Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Outdoor motion detection range

Discussion stats
TheeBullhead
Guide
Guide
Let me start off by saying I love the idea behind Arlo and it's almost exactly what I'm looking for, but the outdoor motion detection range is, well, terrible.

The system seems to work great indoors, but I've spent the last day and a half trying different mounting locations outdoors and have yet to find the motion detection satisfactory.. I've scoured this board for ideas and have tried them all, different cameras, different locations, different heights, different angles, camera on its side, camera upside down, different sensitivity levels, and nothing seems to work. It seems the only motion I capture is when I am within 6-8 feet of the camera on my way to pick it up to try another location.

At this point I'm about an hour away from returning the system, but I so badly want to make it work that I'm reaching out to all of you in a last ditch effort. Please let me know if you have any other tips or suggestions.

Now I've seen quite a few responses saying the issues are due to people "not using the system as it was intended to be used" but I'm not buying that in my case. All I'm trying to do is mount my 4 cameras to cover my driveway, entry ways, and patio and have them detect motion at the distance of 15 feet as stated.
63 REPLIES 63
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Understand.  One thing that *might* help is moving the base station away from the router.  Can you run an Ethernet cable long enough to reach another room (or have a switch someplace else that has an open port)?  I have motion detection issues but I'm pretty well convinced it's due to position of my cameras, which I'm loathe to change.  As such I have to live with my decision(s).  I have 3 motion-detect lights, too, and setting those the way I want can also be problematic.  Some are very simple, others depend on where they are and how I have to aim them (one is aimed at the very backyard and trains on the VERY nearby tracks set it off on occasion (heat signature? Movement? Air moving branches?)).  Maybe the sensors in these cameras aren't the best but without dissecting one we don't know.  And then there's the potential software issues.  No idea how a typical user would track it down nor how Arlo could design something that satisfies everyone in every situation. It's adequate for my purposes even with my own built-in constraints.  YMMV.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

Understand.  One thing that *might* help is moving the base station away from the router.  Can you run an Ethernet cable long enough to reach another room (or have a switch someplace else that has an open port)?  I have motion detection issues but I'm pretty well convinced it's due to position of my cameras, which I'm loathe to change.  As such I have to live with my decision(s).  I have 3 motion-detect lights, too, and setting those the way I want can also be problematic.  Some are very simple, others depend on where they are and how I have to aim them (one is aimed at the very backyard and trains on the VERY nearby tracks set it off on occasion (heat signature? Movement? Air moving branches?)).  Maybe the sensors in these cameras aren't the best but without dissecting one we don't know.  And then there's the potential software issues.  No idea how a typical user would track it down nor how Arlo could design something that satisfies everyone in every situation. It's adequate for my purposes even with my own built-in constraints.  YMMV.

First, I do aprreciate all you your help trying to find resolution.

Only because I posses a handful of advanced technical certificates in IT/Telecommunications, I find that moving the base station away from my router would not help in any way since PIR motion is a funtion in the camera, not the base station.  (who knows I could be wrong)

I purchased a outdoor camera mount so I could relocate the camera in question to see if it helps, if not  I will be making a trip to Best Buy this weekend to return the system.

On a side note........

I bought the 2 camera system and for $h*** and Grins I swapped the camera locations,  Guess what, the other camera works like a charm all the way down to 60 sensitvity in the same postition.  I passed this along to Netgear tech support and the still want me to try other things. "If it walks like a duck, quacks like duck, it;s a defective camera".....

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think I either misread or got confused between various threads. Yup, agreed that moving the base shouldn't do much, if anything, about the cameras unless there's an issue with signal strength.  I'm a retired sysadmin with a background as an electronics tech so I'm very hardware-based (software is a necessary evil!). I love trying things out and diagnosing complete systems so I know where you're coming from. Stand your ground. I suppose you could try the place you bought from to see if they'd replace things.

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice
That's a GREAT idea. I will try the most simple approach. All the other suggestions are appreciated but bottom line, motion detection if anything should be occurring less, not more. I literally had two recordings occur within the same minute. That's preposterous !! I agree, the problem is camera based. I'd it wasn't, then my other camera would be doing the same thing as well. Arlo should recognize a possible mechanical malfunction and gladly replace the faulty item.
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

I think I either misread or got confused between various threads. Yup, agreed that moving the base shouldn't do much, if anything, about the cameras unless there's an issue with signal strength.  I'm a retired sysadmin with a background as an electronics tech so I'm very hardware-based (software is a necessary evil!). I love trying things out and diagnosing complete systems so I know where you're coming from. Stand your ground. I suppose you could try the place you bought from to see if they'd replace things.

ARLO CATCHES GHOST ON CAMERA  <<<<<<See Video here

I GOT A MOTION ALERT !!!!!!  (Well kind of.....)

Another issue that I am having (two days in a row):

System is set to ALL MOTION ON.  I get the Motion alert via text message,  check the video (above) and see nothing.  I called my wife at home, she tells me USPS just dropped of a box from Amazon.....

I feel like I am on the show PUNKED,  just waiting for Ashton Kutcher to jump out the bushes anytime now.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Based on my experience, I'd say the camera is in the wrong place. Too much brick wall, too far from the driveway or walk and too small a target in a small window of visibility. Add to that any delay in starting to record and I'd say the delivery man triggered on the way out, not on the way in. It may well be possible to not be able to change the camera location but if you can...

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

Based on my experience, I'd say the camera is in the wrong place. Too much brick wall, too far from the driveway or walk and too small a target in a small window of visibility. Add to that any delay in starting to record and I'd say the delivery man triggered on the way out, not on the way in. It may well be possible to not be able to change the camera location but if you can...

I have an outdoor securty camera mount on the way so  I can mount the camera on the opposite side of the driveway.  The funny thing is while talking to tech support and sharing pictures and videos with them, they commented that the camera is in a perfect location with a great angle of the area.  go figure.  Its a very simple PIR circuit board, i dont understand how my floodlight with a motion detector works 1000% better detecting motion........  ITS THE SAME CONCEPT !!!!  detect motion > turn light on/turn camera on.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

🙂

Stuff happens.  Good **bleep** luck!

Edit: Ha!  The curse word detector bleeped my "dam*"!

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice
To Hula, I switched cameras and everything is golden. Funny thing, the camera that was causing problems is no longer causing them. Makes no sense at all unless there is a heat factor that affects the camera over a period of time. I will do one more test and put the cameras in their original Positions. I will only change the angle of the problem location to see if positioning is relevant. Thanks Hula!
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

hahaha ......

I actually did the same thing !!!!!   I swapped out cameras from another zone and it worked flawless.  May be it has something to do with the Dilithuim Crystals found in the cameras..... 

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yeah that's where I got the idea from! You posted it. It's so simple but it's called process of elimination. I think it was the angle x mass divided by the width of the focal point. This caused a rotational PIR mount obligation that could only be met by walking with no static while positioning the camera!
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Dont forget to equat wind direction and the degree of Fresnal effect of mother earths rotational axis.  This should be added to the quick start manual,  Arlo/Netgear.........make it so.

BRATHKI
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 4 cameras operating outdoors around my home.

They do not function adequately as motion detectors.

Sometimes I will see a person walk by (90 degrees)  and nothing is recorded.

Sometimes they will appear in the last second or 2 of the recording.

Cars are recorded. People are not. The sensitivity is set at 90%.

I am ready to give up. A waste of money.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

BRATHKI wrote:

I have 4 cameras operating outdoors around my home.

They do not function adequately as motion detectors.

Sometimes I will see a person walk by (90 degrees)  and nothing is recorded.

Sometimes they will appear in the last second or 2 of the recording.

Cars are recorded. People are not. The sensitivity is set at 90%.

I am ready to give up. A waste of money.

WELCOME TO THE STRUGGLE !!!!!! not the results we expected....

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice

yeah sorry to hear.  I currently have an emailing going with Arlo to have one of my cameras replaced.  We'll see how that resolves.  I'll let you all know

lawgat
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree with the issue with shadows.  I have the sensor turned down to 5% and I still get false alerts due to shadows and reflections off my own car during the day.  It's pretty useless during the daytime because of that.  Now I only use it at night.  It's a shame, because I thought it was a good system.

SetAside7823
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same problem and feelig the exact same way.  I really love EVERY feature of these cameras but the outside motion detection is terrible.  I've tired a ton of different angles but the angle that gives me the best pic/vid coverages does not pick up motion of people walking on the deck in the backyard or to the front door in the front yard.  I'm not sure what else to try... tired of going up and down the ladder chaning the angle to something that's not ideal for seeing my full yard.... <sigh> 

TheeBullhead
Guide
Guide
I feel guilty for marking this resolved thread resolved. I initially took some of the advice I received and improved my results so I assumed eventually I would get everything sorted out. I couldn't have been more wrong. This system is useless for an outdoor security camera. I'm not exaggerating when I say I've tried at least 100 different outdoor locations at two different houses (I've moved since purchasing the system) and I've had the same 2 major issues in every location 1) terrible motion detection/range and 2) terrible lag when recording. These 2 issues make the system useless for my needs. I should have trusted my gut and returned the system instead of trying to make it work.
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

TheeBullhead wrote:
I feel guilty for marking this resolved thread resolved. I initially took some of the advice I received and improved my results so I assumed eventually I would get everything sorted out. I couldn't have been more wrong. This system is useless for an outdoor security camera. I'm not exaggerating when I say I've tried at least 100 different outdoor locations at two different houses (I've moved since purchasing the system) and I've had the same 2 major issues in every location 1) terrible motion detection/range and 2) terrible lag when recording. These 2 issues make the system useless for my needs. I should have trusted my gut and returned the system instead of trying to make it work.

I feel your pain.....  I made SWISS CHEESE of my $400,000 dollar brand new house trying to find "The Perfect" postion.  Arlo is advertised as "You can install these ANYWHERE" only to find out that we were mislead.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Of course, that's not true in a number of cases (not sure how the ratio would skew - works vs. not).  There's quite a few of us that have little to no problem with outdoor detection.  Exactly why some have issues and some don't, I don't know.  Perhaps there's an underlying hardware issue that could be resolved by warranty exchange - or not.

In any event, the neighbor's cat continues to trigger my camera...

lawgat
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have mine set to maximun detection.  Even with that, the lag is so bad, that it makes it useless.  I consistently get the rear of of people, cars, bikes, gardeners, etc. going past all 3 of my sensor locations.  I had an item stolen from my porch while I had the system in place.  The person walked past the sidewalk, up my driveway, to the item from porch and then I had a great view (sarcastic) of the back up him walking away.  The same with mail deliveries, package deliveries, electric reader, etc.  I have held onto my system for 5 months hoping a firmware or some other update would fix the lag time, but to no avial.  Now I am getting a new system (wired, unfortunatly) that will actually do what it is supposed to do.  I feel like Netgear stole$500 from me.  Not happy

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Its "Hardware" alraight....have installed THREE different cameras in the same exact place and got the same results.  it would be so bad if users keep getting the run around as to why it performes POORLY in some environments.

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey all, I understand the problems.  I must say I had an indoor detection problem, where the camera would constantly erroneously trigger and record like every 15 min to half hour.  Eventually, I switched cameras (I have two) and the problem miraculously dissapeared.  Bottom line, it was a faultly camera.  I contacted arlo and after a number of check points on their part, they did send me another unit.  I have had not other problems (knock on wood) since then.  You may want to take a faulty camera into consideration...

TheeBullhead
Guide
Guide
I have the 4 camera system and all the cameras have the same issues. Lately, it seems my issues are related to motion detection rather than lag time when recording. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm crazy, but I've been outside passing my cameras at different speeds, very slow walk up to a run and I'm getting about the same footage. The problem I'm seeing, at least today, is that motion isn't being detected until I'm center frame. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens going forward.
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Its a combination of BOTH.  When and if motion is detected, the camera has to power on and start recorded adding adding a couple of seconds to the LAG.