Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Privacy masking

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
choruslive
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

Is it possible to do a privacy masking for the motion control feature. So that I can define an area (mask a zone) which will not trigger any recording even if there is a motion (supposing a curtain or fan).

Please suggest.

SD

9 REPLIES 9
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

It does not have that feature.  Maybe its in the works in the near future.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

choruslive wrote:

Hi

Is it possible to do a privacy masking for the motion control feature. So that I can define an area (mask a zone) which will not trigger any recording even if there is a motion (supposing a curtain or fan).

The motion detection on the Arlo system is utilizing an infrared sensor that is outside of the camera's lens embedded in the front panel of the camera.

So, unless Netgear design and market new hardware for the Arlo system, it will be technically impossible to implement zone-detection in your existing Arlo gear like you described above. In other words, even a firmware update some time in the future wouldn't be able to provide your desired functionality, since it's technically impossible to do so.

But, even a moving curtain or fan should not trigger motion events since they don't emit infrared light by themselves. Human and (most) animal bodies do, for instance; or the sun. Only, if the fan and curtain were to reflect infrared light (and were moving, of course) could they trigger an Arlo camera. So, you should position your cameras such that reflections of IR light on moving objects are avoided when those objects must be in the field of view of an Arlo camera.

The advantage of an infrared sensor is, that in most cases, (most) moving (non-living) objects will not trigger a motion detection event in an Arlo camera. So, you could place a camera such that bushes or trees are in the field of view. Even when windy, the moving branches and leaves should not trigger a motion event, since these objects don't emit infrared light.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

"The advantage of an infrared sensor is, that in most cases, (most) moving (non-living) objects will not trigger a motion detection event in an Arlo camera. So, you could place a camera such that bushes or trees are in the field of view. Even when windy, the moving branches and leaves should not trigger a motion event, since these objects don't emit infrared light."

I have ENDLESS video captures that proves this wrong...... 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I would think its more of a reflection of IR

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

TomMac wrote:

I would think its more of a reflection of IR

Yup, exactly. I have a camera that gets all sorts of reflected IR in the afternoon, triggering videos. Doesn't happen often at any other time. I'm trying out a new mount location...

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

So am I safe to "Assume" that moving braches DO in fact set off Motion alerts?

Arlo and Moving tree branches video

The camera which recorded this video is more sensitive to tree branches moving than a human walking from the street > onto the driveway > to the frnt door.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The sun is a great source of IR... be it direct or reflected.

If the sun is reflected off objects ( like leaves ) , yes it can set off a trigger event.  It could also be as simple as the sun moving across the sky and refection is enough to trigger the sensor. ( btw, pretty bright driveway can reflect sometimes )

Morse is faster than texting!
StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

choruslive wrote:

Please suggest.

SD

I may have had success trying this.....I put a short wide tube (maybe an 1.5 inches long) around the black ball on the Arlo.  I believe this limits the motion sensor to a more central area of vision (ie looking through the tube), thus ignoring the plant I have that sways in the wind to the side.   
The good part of this is that although it limits the field of motion, it still records the entire area...since you are not limiting the Lens..just the motion sensor.

I can post a pic if interested.

T9001
Star
Star
I can post a pic if interested.

Late reply, but a pic would be useful if you have one!

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation