Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Lonnie
Tutor
Tutor

I was receiving alerts this morning that motion was being detected by one of my cameras. I logged on to see my mom walking around in the yard. It had recorded 5 videos. I watched them and was continuing to receive alerts. The video count never went up. I logged out and back in and nothing. I realized my mom had come inside because the motion alerts had stopped. Still no new videos. I took my phone with me outside to test it myself. I WAS NOT viewing it live as I know this will prevent the camera from recording on its own (stupid IMO). I walked in front of the camera and the "motion man" turned red and I recieved an alert. I walked back across the camera and again the "motion man" turned red and I recieved another alert. I then went to view the video and still, nothing. Why is it detecting motion but not recording anything but it did just minutes before?

24 REPLIES 24
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you saying you get an alert but no recording?

I can say that with Anroid I've seen multiple alerts pushed to the phone but less video... In my cases it has been that the first video had not timed out yet ( set record time ) but the cam had detected more movement.

So the cam sends out a second alert but the camera is still recording from the first alert

The emails tho are the same amounts as vids only the PUSH alerts seem more.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Lonnie
Tutor
Tutor

Not applicable to my case. The video record time for this camera is set to 10 seconds. It had been a good 5 mins since my mom had been in front of the camera before I went out to find out why I was missing video. Yes I triggered the motion sensor and it showed on the app (and yes it is an Android phone). Neither of my passings in front of the camera recorded dispite the new alerts.

The camera was just in a test location outside the back door. I have moved it to its permenent spot over the garage and it seems to catch some of the movement but not all. I have the sensitivity turned up to 100%.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

check on your version of the s/w for camera and base... some others are experiencing delay problems with the new update.

Also, Netgear is aware of this issue and is working on a fix.

Matty83
Star
Star

I have been getting the same issue. My phone will alert that motion has been detected but no video or email aswell, yet the arlo app is telling me there is.

I could get 3 detection during the night and have no video.

I really hope netgear brings out an update soon, cause im having nothing but issues with the whole thing. 

As of this morning twice i had one of the cameras playing up. Half the screen becoming pixelated, weird. I only had Arlo for a week, ill give it 3 and if doesnt get any better, ill be returning it.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy
Hit and Miss issue.. Fix has been long overdue.. It could be Server having a hiccup..or Netgear needs a serious update on the firmware coz if u look around the thread theres all kinds of issues that needs fix... Dont worry guys you're not alone.. This issue been discussed here several times and it gets fixed and comes back again...
Warnzie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yep, a major update is really need on this system. Surely Arlo could max a setting where on the camera page you show where you want it to pick to motion up with out having to zoom it in. I am having the exact same issues with my cameras. My system is pretty much useless atm. Thinking have I wasted a good amount of $$$ of crap that wont work properly. Hopefully Netgear iron out this issues pretty quick smart.

mollydooka
Aspirant
Aspirant
Have the same issue. Bought Arlo on the weekend, recorded when first set up & synced, but have tried twice to get it to work again, only to get:
Camera glows orange when motion detected, app alert immediately goes to Android phone.
No email, no recording received or viewed.
What's going on? Pretty disappointing for a system that's retailing at over $500 in some Australian stores .Maybe that's why they're currently offering a rebate??

Arlo staff, can you please provide a fix, otherwise I'm taking mine back....
Matty83
Star
Star

If its glowing orange sounds like you have detection test on, other than that if its at night its the nightvision being active. 

Either way it seems that sometimes the camera will pick up somthing but it wont record. i also nitice when doing the detection test, the orange light that lights up when it picks up movement seems to be more sensitive than than witout detection test. 

eg. I could have motion detect on and record when it picks up movement while i walk up the driveway, except it doesnt detect until the last minute. Yet on detecton test it picks me straight away.

Netgear why is the detection test picking me up or being more sensitive as oppose to when im not doing the test but still have motion detect on? both on 100% sensitive.

mollydooka
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Matty,

yes, it was night vision, I was testing it in a dark room. It would take a photo on "Pan and Zoom", clarity was quite impressive in a pitch-black room, but no video. 

I've sent a msg to James (Netgear moderator), hoping that there's a fix.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

mollydooka wrote:
Have the same issue. Bought Arlo on the weekend, recorded when first set up & synced, but have tried twice to get it to work again, only to get:
Camera glows orange when motion detected, app alert immediately goes to Android phone.
No email, no recording received or viewed.

First thing is to see if you can manually view/ record.

Go to the live screen view of your cameras, click the PLAY ">" in center of picture and make sure it goes to live streaming. Then after, click the RECORD button ( circle with dot ) and you should see a red recorder flashing at top of picture, record about 10 secs... to stop hit the pause " II "

Go to LIBRARY and check for video recorded.

If you've gotten this far, step two;

Go to MODES, turn on ALL MOTION RECORD ON ( or similar named )

Go to LIVE VIEW screen, all the cameras now should have a 'GREEN RUNNING MAN" on the top of camera picture ( shows that motion record is activated )

(If no green running man, then your Mode needs fixing)

Go dance in front of the cameras and make sure after the videos are in the library.

let us know how / if it works

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Arlo development team has isolated the cause and has resolved this issue. A small number of Arlo users in the Asia-Pacific region (including Australia) were affected and we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. We have taken steps to ensure that this problem does not occur again and added additional monitoring tools that will detect potential issues in the early stages so that user impact is minimized. Your patience in this process has been greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

JamesC

Matty83
Star
Star
Thanks James, do you know when this update is happening? Or if there is any future updates?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Matty83,

The changes have already been made to prevent this issue from occurring again. I do not have any information on future updates but will keep you posted.

Thank you!

JamesC

Anthonynixon42
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same problem and I spent over an hour on the phone to Arlosh technical support and in the end they gave up on me!!!!!!!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Anthonynixon42,

What issue are you experiencing?

In order for your cameras to produce library content you must have a mode set that tells them to record when motion is detected. Check to make sure the correct mode is set for your cameras to detect and record motion.

JamesC

Wizzdog1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can not get any recordings and did everything that was mentioned

JoCroose
Initiate
Initiate
I am receiving push notification when motion is detected but no email or video added to my library. I have check all my settings that I made when I first got the system a month ago. The settings worked then but not now. I noticed this issue yesterday. I can manually record videos and they will go to my library. I have power cycled the router but still no luck.
bcMills
Initiate
Initiate

Same here.  2 days ago recordings were working fine but now receiving notifications and will manually record but will not record motion.  I have unplugged all, reset and re-synced all cameras but still no recording on motion detection.  System is not showing any updates.  Any ideas?

Warnzie
Apprentice
Apprentice
Guys. When I experienced this some time ago it was not my side it was in net gears side. Best thing to do is the obvious power downs etc and give net gear a call. I had to persuade them it was not my side and so they got a tech on to it and bam next day was all working as it should. Hope this helps!
Susro
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am so very frustrated.  Set up my 3 new cameras yesterday and as we stood in front of them they were recording on the ipad.  Ever since that time, if we walk in front of camera I receive a mobile phone notification that there is motion but nothing in the library.  I am very disappointed with this system so far because there isn't any instruction whatsoever on setting up, other than how to turn on and how to sync cameras.  I don't understand what the 'filter' is, or in fact what other settings I should be clicking.  There ought to be a manual telling new customers what each function is!  I have signed up for the Elite status at $19 per month, and it appears I have wasted my money.  In my library It is telling me the time of each event, ie 00.13 and each one says 'manual'.  Should I unclick manual function?

I would like to speak to a Netgear person who can help me and there isn't a single telephone number listed for assistance.  VERY POOR SO FAR!!!

bcMills
Initiate
Initiate
Just want you all to know that I contacted netgear and got a bunch of crap telling me it's my internet and I don't have enough speed to work the system. If I had just purchased this I would return it tomorrow. But of course I have had it long enough I cannot return it. Thai is full of crap. Never their problem it is always on our end. Going out tomorrow to find a new system.
Tacotoy14
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same problem here. All was fine up till yesterday now i get notifications/emails but when i view on device or desktop no videos. If i go to my email from notification it does show a recording.
Mrenn29
Aspirant
Aspirant
Exact same here,show the videos recorded in the email but nothing in the library,kind of a disappointment,time to go to a wired system as between the updates and the batteries is seems to make sense since this is so unreliable.
LilGman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought and set up my arlo cameras per the instructions. Everything set up just fine. I also set up a user account with arlo online. I viewed each of my cameras in the Live mode while online. They work great, both with lights on and off, in the dark. I then got the mobile app for my iphone, viewed the live video again, set my mode to geofensing, and set up push notifications. Everything seemed fine to this point.

Then when I set the mode, on both my phone and online, to "ALL ON" and dance in front of the cameras, the motion detection works and sends an alert to my phone, but there is no corresponding video sent to the library for each camera. I had the impression when I bought arlo that its supposed to record video upon motion detection. Is this correct or not? If it is, then I have a problem with my system. If its not, then I'm out of luck. 

I can manually record video both online and from my phone, and the video is sent to my library for viewing. It just doesn't do that from the motion detection function. I think it should. I would like the motion detection to start recording video of that burgular, if miss the push notification on my phone and can't do it manually. Otherwise, whats the point of having video monitoring.

Also. Is there anyway to set up email notification alerts as well as push notifications? I used to have netgear vuezone and it sent an email alert with a snapshot of the alert. That function would be nice here. I've looked around but can't figure out how to set up email alerts.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

VMS3430-100NAR Arlo Security System with 4 HD cameras