Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Push Notifications: Late/Intermittant/Erratic

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
iSage
Luminary
Luminary

Has anyone else noticed that the Push Notifications for detected motion, have been late and erratic the past 3-4 days?
     I have 3 ARLO wireless cameras that are set to send push notifications (as well as record and send email), whenever motion is detected on any of them. Push Notifications are supposed to be sent to both my iPhone 6 as well as my iPad. They usually always come in simultaneously on each device, but not lately. (the email notification and recording are working fine though)
      I've noticed in the past few days that some notifications are coming at the same time on my iPhone and iPad as they have always done, but very many are not.  I might get the push notification on my iPhone, but not on my iPad till up till 20 minutes later (and vice-versa: will get notification on iPad but not iPhone).

Sometimes, the notification doesn't show up at all on one device or the other!
     I've rebooted/restarted everything, including the ARLO base, my router and modem, and both my devices.  Still the same intermittant problem exists.
     Was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue?  Thanks in advance,
~Susan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
iSage
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC wrote:

iSage,

Due to this being an ongoing intermittent issue, I would advise you to contact the Arlo Support Team for more in depth troubleshooting. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns please don't hesitate to private message me. I would be happy to help in any way I can.

JamesC

JamesC,
   When you previously replied to me (today, at 2:54pm ET), you mentioned you would be escalating my issue of my problem with all of a sudden no longer getting Email notifications.
   Did you indeed do that (escalate the issue inhouse)??  Because, almost one hour after that, I deliberately set off all of my cameras (by walking past them) to see if I would get any emails.
  Well, I got the Email notifications once again, starting at 3:48pm ET (4 hours since they had stopped).  I've also been checking for the past 2 hours since then, setting off my cameras and the emails notifications are coming in immediately (as are the Push notifications and the Videos in the libray).  Though, I never did get any of the earlier Email nofications that were missing when I reported it above.  I was wondering if you had indeed escalated and reported my problem when you said you would, and possibly if that was the reason they started working again??  If not, then whatever "hiccup" the ARLO server had this time around, cleared itself up.   Thanks again

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

iSage,

I have not been able to replicate this issue.

Both devices you mention are iOS devices. Do you have/notice this on any Android devices as well? (ignore if you do not have an Android device to test)

Are you still seeing this behavior?

JamesC

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC wrote:

iSage,

I have not been able to replicate this issue.

Both devices you mention are iOS devices. Do you have/notice this on any Android devices as well? (ignore if you do not have an Android device to test)

Are you still seeing this behavior?

JamesC

Hi James,

I do not have any Android devices to test this on... and yes, still seeing this behavior - saw it yesterday several times, and even just now when someone came to my front door - got the iPhone push notification right away, but the iPad notification did not come until almost 2 minutes later. Both are on the same network/wi-fi connection when I'm at home.

~Susan

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

iSage,

Are both iOS devices connected to the same WiFi network or is one or the other or both connected to a mobile data network?

Are both devices utilizing the same account log in or is one signed in to a shared account via the Grant Access feature?

JamesC

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC wrote:

iSage,

Are both iOS devices connected to the same WiFi network or is one or the other or both connected to a mobile data network?

Are both devices utilizing the same account log in or is one signed in to a shared account via the Grant Access feature?

JamesC

Hi again James,

As I mentioned in my previous reply above, both my iPhone as well as my iPad are connected to the same wi-fi network when I'm home.

No shared accounts/no grant access features... both utilize the same account log in. 

While I still experienced the same problems again yesterday as I described when I started this thread, I haven't had any problems (so far!) today. 

So far today, all push notifications have come in simultaneously on both my iPhone and iPad. 

I hope whatever problem/hiccup which was causing the intermittant delays/lateness/not showing up at all, has been resolved after experiencing these problems for a week.   Keeping fingers crossed! 🙂

~Susan

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

Spoke too soon.  It was good for about two days, where I didn't notice any delays on either one of my iOS devices when push notifications came through after motion was detected. But experienced several yesterday (Sunday, 7/17/16) where once again, a push notification came through on one device but came much later or not at all on the other.  Don't know about today yet - it's early morning here and no motion yet.

If I didn't have two devices, then I would have never realized the problem to begin with.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

iSage,

Which device is producing the late push notifications? Is it consistently on the same device or does it vary between the two?

JamesC

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC wrote:

iSage,

Which device is producing the late push notifications? Is it consistently on the same device or does it vary between the two?

JamesC

JamesC:

Please, scroll up and read my original post that started this thread 10 days ago (on 7/10/16) - it contains the info you are asking for.
  But I'll sum it all up here once again:

1) 3 ARLO wireless cams, all set to send push notifications (as well as record and send email), whenever motion is detected on any of them, to both my iPhone as well as my iPad (I have ONLY iOS devices, no Androids)

2) iPhone and iPad are both on SAME home wi-fi network.

3) For about 2 WEEKS now, the push notifications are NOT always coming in simultaneously on my two devices (but email alerts as well as library videos are coming in on time)

4) Often, I'll get the push notification on my iPhone, but not till anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes later on my iPad (if at all). Or vice-versa: I'll get the push notification on my iPad, but then it might take 1-20 minutes to get that notification on my iPhone (if at all).  

5) This behavior is intermittent in the past 2 weeks - sometimes it works flawlessly and I'll get the push notifications at the same time on both devices, other times not, as I described in #4 above.

6) I have re-booted/reset all devices, including the 3 cameras (batteries are fresh as well), the ARLO base station, my modem, my wi-fi router, my iPhone, and my iPad.  This made NO difference in the behavior of the push notificiations - they are still intermittently coming in late (or not at all), on one device or the other.

7) There are NO shared accounts and NO grant access features.  Both my devices utilize the same login/account.  

😎  Again, this behavior over the past two weeks is internittent, but worrisome from a security standpoint nonetheless.  If I am home, and get only one of the two push notifications, it's not as worrisome as when I'm NOT home, and only have my iPhone with me and I don't get the push notification that motion was detected.

~Susan

EP707
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same problem I am not getting notifications on my I phone. The email are fine. I only have the cameras for about 20 daysHELP
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

EP707 wrote:
I am having the same problem I am not getting notifications on my I phone. The email are fine. I only have the cameras for about 20 daysHELP

One thing to be aware of is don't sign out of the ios app... exit by swipe or main home button so the app runs in background.  If you do sign out, you won't get pushes.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
iSage
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC:

It's now been over 3 weeks since I started this thread/discussion, and after I gave you all my info several times in this same thread/discussion, yet you never got back to me at all after making me give you the same info over and over.

So now, 3½ weeks later, it *appears* the PUSH ALERT notifications are working correctly (at least at this very moment), but in the past two hours today (since 11:58am east coast time), it stopped sending me EMAIL notifications when motion is detected on ANY of my 3 wireless ARLO cams!

It also seems like it's quite rare for ALL alerts and notifications (Push notifications, Email notifications and/or Video in the library) to work correctly at the SAME time!!  I'm really quite weary from all this reporting, and various features not working in the 9 months since I bought these cams, including having to ship back one of my cams (at my own expense, even though it was only a couple of weeks old), which recorded everything in a reddish-pink hue.

I changed NOTHING - I changed NO settings/mode etc., but re-checked my settings any way - all active rules are supposed to send me a Push notification as well as an Email as well as Record when motion is detected on ANY of my 3 ARLO Wireless cams.

I sent myself test emails from a different email account as well as had two friends send me test emails from their email accouts (all on different email server than me), and all came through with NO problems immediately.  So, it's not my email account/server.

Motion was detected on my 3 cameras since 11:58am (ET) today  - 6 so far to be exact (1:21pm, 1:42pm, two at 1:48pm, two at 1:49pm ET), and while I got the Push notifications on both my iPad and iPhone, as well as the 6 videos did show in my Library, I never got ANY of the 6 email alerts

Is there a problem with Netgear's server today by some chance?  Because earlier this morning at one point I went to view today's Library, and it wouldn't load.  I then got an orange-colored message come up on top of my ARLO Library screen that said something to the effect "We are sorry we cannot load due to server being down". I closed the screen and tried a few minutes later, and it loaded that time.

SOMETHING is surely going for me now to get ANY emails since this morning, even though motion was detected at the times I listed above on my 3 cameras.

Once again, for all my details and info, please scroll up and see everything I provided from 7/20/16 and earlier in this thread. Thank you.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

iSage,

I apologize for the lack of followup. I am glad to hear push notifications are now working for you as expected.

I have tested email alerts and was able to receive both push notifications and alerts when motion was detected. I am not aware of any server issues but will escalate your inquiry and post back if I find out more.

And just to be sure, Arlo alert emails are not arriving in a spam folder and are not being filtered in your email in any way, correct?

JamesC

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC wrote:

iSage,

I apologize for the lack of followup. I am glad to hear push notifications are now working for you as expected.

I have tested email alerts and was able to receive both push notifications and alerts when motion was detected. I am not aware of any server issues but will escalate your inquiry and post back if I find out more.

And just to be sure, Arlo alert emails are not arriving in a spam folder and are not being filtered in your email in any way, correct?

JamesC

James C:

No, nothing is in SPAM folder.  As I previously said, I was getting all Email alerts on time with no problems up to 11:58am this morning here on the east coast. Right this second, it is 3:05pm here on the east coast and I'm now missing 7 Email alerts that never came in within the past 3 hours at this point

My email server is working fine with no delays as I pointed out earlier as well, when I had friends send me test emails as well as when I emailed myself from my other account/email server. I'm also getting all my usual emails as well as my usual monthly bills and subsequent payment confirmations after I pay them with no delays or problems.  I have checked and re-checked settings upteen times (even though they have all always been the same for the past 9 monthd!), and all is good there as well.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

iSage,

Due to this being an ongoing intermittent issue, I would advise you to contact the Arlo Support Team for more in depth troubleshooting. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns please don't hesitate to private message me. I would be happy to help in any way I can.

JamesC

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC wrote:

iSage,

JamesC

JamesC,
   When you previously replied to me (today, at 2:54pm ET), you mentioned you would be escalating my issue of my problem with all of a sudden no longer getting Email notifications.
   Did you indeed do that (escalate the issue inhouse)??  Because, almost one hour after that, I deliberately set off all of my cameras (by walking past them) to see if I would get any emails.
  Well, I got the Email notifications once again, starting at 3:48pm ET (4 hours since they had stopped).  I've also been checking for the past 2 hours since then, setting off my cameras and the emails notifications are coming in immediately (as are the Push notifications and the Videos in the libray).  Though, I never did get any of the earlier Email nofications that were missing when I reported it above.  I was wondering if you had indeed escalated and reported my problem when you said you would, and possibly if that was the reason they started working again??  If not, then whatever "hiccup" the ARLO server had this time around, cleared itself up.   Thanks again

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

iSage,

I had not yet made a formal escalation. I looked for recent cases of other users who may have reported a similar issue but it seems this was an isolated occurrence. I am glad to hear the email alerts are now coming through as expected.

Please keep me informed if you continue having any issues. Feel free to reach out to me in a private message if needed.

JamesC

bfmed61
Guide
Guide
Cant be logged into 2 devices at the same time for the same acct..1 will kick the other off...if ur using 2 devices then u need separate acct for each and have access granted to the non primary 1
Nabeil
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have three Arlo camera's system, and almost for more than 10 days, one of them keeps sending notifications almost hour and half late, so no videos or notifications for that time
Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation