Motion detection & alerts not working. App is buggy

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
Cwillia347
Tutor
Tutor
I installed Arlo (2 camera' set) very easily and, for the first hour, received motion alert email messages until I deployed the cameras in their positions in my house. Since then, I have NOT been able to get motion detection to work nor have I received a single recorded frame in the library where motion was obvious. Furthermore, the app software is buggy and not at all user friendly. I've tried resetting the base unit, turned scheduling on/off, confirmed and reconfirmed my email address, examined and re-examined the Rules set-up, logged in and out of the app, went onto the website to try and make changes vs the app, tried setting up a friend and I STILL cannot get motion to send alerts or record a single frame on either camera. At this point, the $380 I spent basically allows me to look in on my home via camera on demand but so far, it is worthless as a security tool. Please advise as I have others interested in this solution and cannot give this a thumbs up
19 REPLIES 19
ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Good morning Cwillia347,

Since you mentioned the "motion icon is greyed out", let's check to see if the rule(s) have the motion detection enabled for each camera.

1. Log into your Arlo account

2. Click/tap on "Settings"

3. Click/tap on "Modes"

4. Click/tap on the pencil icon to the right of "All Motion On"

5. Ensure each camera has a green check mark (next to the airplane icon).

- If they are grey please click the affected camera so the check mark is green and test motion detection again.

I am not sure how this setting would have changed without any intervention but I am hopeful that your issue will be resolved after following the steps above. If not, we can open a support case for you promptly and investigate this issue further.

I look forward to your next update.

Best Regards,

Christine

Arlo Team

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.
Jaypee510
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same problem!!!! Reset base. Turn motion on and off and still no motion notification!!! What a piece of junk!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jaypee510,

Welcome to the community! In order to receive motion notifications there are a couple things you'll want to check in your settings. First you want to make sure your e-mail address is verified. You can check this by navigating to "Settings" -> "Account Settings" -> "Personal Information". If you have successfully verified your e-mail address you will see a green exclamation mark labeled "Confirmed" under the listed e-mail address. Second you'll want to make sure each camera that you want to receive notifications from has the e-mail address attached to the rule telling it to send the notification. To add e-mail notifications to a rule please refer to the following article:

How do I turn on/off email notifications?

Let us know if this helps!

JamesC

mwilsonumdinc
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same exact difficulty.  I rebooted and made sure all motion is on and there are green checkmarks next to my email address.  This did not resolve the issue.  I am still not receiving alerts.  The alerts will very reliably received until 2 days ago when they suddenly stopped.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mwilsonumdinc,

Welcome to the community! Consider adding a new e-mail address to the list within the cameras rule and see if motion alerts are sent to the new e-mail. That might help isolate if there is a problem with the original e-mail address.

JamesC

ayoung76
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I bought the 2 camera arlo kit and everything was working fine until Oct 4th, then it stopped detecting motion and sending notices.. I rebooted the base station, then performed the "Motion Test" and the LED lite up on the camera and then it started working again.. then again on Oct 7th it stopped.. however I didn't noticed because I have 2 young kids and I knew I wasn't getting notices, but had no time with the kids to investigate further. This morning I decided to come here and post.. since it's still not working.. I just remotely rebooted the base station.. since I'm at work and asked my wife to walk out in front of the camera overlooking the front door and still not working.

I had high hopes for this these cameras and system as our neighbourhood has had some problems with kids running around causing trouble.. now I feel like I have wasted my money. I'm still within the 14 day return policy of Bestbuy and will consider returning.. since this system seems to be inconsistant.. It's a shame.. I thought I had a awesome solution to monitor our house.. now back to the drawing board.. maybe you will get things together in the next version or improve your firmware/software/app to perform better down the road.

If you can provide any insight to what is going on I may consider keeping the kit.

Thanks,
 Adam

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ayoung76,

Welcome to the community! Are you using a schedule? It sounds like it could be that a mode with motion detection enabled was not active during the times in which the camera was not detecting motion. Please consider giving us an overview of what modes you are using and any custom rules you may have so we can understand more about what could be causing the issue.

Thank you!

JamesC

mojowbm
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue as others have mentioned... just set mine up last night and this morning the motion detection was not working; however, after reading the steps above, I discovered that step 5 solved my issue as the check marks next to each camera had somehow become greyed out:

5. Ensure each camera has a green check mark (next to the airplane icon).

- If they are grey please click the affected camera so the check mark is green and test motion detection again.

Hope that helps someone else. 

Zeniquej
Aspirant
Aspirant

Where is the airplane in the settings?

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Zeniquej wrote:

Where is the airplane in the settings?

This is an old thread and it's referring to an older version of the UI software.

I don't recall what that airplane icon was, but it no longer exists in the current software. So, I wouldn't worry about it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The airplane (actually a folded paper airplane) was there to indicate email notification.  As stated, it's no longer used.

centslessjo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did you find out where the airplane was. I can't find one either.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No icon any more. AT the bottom of your rule, where you can set up notifications, is simply a checkbox.

Cobrasooner
Aspirant
Aspirant
I cannot get the Mode to show anything. It just hangs on "getting status" what should I do?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

For starters, try using the power switch to power cycle the base.  Also, try the app and browser - does one work but not the other?

tbid
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the Arlo 2 camera set that came with the base station. It's been working great for about 6 months. We have 3 family members who have the Arlo app on their phones. The phones are all the same model. I recently stopped getting notifications on my phone when motion is detected. I was getting them before. The other members of my family still get phone notifications. I checked all the Arlo settings and my phone settings. Everything looks good. Why do 2 phones still get notifications while 1 phone doesn't anymore? Thanks for any help.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try using the phone settings for Apps and force stop the Arlo app, followed by cleaning the cache.  If that doesn't work, try reinstalling the app.  Any luck?

tbid
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks but those didn't help.
tbid
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm still not getting notifications on my phone.
Any other suggestions? Thanks!