Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Product safety improvement

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
giridharhb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello All,

I recently purchased this camera from Frys and run into safety issue with one of the camera. 

The 5 out of 8 OEM battery cells (Duracell, part of the system)  were dead while installing the cameras. So, I picked up rechargeable battery from store and installed in other camera. After 2 weeks found that camera with rechargeable battery not working. When I opened it up, one of rechargeable battery got fire inside the camera and melted the internal parts. The camera has become useless and had to throw away. The reason for battery melting inside the camera is due to short circuit. The “+” terminal of camera (at the bottom of battery pack) shorted the “positive” and “negative” battery terminal , resulting in the short circuit of battery and subsequently melting camera parts due to fire.

Would like to suggest ideas to improve product safety,

1. In general, the power housing “Positive” terminal must be Button head type, “negative” terminal to be spring type, . This is one way to warn user to insert the Battery “negative” terminal facing the spring face. This will avoid the accidental shoring of battery “Positive” and “negative” terminals. You might notice this kind of design in tv remote control, flash lights etc.
2. In the Arlo camera, the positive terminal is spring type. This is very unusual and you can expect a fire incidents like what you saw with my camera. 
3. Considering the argument that spring type is good for the "positive" side of the battery, I would ask myself below questions  
a. What if, camera subjected to vibrations
b. What if, camera dropped accidentally,
c. What if the cover pressed with a pressure enough to make the spring make a contact with “negative” terminal

In my opinion , it is serious safety issue and must have some mechanism to address this issue.

Best regards

Giridhar

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TTBOMK, that is why Netgear ONLY supports the approved charger/cells kit by Tenergy

These cells have the protection built in to them to prevent issues.

I would make a guess that the cells you had used were not made by a "quality" manufacturer

Also, the cameras  have been change from the original design two yrs ago.to prevent issues as the terminal are designed NOT to allow the cells to short out.

If you look at the picture, you can see if a button top cell (+) is put in the WRONG way , the + will not make contact with the terminal but will be located in the hole of the terminal ( contact is null ).

Also the + and - signs are clearly cut into the terminal itself to assist in proper placement.

20170414_074533.jpg

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
giridharhb
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Issue I am referring is the spring type contact for +ve battery terminal.  This is very unsual design. You might notice the spring contact intended for -ve side of the battery in devices like tv remote controls, flash lights etc.

In general, the power housing “Positive” terminal must be Button head type, “negative” terminal to be spring type,

This kind of design will avoid the accidental shoring of battery “Positive” and “negative” terminals, whether it is good qulity battery or bad quality battery.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation