Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Something obvious not triggering motion detection

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Tulley
Apprentice
Apprentice

For a third time motion detection has not triggered for a car in front of my house. Take a look at this mornings example below. only 45min later it had gone but not recorded. It records people walking past, my car leaving the drive and even the edge of my cat's arse as he jumps onto the gate but keeps missing cars on my path (some, not all). Sensitivity on 100%. Is this right???? note only this time was it night and day before and after. normally just daytime I notice it. Its pointing downward with it in the middle of the shot, the car obviously leaves from right to left bot directly towards the camera.....

before:

http://s12.postimg.org/c4v8c7v7t/Screenshot_2015_12_03_08_39_46.jpg

After: http://s24.postimg.org/5zkm5nrnl/Screenshot_2015_12_03_08_39_55.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tulley,

In the screenshot you provided it looks like the car in question is quite some distance from the location of the camera. For best performance Arlo is designed to detect motion within 5-20 feet from the cameras position. This could explain why the camera was unable to pick up the car in your screenshot. For more information please take a look at the following article: How do I place my Arlo camera?

JamesC

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tulley,

In the screenshot you provided it looks like the car in question is quite some distance from the location of the camera. For best performance Arlo is designed to detect motion within 5-20 feet from the cameras position. This could explain why the camera was unable to pick up the car in your screenshot. For more information please take a look at the following article: How do I place my Arlo camera?

JamesC

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

I don't have personal experience with how the Arlo cameras react to cars, because I don't have any cameras directed at the street, but given that an infrared (IR) sensor is used in them to trigger a recording event, I think it's not easy for the IR rays to make it to the Arlo sensor through a car's hood, perhaps even less so when the car engine is cold.

In other words, since IR is used in Arlo cameras, it appears to me to be aimed towards being triggered by living beings that emit IR by metabolizing.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation