Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Questions

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
tlernst
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just wondering, can an outside ceiling fan that is being moved by the wind trigger a motion alert?  Also, can shadows cause Arlo to send an alert.  I've had several alerts recentlyand when I pull up the video I sometimes notice a fan on our porch slowly turning or, in one case there were shadows from local trees moving within the cameras viewing area.  If these can cause the alerts, I will reposition the camera so that the fan isn't in the field of view and reduce the sensitivity so the shadows won't (hopefully) be an issue.

3 REPLIES 3
Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The IR motion technology used in this system is sensitive to movement and reflection of light. Short answer is yes, what your describing can cause a motion alert   

tlernst
Apprentice
Apprentice

I watched Arlo for several days after the first incident and the unit never responded again because of shadows (if, in fact that was the cause).  Also, I actually turned on the outside ceiling fan to see if I could trigger any alerts and received no response.  So, I'm not sure if the alerts I received were actually caused by shadows and / or the fan movement and if not, then I'm a little loss concerning why several alerts were sent.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Depending on the exact scenario, don't forget that a bird or bug flying by close enough could set it off.  

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation