Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Not recording nor sending notifications after I installed a new Arlo Wire-Free Camera

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
navid
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had 4 Arlo Wire-Free Cameras originally connected to one base station and it was detecting motion, recording and sending notification to my iPhone.

Today I bought another Arlo Wire-Free Camera and added it to the same base station.

I was able to watch the live feed from the camera and it is set on in the rules.

However, now after I successfully added the new camera to my system, I no longer see any new recordings nor notifications sent from any of the 5 cameras!

I didn't change any other setting but checked to make sure that all cameras are on in the rules.

I even tried restarting the base station. Still no luck!

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When motion detection is on, are the running men green for all cameras that are activated? In Settings, go to Modes and edit every mode you have for motion detection.  Ensure cameras are selected - perhaps something changed there.

navid
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, all of the running men are and were green for all cameras.

I didn't change anything other than add a new camera.

Since, this isn't working, I did try to restart (not reset) the base station a couple times. Still no luck.

In the past, the motion detection, recordings and notifications have stopped for 5 days or so and then have turned back on without me doing anything. One time, I resetted (not restarted) the base station and resync'd the cameras back with the base station and it still didn't work after I did that. It just started working after I did that, on its own, a few days after I did that. 

However, I don't think the settings on my side was the issue. That's why I'm not reseting the base station this time.

Is there some kind of error detection on the server that stops the recording and notifications from happening?

Perhaps, logging into the account on different computers is buggy. I know it logs out the previous session but it may still trigger something to get locked, is what I'm thinking. OR maybe it has to do with logging into the account shortly after sync'ing a new Arlo Wire-Free camera. Or maybe it has to do with the motion sensors not waiting a few minutes or long enough after first bringing on a new camera onto that base station?

However, as I mentioned above, the last time, the recordings/notifications stopped working, it wasn't due to adding any new camera. I wonder what happens though when changing batteries. It may go into a similar path to hit this bug.

Is there some sort of rate limit set which triggers recordings/notifications to be turned off for some period of time?

I'm using the free cloud service. Will this problem go away if I pay the $10/mo fee?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't believe there's any kind of throttling going on but the connection between the base and servers, including any delays involving the World Wide Wait could potentially cause issues.  It would be tough to prove that unless you are actively monitoring network issues using dedicated software and perhaps hardware.

As for the possibility of using a paid version of the service to enhance or eliminate service issues, nothing has ever been said that this is the case.

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Good afternoon Navid,

This sounds like a very interesting issue that would be good to investigate while the issue is happening. If this issue happens again please contact our support center and request the logs be pulled from the base station. Please note: once the base station is restarted or reset the logs are cleared so please contact support prior to any troubleshooting efforts.

Thank you for providing in depth details of your experience with the Arlo system. I'll forward the information to our development team to see if they can replicate the issue in house.

Best regards,

Christine 

NETGEAR Community Team

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.
navid
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Christine,

Thanks for your reply. 

I was able to resolve this issue.

However, I'm not sure which of these two things resolved it but I recommend your QA team try to try both to try to replicate the issue.

I have 5 cameras connected to 1 base station.

I brought all my cameras inside and removed all of their batteries from the cameras.

I then reconnected the batteries for one camera only.

I then made sure I could view the live feed from that camera.

However, I still didn't receive any new recordings nor notifications.

So, then I logged into arlo.netgear.com and cleared out all of my old recordings, thinking that I have run out of space.

Once I cleared up a few days worth of archived video recordings, I started receiving recordings and notifications again.

That's when I inserted all batteries back in for the rest of the cameras and everything is now working again.

One thing to note, is that I never received any notifications that I'm running out of space, even though my settings is set to notify me when that happens, and I thought the disk space should be self-managed by Arlo backend?

It's likely that the disk space had filled up and I never received the notification for it?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation