Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Very concerned with performance

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Stevew2023
Guide
Guide

So I've had my system for about a week and have tried different adjustments for oposition and sensitivty.

As you can see by the two screen captures from two sequential vidios below, in the forst one there is no box on my porch. In the second one there is. Not one frame of anyone coming up to my door and leaving a package. This is absolutly unacceptable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

15 REPLIES 15
nicholshornlake
Luminary
Luminary

I would think probably the fov is too large.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

You have a much too wide field of view.

The best location for a front-yard camera is away from your house (oriented) towards the house. So, unless you have a tree in your front yard that you could mount your camera to looking at your front door, you're not going to get optimal performance from your Wireless Arlo cameras.

In your camera stills I see a section of your house that is offset from your front door by a couple of yards. Looks like it might be your garage. Mount your camera on that section at a point farthest away from your house and orient it towards your walkway/front door. Avoid having the street or sidewalk in the view.

When mounting and orienting your camera keep in mind that motion is best detected in a side-to-side fashion at up to a 20 ft distance.

Stevew2023
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the input. I can't understand how it can pick up some cars going by but miss someone coming up the walk to the front door.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Cars are a large source of IR as well as reflected IR.  Humans, not so much.

Stevew2023
Guide
Guide

Understood but I didnt buy this to detect cars.

Stevew2023
Guide
Guide

Here is a picture of the front of my house. Right now the camera is mounted between the two livingroom windows on the right (you can see the little black dot). I have another one down the left side of the house towards the back to capture the driveway that goes down that side.

Any suggestions on better mounting places?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Front of house.JPG

nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have my cameras mounted according to the Netgear recommendation and I'm have the same issues. The motion detection is a joke.I've tried so many combinations on the settings and have basically gotten nowhere. It's a hit and miss deal. I've given up. The truth is Arlo are not meant for security cameras. Read the forum and listen to all the complainers.....

Stevew2023
Guide
Guide

I've read all the complaints, unfortunately it was AFTER I purchased. I tend to agree that as a security camera it is a joke. I will try contacting support which I also hear is not the greatest. 

Thanks!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Steve...

it it does look it can work  from the pics you posted....

I would first lower the camera a bit and aim it towards the house more ...you really want to center on the walkway. Eliminate the main road.

Once that is done , go into pan/zoom and shrink the picture view about 15%. Now recenter the view back to "center" on the walk way.  

Test it at about 90%sense and see if that helps.

Tom

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
ronocca
Tutor
Tutor

Wouldn't FOV affect efficiency not performance? Why didn't the camera detect the person who dropped off the box?

Understanding that may help others set up their system in less than optimal environments. Or even in poor environments such as mine with trees in every direction and a wind that blows from sun up to sun down.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

I'd try mounting the camera either at the top left corner of the left window rather than between the two windows or left of your front door all the way in the corner. That way you're closer to the front door. Make sure to point down the camera far enough so that the street is not in the view and is not triggered by passing cars.

See the red circles for my proposed mounting points in the picture below:

Arlo Front Of House.png

However, for covering and capturing potential break-in activity at the front door and windows (rather than of delivery personnel drop-off activity) I'd mount the camera left of the door, but at the edge of your second-floor front wall, closest to the street and orient the camera towards your front door and windows.

Stevew2023
Guide
Guide

Well, I feel really stupid because I didn't even realize that you could do that.

I cant move the front camera any closer towards the house with the current mount.

Here is how they look now. Hopefully this will help.

Thanks so much for the tip TomMac!

Steve

Screen Shot 2016-07-16 at 3.32.47 PM.png

Stevew2023
Guide
Guide

Schorschi wrote:

I'd try mounting the camera either at the top left corner of the left window rather than between the two windows or left of your front door all the way in the corner. That way you're closer to the front door. Make sure to point down the camera far enough so that the street is not in the view and is not triggered by passing cars.

See the red circles for my proposed mounting points in the picture below:

Arlo Front Of House.png

However, for covering and capturing potential break-in activity at the front door and windows (rather than of delivery personnel drop-off activity) I'd mount the camera left of the door, but at the edge of your second-floor front wall, closest to the street and orient the camera towards your front door and windows.

Cant see your picture.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yeah, you'll have to wait 'til Monday to see it. The moderators have to authorize all posted images and they aren't usually on the forum on weekends.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ronocca wrote:

Wouldn't FOV affect efficiency not performance? Why didn't the camera detect the person who dropped off the box?

We all know there is a delay in the Arlo cams from trigger to record, some like me < 2 seconds, others more...so you have to eliminate extra areas to make the camera more sensitive in the areas you really want and still have the trigger event.

With the Arlo camera, the PIR that detects motion covers the ENTIRE field of view...

If you shrink the actual view in pan/zoom it doesn't effect the PIR. The PIR still covers the entire FOV

But the PIR seems to be more sensitive on the edges, and by shrinking the view, your allowing the trigger event to occurr before the subject comes into the cropped picture... making it appear more responsive and while still using the edges of the PIR sensor. ( sort of slight of hand )

Biggest thing i see is users trying to cover to large an area... they pick up cars ( big ir reflectors ) but not people so much... I found the PIR really only to work to a max of 20 ft on people so try and keep the subject in range and less .

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation