Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Arlo_User_2
Aspirant
Aspirant

My outdoor Arlo cameras tend to detect motion when it is windy outside.  I was thinking I might use IFTTT to look at the wind speed from the closest Weather Underground station, and decrease the cameras' sensitivity when the wind speed is above 6 MPH.  I haven't cracked some of the steps though:

1.  It seems like the only options for a mode in IFTTT are Armed or Disarmed.  I guess I could decrease the sensitivity for Armed and then use another mode with higher sensitivity at other times, though how to switch to higher sensitivity when the wind dies down seems to be a problem.

2.  It appears that there is a Weather Underground trigger for "wind speed above X", but not for "wind speed below X".  That's not necessarily fatal because the better solution is probably to lower sensitivity for a half hour or so after wind speeds exceeds 6 MPH and then raise sensitivity after the half hour passes.

3.  Is there a way to implement a timer so that once wind speed exceeds 6 MPH, the mode goes to Armed (or another mode), and then the timer counts down 30 minutes, and then the mode goes to something else with higher sensitivity?

Has anyone solved this problem?  I have a Wink hub but it does not have the ability to change the Arlo's mode.  I also have a Smartthings hub though I have not yet connected it to the Arlo cameras and am not sure what settings it can affect.

Any help is much appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I have a separate mode for when windy and just manually change to it in the Arlo app when needed

Arlo_User_2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have that mode as well, but manually switching to it when the wind picks up and switching out of it when the wind dies down is an annoyance.  It would be great if it could be automated.  I do something similar during the morning sunrise hours (based on Arlo's calendar settings) and it has really cut down on spurious motion detects.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation