Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
4vrnvr
Apprentice
Apprentice

I haven't mounted any outside cameras yet but does anyone know if outside motion flood lights coming on would set off the motion sensor on the camera. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The motion sensor in the camera is prob the same basic system that turns on your motion flood lights... it's a IR type sensor.

ie; an electronic sensor that measures infrared (IR) light radiating from objects in its field of view...sensors don't detect or measure "heat"; instead they detect the infrared radiation emitted or reflected from an object

So the answer should be NO, the light should not turn on the camera recording ( not that I haven't seen crazy things happen now and then 😉  ).

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
NerdGlasses
Star
Star

I've actually been consistently recording a car's headlights turning on (car not moving) every morning at around 5am. Nothing else going on to cause motion detection, so I'm guessing it IS picking up lights in very dark conditions. Just my experiences. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

NerdGlasses wrote:

snip.., so I'm guessing it IS picking up lights in very dark conditions.

Maybe the car headlights puts out more than just visible light or the IR radiation put by the headlights against a 'cool' background set it off.

I know IR from sunlight can set an IR detector off... placement of camera helps ( one of the reasons Netgear says to aim camera downward a bit when mounting )

Jordandawg05
Guide
Guide

i am wondering the same thing about a flood lights.  i am not looking for the outside lights to 'trigger' the camera but to give extra lighting in the event an object is in my driveway and the camera is triggered. i am finding the night vision is decent but with little more lighting outside could be better.  it certainly doesn't hurt if someone walks out and teh flood lights detects teh movement and then triggers teh camera if it its not on.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Any light will help be it IR or normal... even in the IR mode.

More flood lights can help. They do have temp flood lights ( like for chistmas lighting ) to test out where they may help you the most.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

TomMac wrote:
Maybe the car headlights puts out more than just visible light or the IR radiation put by the headlights against a 'cool' background set it off.

Yup, different devices put out interesting radiation. My Valentine 1 radar/laser detectors can be set off when a GMC product with a high-mounted plasma stoplight goes on or when certain HID headlights hit it just right. Both set off the laser detector. The anticollision radar installed in more and more mean cars set off the radar portion...

Jordandawg05
Guide
Guide

i bought one solar flood light off amazon to install above my garage.  i just wanted additional lighting if someone walks close to that section ...doubt it'll trigger the camera but it'll be interesting if it does...

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation