Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
MLBinVA
Star
Star

Would like to be able to extend the recording time when the camera senses motion.  At the moment I get lots of ~10-15 second clips and on a regular basis it will stop recording even when there are still people moving in the video.  I'd like to be able to set a default min record time or something of that sort ideally 20-30 seconds.  The camera just doesn't really do the job if it quits recordign before people are no longer in the vicinity.  I know this will adversly effect battery life but I'd like to be able to make that decesion or possibly set it so that from 100-50% battery it would record for 30 seconds minimum then from 50-25% drop back to 20 seconds and <25 only for as long as motion is detected...

Seems like that would be a simple update.

7 REPLIES 7
Streak2
Master Master
Master
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I would take a guess your using "record till motion stops" ... That option seems to stop early if the camera doesn't select motion continuously... change over to a "fixed" time in the rule

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
MLBinVA
Star
Star

Thanks for the sugestions and yes I'm using record until motion stops becasue that seemed to make the most sense, but it has it's limitations since it loses the detection depending on distance that way and to just set it to record for 30 sec etc won't either, there needs to be a this and that option.

The reason I say this is for example the other day I had some "suspicious" people in the side yard but the camera quit recording before they were out of the field of view.  My issue is sure I had them on camera but if they did something after it quit recording there's nothing I can do which makes the camera kinda pointless, I need it to catch who is doing what and them in the act if there's a chance to prosecute...  So in this case I knew who was there but if they did something after it quit recording I'm SOL.  If I used the record for x seconds then they'd have to do something in that timeframe to be recorded neither are ideal.

That's why I'd like to be able to set it to record when it see's motion and stop after a minum time or x seconds after it no longer detects motion.  That may not even be perfect and I know would eat batteries but would at least be a better solution for me than what's currently available.

Thanks for the help and ideas though, this forum so far does seem to be MUCH more helpful than the phone support.

MLBinVA
Star
Star

Had another good example of why I'd like a hybrid between time and movement based recording today.  Camera picked up movement when I was around my car but as soon as I was behind / getting in it quit recording, if I was trying to break in it woulnd't have recorded the attempt...  Need to be able to set it to record for an additional period of time after it stops detecting movement to be able to capture what happens next, just because it doens't detect movement anymore doesn't mean nothing is happening.

MLBinVA
Star
Star

In the examples above just setting a time doens't fix it since you never know how long someone may "hang out" before doing something that I'd want on video unless setting it that way it will keep recording until it stops seeing movement and then applies the time.  If that's the case I misunderstood and will absolutely solve my issue.

KingsFan1
Initiate
Initiate

I'd like to get a resolution to this one as I have the same concerns. I use my Arlos to monitor my mom's caregiver during the day while I am at work and I get a lot of those 10 second clips that stop recording while people are still in the room.

So if setting a record time is just a set and therefore limited time, that doesn't help. But if it detects motion, records, and then continues to record for x seconds after the motion is no longer detected that  would be helpful.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@MLBinVA wrote:

In the examples above just setting a time doens't fix it since you never know how long someone may "hang out" before doing something that I'd want on video unless setting it that way it will keep recording until it stops seeing movement and then applies the time.  If that's the case I misunderstood and will absolutely solve my issue.

That is true... but with the current limitations of the system, I have found a fix time to work better.

Mind that the camera takes about 10 secs to reset between recordings, so you may lose that amount but it will start againd for the same amount after.

The only option would be an AC powered camera where you can keep it recording all the time along with the triggered events ( option is the CVR plan )

PS; alng wih some motion triggered floodlights... alway found lights coming on is a good "get outta here quick" setting

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation