Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Nested rules work in Modes?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
humansoul
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have three cameras (Front, Rear, Inside) and have rules set up to record motion. I have an away mode that has my front recording on motion at 70% sensitivity(to record far-sighted motion), however, I wanted to also set up a secondary rule that if the front camera records on motion at 30% sensitivity(near-sighted motion) that it will trigger the inside camera to record for possible breaches or record the interaction when the door is opened. Would these two rules work in the same mode? Is the application smart enough to only trigger the inside camera if it was triggered at 30% and not 70%? 

Thanks for any advice/input!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

humansoul wrote:

I have three cameras (Front, Rear, Inside) and have rules set up to record motion. I have an away mode that has my front recording on motion at 70% sensitivity(to record far-sighted motion), however, I wanted to also set up a secondary rule that if the front camera records on motion at 30% sensitivity(near-sighted motion) that it will trigger the inside camera to record for possible breaches or record the interaction when the door is opened. Would these two rules work in the same mode? Is the application smart enough to only trigger the inside camera if it was triggered at 30% and not 70%?  

No, unfortunately, Arlo doesn't allow for that.

If you have two or more rules defined with the same camera as the motion trigger, only one rule can be active at any given time in a mode. You can see this for yourself if you have two (or more) rules defined that use the same camera as the motion trigger. If you activate one of those rules in any mode and subsequently attempt to activate a different rule (that uses the same camera as a motion trigger), the previously checked rule will have its checkmark color turn from green to black, i.e. the first rule is automatically being deactivated.

This feature - to have more than one rule active for the same camera as a trigger - I have also missed previously and suggested as a feature enhancement back in March in the Idea Exchange.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

humansoul wrote:

If you have two or more rules defined with the same camera as the motion trigger, only one rule can be active at any given time in a mode. You can see this for yourself if you have two (or more) rules defined that use the same camera as the motion trigger. If you activate one of those rules in any mode and subsequently attempt to activate a different rule (that uses the same camera as a motion trigger), the previously checked rule will have its checkmark color turn from green to black, i.e. the first rule is automatically being deactivated.

This feature - to have more than one rule active for the same camera as a trigger - I have also missed previously and suggested as a feature enhancement back in March in the Idea Exchange.

humansoul
Aspirant
Aspirant

Schorschi wrote:

humansoul wrote:

Thanks for the prompt response! I managed to trigger the rules and noted that my initial rule(front recording) was not triggered. I'd love it if Arlo used these ideas to expand the capabilities of the cameras. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just FYI... you cant do exactly what u wanted but

you can only have ONE MODE at a time, but a mode can trigger two cameras to record from one trigger.

example as follows and this may help you...

I run this on a few cameras...  works well and i found it's best to keep in order ( first and third rule , then secondary record  rule)

First Rule -  Select Motion is detected on camera 1 and to Record Video on camera 1.

Second Rule- Select Motion is detected on camera 1 and to Record Video on camera 2.

Third rule-  Select Motion is detected on camera 2 and to Record Video on camera 2.

Fourth Rule- Select Motion is detected on camera 2 and to Record Video on camera 1.

(repeat if more cams, cam 3 on 3 ...)

Make a new  MODE with these rule active and you can get 2 cameras recording if triggered by one

BTW, I label the rules    cam1/1 , cam1/2 ,  cam 2/2 ... ..etc so i know what the rule is doing

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
humansoul
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac wrote:

Just FYI... you cant do exactly what u wanted but

you can only have ONE MODE at a time, but a mode can trigger two cameras to record from one trigger.

example as follows and this may help you...

I run this on a few cameras...  works well and i found it's best to keep in order ( first and third rule , then secondary record  rule)

First Rule -  Select Motion is detected on camera 1 and to Record Video on camera 1.

Second Rule- Select Motion is detected on camera 1 and to Record Video on camera 2.

Third rule-  Select Motion is detected on camera 2 and to Record Video on camera 2.

Fourth Rule- Select Motion is detected on camera 2 and to Record Video on camera 1.

(repeat if more cams, cam 3 on 3 ...)

Make a new  MODE with these rule active and you can get 2 cameras recording if triggered by one

BTW, I label the rules    cam1/1 , cam1/2 ,  cam 2/2 ... ..etc so i know what the rule is doing

I've read your post multiple times and I still don't get it...sorry! In your scenario, this is the rules I have in one mode:

As indicated by the previous post, the first rule never gets triggered because of the second rule.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

humansoul wrote:

I've read your post multiple times and I still don't get it...sorry! In your scenario, this is the rules I have in one mode:

As indicated by the previous post, the first rule never gets triggered because of the second rule.

All I can say is it does work... I get two cams recording from one trigger... you'll have to check and verify the MODE has all the rules turned on.

JayBd
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the exact same problem.
I can not get two cameras to record from one trigger.

humansoul wrote:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have added a new Mode and created the rules correctly but the trigger camera (Camera 1) never records after motion is detected - only Camera 2 records. I have reset the base station, turned the cameras on and off, applied the rules to other cameras, rearranged the rules so that the cameras are in different order, set all the camera settings to the same values etc, etc, etc, but always the same result.

Others are obviously able to get this to work - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jay

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First of all, that is an old thread from dec 2015... and there was a big SW update that occured at the end of Dec.

But to answer your question, there are a couple of new threads re this topic

read one :https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Wire-Free-camera/Help-No-video-record-in-library-it-was-all-go...

Nested or Stacked rules do work and were till just recently... the fix is being worked on by Netgear

JayBd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Tom - much appreciated information.

Looks like all I can do is wait for a fix like evryone else.

Once again thanks for the quick reply.

Jay

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation