Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
kng323
Tutor
Tutor
Here is what I found after some testing. I only get notification after I logged into the app. E. G. I had logged in and just close or minimize the app. Then notification will show up.
And if I logged out, which I always do after I'm done checking, then I would not get notification.

I'm running Android 6.0.1. Arlo base FW is 1.7.5_6178.

Does anyone else have the same experience? Personal, I think the notification should work without having to login.

To Netgear support : is this how the app and notification are setup?
3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This is exactly how it works.  In reality, there's little to no reason to log out of the app and, since the app needs to be logged in to receive notifications, it's a moot point.

kng323
Tutor
Tutor

yeah ... I guess from a coding perspective, the user must be logged in, in order to identify the device that will be receiving the notification.

However, somehow I found this setup not as clean.  You see, this platform is cloud base and the base unit is meant to be accessible from mobile devices as well as computer.  And during work hours, I'm on the computer most of the time and so naturally, I would prefer to take a peak at my home using a web browser on my computer.  Since the Arlo application can only have 1 person logged in at any one time, this will kick out the session on my smartphone.  So unless I make it a routine to log back into my smartphone after I access it through my computer, then I will miss the notifications.

Perhaps a better implementation would be to add trusted mobile devices into the base unit.  These trusted devices will only receive notfication only.  If the user wants to look at the video, they would still have to login first.

For now, I suppose I could grant another access for myself using another email address,  Then use this account for my smartphone.  But I also have a tablet, which means I'll have to juggle between accounts.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The login from work doesn't kill your phone's login - it just disconnects the interface.  The app is still logged in and capable of receiving and pushing notifications.

If something isn't working, you could always try sharing the setupup using Grant Access in Settings to a second email address which would allow you to use the main account on your phone and the friend account at work.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation