Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Twittemus
Initiate
Initiate

I have motion alerts sent as text messages rather than email.  The verbiage on these messages is unnecessarilly ponderous:

"alerts@arlo.com (Arlo Has Just Detected Motion) This Just In? Hi Paul, Arlo has detected motion on one of your cameras. Here are the details: Bridge at 7:52:11 AM MDT on Sep 15 2015"

Upon receipt, these words scroll across the notification bar of the phone.  This takes some seconds.  And when a car comes down the driveway, I get alerts from at least 3 cameras.

Wouldn't something like this be more efficient?:

"alerts@arlo.com - Arlo has detected motion on Bridge at 7:52:11 AM MDT on Sep 15, 1015"

Don't really need a friendly personal greeting or redundant motion detection comments.

Can I change this?  Can I request a change.  I'd just use Push Notifications if they were reliable.

7 REPLIES 7
mirthful1
Tutor
Tutor

That's a good suggestion.  I get that it's tricky on the iPhone (like what I have) to 'alert'.  You have 2 choices:  email or notification.  Email is clunky in most cases.  Notification is much better.  But you point out some weakneses (e.g., don't notify me about 3 separate 'events' related to the same underlying 'event').  But to Arlo's POV, how is it supposed to know that your car and you are all related?  It could say, hey, I just had 3 events all triggered within the same minute... let's group those together.  That'd work.  It's not critical that I get the notification in seconds.... wait for a bit and then group the related events (in a time sense) into a single 'notification'.  

My main Ask is for a "On/Off" button of sorts that I could place near our main door.  It's a wireless node that basically turns notification on and off... it's for convenience.  Like the old Staples "That was Easy" button.... or the amazon "buttons" that order your detergent.  Have a couple Arlo buttons that 'toggle' the mode.

Anyways, they need to keep iterating on this... as of now, it's nice, but not Uterrly Compelling... yet.

Twittemus
Initiate
Initiate

I take full responsibility for getting 3 alerts from 3 cameras when a car comes down the long driveway.  I want that.  But my quality of life would improve dramatically if the message texts were concise and to the point.  E.g., "Motion on camera Bridge at 5am."  That's everything I think, anyone needs.

btw - Getting alerts from 3 cameras operating on 2 base stations gives nice redundancy in case of the failure of a single component. Or, if a human were to try to sneak onto the property, I might only get one alert.

BB
Aspirant
Aspirant
Abbreviate the email please! For sake of both texts and emails.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You have the two main choices, pushes OR email...

Pushes are good but for cameras either all on or all off ( android and ios )

Email is camera selectable and pretty good response but a bit more trouble to read for me on my android phone..(.And Yes, the sent messg should be programable and or short if wanted )

I orig posted using email to sms messg by using phone# as email address... most service providers allow this.

For me, the text messg pops up on screen quickly and I can look and then move on or check out,  for me it speeds thing up as to getting a notice alert.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Brid
Aspirant
Aspirant
I haven't seen the text option for android, only email. Did I miss this setting somehow?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Brid wrote:
I haven't seen the text option for android, only email. Did I miss this setting somehow?

No , you didn't miss anything... Just that most carriers allow you email to be sent as a text messg ( sms) byt using the phone number.

On my android phine it handles text messgs easier than emails and displayes them differently too.

see old thread;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Using-text-messg-instead-of-email-for-notificat...

Morse is faster than texting!
Grits
Aspirant
Aspirant
After several tries over a couple of days, I finally convinced my Arlo Pro camera to send me text messages when motion is detected. This is what I received. All I needed was that motion was detected. Can this be fixed? 1 of 10 FRM:alerts@arlo.com SUBJ:Arlo Has Just Detected Motion MSG: This Just InaΔ¿ body{ (Con't 2 of 10 background:#EEEEEE; padding:45px 5%; margin:0; position:relative; (Con't) 3 of 10 display:block; font-family:Arial, Tahoma, sans-serif; cursor:default; (Con't) 4 of 10 line-height:normal; } a,img{ outline:none; border:none; (Con' 5 of 10 } .fixed-table-layout{ display:table; table-layout:fixed; }
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation