Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
TheeBullhead
Guide
Guide
Let me start off by saying I love the idea behind Arlo and it's almost exactly what I'm looking for, but the outdoor motion detection range is, well, terrible.

The system seems to work great indoors, but I've spent the last day and a half trying different mounting locations outdoors and have yet to find the motion detection satisfactory.. I've scoured this board for ideas and have tried them all, different cameras, different locations, different heights, different angles, camera on its side, camera upside down, different sensitivity levels, and nothing seems to work. It seems the only motion I capture is when I am within 6-8 feet of the camera on my way to pick it up to try another location.

At this point I'm about an hour away from returning the system, but I so badly want to make it work that I'm reaching out to all of you in a last ditch effort. Please let me know if you have any other tips or suggestions.

Now I've seen quite a few responses saying the issues are due to people "not using the system as it was intended to be used" but I'm not buying that in my case. All I'm trying to do is mount my 4 cameras to cover my driveway, entry ways, and patio and have them detect motion at the distance of 15 feet as stated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
4vrnvr
Apprentice
Apprentice

I utilize my 3 of my 5 cameras to monitor my outdoor access points. One on the front door, one at the garage/driveway and one for the back door patio area. I have my sensitivity set on max, all cameras mounted between 7 and 10 feet high pointed downward and they have no problem hitting the 15 foot mark.

I think one of the most important aspects in setting up the cameras is the angle. You definitely don't want someone walking directly toward the camera. Find a place where you get the coverage you want, but place it at an angle so the individually will be walking across it's path before heading directly toward it. Took me a little while to get the angle right but its been perfect since.

Hope this helps...

Greg

View solution in original post

63 REPLIES 63
4vrnvr
Apprentice
Apprentice

I utilize my 3 of my 5 cameras to monitor my outdoor access points. One on the front door, one at the garage/driveway and one for the back door patio area. I have my sensitivity set on max, all cameras mounted between 7 and 10 feet high pointed downward and they have no problem hitting the 15 foot mark.

I think one of the most important aspects in setting up the cameras is the angle. You definitely don't want someone walking directly toward the camera. Find a place where you get the coverage you want, but place it at an angle so the individually will be walking across it's path before heading directly toward it. Took me a little while to get the angle right but its been perfect since.

Hope this helps...

Greg

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

"  <<<<I think one of the most important aspects in setting up the cameras is the angle. You definitely don't want someone walking directly toward the camera. Find a place where you get the coverage you want, but place it at an angle so the individually will be walking across it's path before heading directly toward it. Took me a little while to get the angle right but its been perfect since.>>>> "

100% right !

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TheeBullhead
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the replies! I played around with the angles for another day or so and the motion detection is working better, not great, but better. Unfortunately the angles that trigger the motion detection don't provide good video footage, but at least I'm able to capture footage now. Overall, this is a great system, but the shortcomings of the motion detection really limit the effectiveness when used outdoors. I can't say I would recommend this solution to anyone for outdoor usage.
spratinger
Initiate
Initiate
In addition to poor range, I also have found that no motion is detected when looking through Windows. This makes them almost useless to me. Packing them up and taking them back.
Dood
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree - outdoor functionality is very limited. Humans, cats and others will walk across the view without detection, yet shadows and leaves moving in the wind do. I'm disappointed.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

spratinger wrote:
In addition to poor range, I also have found that no motion is detected when looking through Windows. This makes them almost useless to me. Packing them up and taking them back.

The camera senses motion via the IR detector... most glass will block IR , so no motion is detected.

Morse is faster than texting!
Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, I have my camera in the garage (which is non heated).  I have recently run into a problem where it does repeated false detection at early morning hours from the 3-7am range.  It's utterly frustrating.  I have tried resetting the camera and still have had the same problem.  Has anyone had any luck with resetting the base?  After reading all the other threads I feel that this system has some serious detection flaws.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may actually be motion turning it on. I sometimes have to look very carefully to see what activated the camera and sometimes can't determine the issue since there's a delay between motion and recording. This morning I couldn't figure out what tripped the camera until I got the video on a larger display and played it multiple times. Turns out there were deer across the street that I could barely see due to the wide angle lens and distance. Cats are another major source of what would otherwise be called false triggers but I have to look in the corners and edges to find them.

Your issue could be as simple as mice and sensitivity set too high.

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes understood however, I have sensitivity set to lowest setting. Funny. Sometimes the video is recording over a minute although set for 60 sec
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Hmph. I wonder if you have another source of IR (motor, etc.). Got an old digital camera? Some of them didn't have an IR blocking filter so you could use it as an IR detector in the dark. Could be interesting. As for length, I get a weird length once in a while. However, it's usually on the short side (a few seconds). How much over your setting are you seeing?

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice
That's interesting. you mean like a motion detector? I notice the length is usually the set time now that I looked back so, that's not as much of an issue. Sometimes 5 sec over sometimes 3-4 min. As for camera that would have to be on which it's not.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, not as a motion detector. Just a way to check for unknown IR sources.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

how was this marked solved. when there was no resolution ?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Read the first reply (second message in this thread). It's a good description of how to best utilize camera position to maximize motion detection.

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice
Agreed. I'll add. Camera is still shooting off about 20 clips in the early morning hours. About 7 min apart. It's almost like a hack. Only in early morning hours. Can cockroaches send this stuff recording? This didn't happen before
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've had cats, squirrels, and birds set my cameras off, not to mention wind blowing branches around, even before leaves formed. I try to watch the corners multiple times to try to figure out what tripped it. Most times I'll eventually see a cat just barely in view but sometimes it's a mystery.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Hate to play Devils Advocate but that is not a solution.  Correct me if I am worng but arent PIR motion detectors suppose to detect radiated heat ?  So i really should not matter if the object is moving left or right in the field of view.  As long as the PIR motion detector senses a sudden change in heat an alert should be sent.

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice
Problem is my camera is indoors with no sudden temp change. It's a closed space. No heaters no AC. Camera continuously gets tripped and records
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Coryvette,

Believe me, I understand your frustration.  My system is less than a week old and I am getting tired of having to break out the extantion ladder evertime tech support wants to try something.  When a consumer buys something, we expect it to work as advertised.  Only after we bought the system we find out that the camera needs "special mounting" circumstatnces in order for it to work correctly.  If my case is not resolved to my satifaction, I will box this up in a heartbeat and get my money back.   I bought this system as a tool to protect my property, so far, it has failed to do so.....

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The detectors are passive so detect changes in IR as the object moves across the field of view. However, therest are different amounts of IR according to the object which can be confusing by other objects emitting or reflecting IR. Also, the best detection happens when crossing the field of view rather than moving towards or away from the detector. That's why position is very important and one size/product doesn't fit all purposes. It's not a complete security system but just battery-operated motion-detected cameras.
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:
The detectors are passive so detect changes in IR as the object moves across the field of view. However, therest are different amounts of IR according to the object which can be confusing by other objects emitting or reflecting IR. Also, the best detection happens when crossing the field of view rather than moving towards or away from the detector. That's why position is very important and one size/product doesn't fit all purposes. It's not a complete security system but just battery-operated motion-detected cameras.

"PIR sensor detects changes in the amount of infrared radiation impinging upon it".  The same PIR sensor can be found in cheap Motion detector flood lights you can buy off the shelve.  Honestly the sensors on my backyard flood light would detect a ninja if he tried to approach my property.

You state: "It's not a complete security system but just battery-operated motion-detected cameras."  But it's marketed: "Meet Alro, The only 100% wire free HD smart HOME SECURITY CAMERA"?  T

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3eCd4dou7c

At the 0:40 does the subject look like she is moving accrss the field of view.?  This video alone sold me on the system, since I wanted coverage almost identical to the video provided by Netgear/Arlo.  We just want it to work as advertised.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat wrote:

That's why position is very important and one size/product doesn't fit all purposes. It's not a complete security system but just battery-operated motion-detected cameras.

"PIR sensor detects changes in the amount of infrared radiation impinging upon it".  The same PIR sensor can be found in cheap Motion detector flood lights you can buy off the shelve.  Honestly the sensors on my backyard flood light would detect a ninja if he tried to approach my property.

You state: "It's not a complete security system but just battery-operated motion-detected cameras."  But it's marketed: "Meet Alro, The only 100% wire free HD smart HOME SECURITY CAMERA"?  T

As you note, " it's marketed: 'Meet Alro, The only 100% wire free HD smart HOME SECURITY CAMERA'". It's a home security camera, not a security system.  As I noted, "one size/product doesn't fit all purposes". I'm not gonna defend Arlo's design, my purchase/usage or yours.  Everyone has their own opinion.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

I understand where you are coming from but there seems to be a lot of "blind leading the blind" trying to find some resolution.  You get really frustrated when you call for tech support for Motion Problems and they want you to change the Wifi channel to channel 11 on your personal home router to see if that fixes the problem.  Hoepfully we all find resolution soon