Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
Jarhead0331
Tutor
Tutor

Everytime I log into the app, whether from my Android, or from any one of my ipads, several if not all of my cameras detect motion and begin recording. Why is a recording triggered simply from logging in and is there anything that can be done to prevent this. The false alerts are annoying and its also a drain on the batteries. If there is no work around, is this a bug that is being worked on?

Thanks.

27 REPLIES 27
Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Same thing here. Started about a month ago. 10 camera system, 1 camera will start a recording about every other time I open the app. Have tried everything with no luck. Very frustrating and a giant waste of batteries.
Support has been of no help.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue has been escalated to the Arlo development team for further investigation. Those of you who are affected, are you seeing this occur on the iOS/Android apps only or also from the web browser? Do you notice it happening regardless of the mode your cameras are active on? For example does it occur even if "all motion off" mode is set? Any additional information on this will be helpful in our investigation.

Thank you!

JamesC

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
James C. This happens to me on any and all PC browsers and all my IOS devices. It only seems to happen when the system is set to a record on motion mode
Jarhead0331
Tutor
Tutor

I typically only monitor my cameras from my mobile devices, which include an android and two iOS based iPads. The issue occurs on all three devices. Additionally, I never change the mode of my system. It is always configured to detect motion, but I will try to play around with it to see if the problem occurs in different modes. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This seems to be a difficult intermittent issue for us to replicate and track down. Can anyone who has been affected by this in the past confirm if it is still occurring?

Thank you,

JamesC

DeadReckoner
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, it's still occurring for me. Very frustrating. I have a 9 camera system. Two base stations at two different locations. I usually only use IOS iPad Air 2. IOS 9.1. Never happens if all alerts are off. But once there are one or more alerts on the problem occurs. I deleted and recreated all rules and still have the issue. All cameras have motion detection on 24/7.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DeadReckoner,

We are still unable to replicate this issue. Are you still experiencing this after the most recent iOS update 1.8.5?

JamesC

jludwig40
Tutor
Tutor

It happens for me almost every time I open the app from either my iPhone or iPad.   It is really frustrating. Both app and idevices are at latest rev. 

jludwig40
Tutor
Tutor

If it helps, it is almost always (or maybe always) the last camera that I viewed "live" from the app on that device.

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
After climbing up and down ladders, changing camera locations, moving base station the problem still exists. It only happens on cameras that are set to record. I had some luck by turning down the sensitivity of the culprit camera. That helped for a couple of days, now it's back. Now keep in mind I eliminated this issue when replacing my original base and running the replacement on old firmware. 2 months no issues. Than against my better judgement I upgrade the mandatory firmware and back to the same old crap. And to add insult to injury after upgrading firmware I'm back to inconsistent live view streaming, erratic at best motion detection, some missing videos in library. All these problems disappeared with the old firmware. I give up. I'm real close to turn this crap into a $1500 lesson learned.
agarlo
Star
Star

I have a similar issue.  I am running 2.0.0 software on ios devices.  I have a schedule that calls a mode named Away that has rules to record 3 separate cameras on motion detection.  When the schedule runs and changes modes multiple times per day everything runs fine, however if I manually change the mode from Schedule to Disarmed while the Away mode is running one of the cameras executes a recording and sends alerts as if it had detected motion.  It only happens when I manually change the mode to Disarmed (essentially changing from Away to Disarmed) and it only triggers one of the three cameras and it is always the same camera.

I hope this is helpful in troubleshooting the issue.

A. G.

BrandonB
Guide
Guide
I have experienced this issue at least twice in the month I've had the 4 camera system. Android app was up to date each time (set to auto update on my android) amd as far as I know the base station was current as well (also on auto update). Usually happens in the morning for me when I first open the app (which has to reconnect due to timeout), so I assume it has to do with establishing a new connection to the base station and the station pinging the cameras causes them to trigger when they wake.
BrandonB
Guide
Guide
I should add that for both occurrences, I recall that the culprit camera was set to motion capture.
jludwig40
Tutor
Tutor

Any progress on this Netgear?

Anything?

It isn't fixed and if anything it is worse.

BrandonB
Guide
Guide
I haven't seen this behavior since my last post. Will update when and if I do. Very strange.
Ghostbuster
Star
Star

Add me to the list of users experiencing this issue.

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I had this problem for months than it stopped. Enter the app update last week and it's back to doing the same thing. I'm also getting horrible streaming attempts. I have to try a minimum of 2 times to stream. Also there are delays of up to hours to get motion recordings to library. Another nice job Netgear. Keep up the good work.
Ghostbuster
Star
Star

Opening the app is still triggering a camera to record despite no motion detected.

serghe
Guide
Guide

...and here we are, almost a year later, still the same thing happening to me (actually worse). It started with one camera recording multiple videos at login and now I have 4 cameras starting recording at login. Good job Netgear.Smiley Frustrated

Jarhead0331
Tutor
Tutor

I solved the problem by replacing the system altogether. This issue was just too much of an inconvenience, especially for a battery based system. I got sick of replacing the batteries constantly, and paying for them too! C123 batteries cost a small fortune, even if bought in bulk. As a result, I disarmed the system, and at that point, what is the point of having it in the first place?

Anyway, I just put a REAL wired system in with a DVR that records 24/7. Have never felt more secure. Thanks Netgear. Without you, I never would have been motivated to install a real system that works!

serghe
Guide
Guide

I guess that this topic is closed now. You can mark it as solved Smiley Very Happy

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
This topic is not closed. This has been happening to me for months and Netgear has done their usual nothing. I am going to solve this issue myself by throwing this $1500 POS in the garbage. Every **bleep** time I open the app one of my cameras detect motion and records. The battery usage is insane. Just one of a dozen issue since owning this system from the beginning.
Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Wow 4 cameras? You win the prize. Mine was 1 for the kindest time. Recently spread to 2
serghe
Guide
Guide

Yup. 4 out of 5 - I know that's impresive, right?

Thanks guys for responding, I'll send mine back in the following weeks.
I really wanted this to work (actually it does work well but this is an issue I just can't ignore) don't want to change batteries every 2 weeks.

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation