Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Security risk with Arlo app having to be left open.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

"If you log out of the Arlo app on your smartphone or mobile device, you will stop receiving push notifications." I don't understand the technicalities of apps but it means that the security of your Arlo system when in operation is therefore dependant on your smartphones security. Have I got this right - if you lose your phone or it is stolen you have to rely on its security to stop access to your cameras and library.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes , you have to keep the app open on the phone device to get pushes... But not emails.

Also, yes the phones passcode is the only thing stopping someone if your phone is stolen. Most phones have pretty good passcode levels and with iOS u can lock or clear your phone if stolen/ lost

Not to mention, just go to any other device and change the Arlo password.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope, there's always the email notifications and web access.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the response jguerdat. I'm sorry I didn't make it very clear but my question/statement relates more to having to leave the Arlo app open when the cameras are in use. If your phone is stolen or lost then the person who steals or finds it only needs to get past your phone's passcode to be able to  access your cameras. Not understanding how apps work, what is the point then of having a secure Arlo login ?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes , you have to keep the app open on the phone device to get pushes... But not emails.

Also, yes the phones passcode is the only thing stopping someone if your phone is stolen. Most phones have pretty good passcode levels and with iOS u can lock or clear your phone if stolen/ lost

Not to mention, just go to any other device and change the Arlo password.

Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

TomMac wrote:

Also, yes the phones passcode is the only thing stopping someone if your phone is stolen. Most phones have pretty good passcode levels and with iOS u can lock or clear your phone if stolen/ lost.

You can do the same with Android, depending on version and/or apps.  Use Google's Device Manager app to set up location monitoring and deactivation capabilities.  It's also accessible through the Google page https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation