Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Recording times have changed since app update

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
jumpernz
Tutor
Tutor

Has anyone else got this problem? I have a current trouble ticket with Netgear support but I thought I'd share this with the community to see if the issue is common. With the recording times set at 10, 15 or 20 seconds, I get recordings of 14, 19 and 24 seconds. They are all 4 seconds longer than the setting. This happens on all three cameras. I prefer to have 10 seconds recording to try and make the batteries last as long as possible but with 14 seconds of operation each time the batteries are being used 40% more than they should. This problem only appeared at around the same time as the latest app update. Before then, 10 seconds was 10 seconds, etc. Cheers, Frank.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

See the thread below. Apparently Netgear is aware of this problem.  With all the bugs in this new release adding 4 seconds of recording time is the least of the problems they should address.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Wire-Free-camera/Recorded-duration-increased/m-p/1023948#U1023...

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Sidetrackmack
Aspirant
Aspirant

I noticed this as well.  I can no longer find this setting to adjust it within the ipad app.   Also noticed there is not an updated user guide for the new app.  Pretty annoying really..

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

See the thread below. Apparently Netgear is aware of this problem.  With all the bugs in this new release adding 4 seconds of recording time is the least of the problems they should address.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Wire-Free-camera/Recorded-duration-increased/m-p/1023948#U1023...

jumpernz
Tutor
Tutor

10 seconds since 9 January 🙂

Mikeymike513
Initiate
Initiate
Yes The recording time do you folks to 10 seconds since the update how do I make it record longer there is no setting for this anymore?
jumpernz
Tutor
Tutor

I can still change mine OK. I click on mode, then on my schedule (I only have a couple), then on one of my three rules, then on the green pencil at the right of "Record video". I can slide the dot along from 10 seconds to 120 seconds. 

Readbreast
Aspirant
Aspirant

But, after leaving the page that allows you to set the length of the recordings try going back in again.  You will find it has reset to 10 seconds because there is NO SAVE button after making the choice.

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
If you use the back arrow to leave the page after changing the setting the next page you land on has a SAVE CHANGES option. This is on IOS I have no idea about android.
Readbreast
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Showguy that worked.  It is not intuitive at all, but at least there is a way to make the chages stick.  Thank you for your help.  I have one other question.  I had two cameras that needed new batteries.  I put new batteries in each of them.  Both cameras are now working just fine.  But, on the camera page on my Arlo manager, one of the camera icons is still orange.  I have logged out and back in several times but nothing seems to change the color of the icon on that one camera.  On the other camera that also has new batteries the battery icon has changed back to black (for full).  Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Two things come to mind. Try opening the camera door of the camera in issue. Make sure the batteries are in correct. This will also reboot the camera. Also there is the outside possibility you have some bad batteries. Not likely but has happened. Good luck.
StevieB54
Tutor
Tutor

Why do I get video clip times ranging from 1 sec. to 10 sec. when the record time is set to 10 sec.?  If the camera is triggered and it doesn't sense any more motion does it automatically cut it short?

jumpernz
Tutor
Tutor

Sorry I don't know. That's weird. All my recordings are back to 10 seconds again since they fixed the extra 4 seconds bug, even the recordings where there is no movement after the first one or two seconds.

I would think you have some other fault, unrelated to this bug fix, but I have no idea what it would be. Sorry.

StevieB54
Tutor
Tutor

Defective camera?

jumpernz
Tutor
Tutor
Possibly a defective camera or battery or distance too great? Do you have other cameras doing the same thing?
Readbreast
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, the camera is doing the same thing and has been set in the same place it has been in for the past 3 months.  I will try changing the batteries again and see if that helps. 

barngirl
Aspirant
Aspirant

recording times on my cameras have changed since update to 10 seconds.   I can't say one good thing about the update.  Very disappointed Arlo!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Like all the other settings, check your modes.  Sounds like you're using the default modes rather than your own creations.  Mode tab, select system, create your own mode or edit existing ones. Make whatever chages you want to recording time, sensitivity, and notifications. 

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation