Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 48 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 13 In Conversation
StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

I'm still trying to figure out how Push Notifications work on android.  

My Android Phone (4.4) sometimes gets them...sometimes not.    Seems to be related to if the device is locked or not.   However the email notifications always come in.

My Android tablet (4.4 wifi only, always on) doesn't seem to receive them unless the Arlo app is launched/active prior to the movement.

I'm not blaming Arlo app for this.  Just trying to figure out if they are supposed to come into multiple devices even if they are locked and/or do not have the app currently running.

======

PS I prefer the Push Notifications as they occur at the beginning of the movement, unlike the emails which seem to get sent at the end/recording completed.

48 REPLIES 48
thegould
Aspirant
Aspirant

well - after an hour on the phone with them trying every setting and using mobil data and then wifi - my next action i have to do for them is to find another wifi away from my home and sign on using that wifi and then test it with someone home here to trigger the notifications - arlo states they believe 'it could be my ISP' - don't think so but i am willing to help them test it

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

thegould,

Welcome to the community! Thank you for working with support on this issue and please keep the community updated on the results. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4 on android 5.0.1 as we speak and have not been able to replicate any issue with push notifications from my end. I will continue to investigate this issue further and let you know if I find anything different.

JamesC

StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

Just to add to my earlier "me too"

I tested again, and I received both notifications (a) when active, (b) when device was locked.

So it appears to be working for  me currently.   Not sure why it didn't alert to one 2 hrs ago

thegould
Aspirant
Aspirant

still having issues - no push notifications - have uninstalled, re-installed, tried a different ISP - nothing working - gonna call them again

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Frankly, that's be best way to go.  These forums aren't the official way to get help but a trouble ticket (should) actually  get tracked.

thegould
Aspirant
Aspirant

i have had a ticket case #25684451 opened since 8/31 and will not let them close it until it is resolved

thegould
Aspirant
Aspirant

here's the update for my phone (wife gets intermittent 'pushes' on her's - we both have samsung galaxy S5)

- i have tried all the tests arlo suggested including

- uninstall/reinstall the app

- power down arlo router as well as my phone 

- toggle the notification panel on my phone

- went to an entirely different ISP and tested

- verified i have the latest software version for samsung and for arlo

- i DO get push notifications from other apps as well as ATT (my phone provider)

i have TIME-WARNER as my ISP and all other services work just fine

ARLO has escalated this issue to their highest support level and i am waiting for their reply

PS - we have also had occasion where a movement (we tested this ourselves) was never archived in the library

thegould
Aspirant
Aspirant

well - u have given up getting the push notifications - they work on my wife's samsung phne but not mine - i just live with it

on another note- my wife just did the update on her phone and the battery life monitor is gone

i have not updated my phone so we still can see battery life

questions: when will battery life be restored in the new version?

when do i HAVE to install the latest version on my phone? 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

thegould wrote:

well - u have given up getting the push notifications - they work on my wife's samsung phne but not mine - i just live with it

questions: when will battery life be restored in the new version?

when do i HAVE to install the latest version on my phone? 

Battery icon gone is known and Netgear says will fix same... Have to update when it stops working , it seems a lot of the update is to bring in the new Q cam

( back up your videos )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This problem is back with the new update!  Please fix!

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Robert, just in case, you do know the pushes are in the rules per camera now .. maybe a toggle off-save, toggle - on will fix

Morse is faster than texting!
StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

I just tested on my device.  Push notifications still working on my Android while device is locked.

I didn't have to reset anything since the upgrade.

StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

I apologize !!!!

It indeed is not working properly.    My initial test did have a locked device....but the screen was probably still on.  A real world event just happened and it did not work.  My device was both locked and screen off this time.

So I agree.....it's not working in the same case as we originally reported back in February.

Mjp103
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the latest app (12/30 update) on a Nexus 7 and a Galaxy 6. I do not get push notifications unless I am logged into the app. I can sleep or lock the phone, makes no difference, as long as I am logged into the Arlo app. Don't think I had to be logged in when I initially installed the system.
Nifer
Luminary
Luminary

Im not sure if this will help, but you may wish to check #10 on this list: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Q-Troubleshooting/Frequently-asked-quot-How-To-quot-questions-...

mspops
Aspirant
Aspirant
I've been using Arlo for about 1 year with minimal issues on Android KitKat & Lollipop on various LG & Samsung phones (long painful story dealing w/ Verizon & T-Mobile). Currently, I'm running it on Samsung Galaxy S6 w/ Lollipop & don't forsee another phone change for at least 13 months. The couple of issues I did have at the beginning were very quickly resolved with Netgear's Arlo STELLAR support team. Nonetheless, after receiving the recent forced update, I am now only receiving intermittent push notifications whereas before the forced update, I was receiving every single one of them on a timely manner. When I searched in the community forum for help with this, I'm seeing that it's mostly iOS phones that have been having issues with push notifications post the recent forced update. I've confirmed that the push notifications are checked on both cameras already. Does anyone have any suggestions?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mspops,

Are you experiencing this behavior when using your mobile data or when you are connected to your wireless network? Is this behavior consistent regardless of which connection you are on?

JamesC

Obiwan88
Guide
Guide

I'm still using a Samsung Galaxy 3 and Arlo Push Notifications came in 100% of the time before the recent update.  Now I get 0%...zip...zilch...none...nada...nichts.  Nothing changed on the phone and Notifications on the phone are enabled.  Please help, thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This has been addressed many times. The answer is to enable notifications in your modes. Mode tab, select system, edit modes and set notifications.

Obiwan88
Guide
Guide

Yes....Push Notifications is checked on all cameras, but since the most recent update, the Push Notifications do not come through to my Samsung.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Check your app settings in the phone (device settings for the phone).  Make sure it's enabled or try reinstalling the app. Do you have another device to test it with?

Obiwan88
Guide
Guide

I did both of those things and also loaded up the app on my wifes iPhone who previously did not have it loaded.  She does not get Push Notifications either, so it's gotta be something on the Arlo end.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Obiwan88,

Are you using a custom mode? Do push notifications work if you use a default mode such as "Armed"?

Consider creating an entirely new mode from scratch and be sure to enable push notifications when creating the rules for this new mode.

Please let me know if you continue to experience this issue!

JamesC

Obiwan88
Guide
Guide

So I did create new modes and voila...I'm now getting notifications. But I still think the website setup is very confusing and should be made more user-friendly.  Thanks for the help.