Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection test.....Myth Busted !!!!

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

@ChristineT

As most of you have seen, I have been conducting a few tests trying to figure out what may be causing poor motion detection in my Arlo system.  Getting right to the point, I still think Netgear has a long way to go on improving motion detection in these cameras.   The thinking is “Motion detection range decreases as ambient temperatures get closer to 98.6 degrees”  -Netgear.  Two previous tests conducted at 80 and 90 degrees yielded very similar results.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Motion-Detection/bd-p/arlo-motion-detection

In this final test, I wanted to see how well this system performed in prime South Texas heat @ 100 degrees ( according to the weather man the “fells like” temp was 105 degrees).

Pic#1:  Temperature of the birck in from of my house

Pic#2:  Temperature of the concrete driveway

Pic#3:  Temperature of the asphalt road in front of my house

Pic#4:  Temperature of the landscape in fron of my house

Arlofinal.png

I walked for Point A to Point B to Point C then to Point D...

PathZ.png

As you can see, Arlo captured motion in almost the identical spot compared to previous test !  Another thing that I noticed is when recording starts, it far from HD Quality........

Full video here:  https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/AFA51B03672DFCE7

Conclusion:

So back to the “Motion detection range decreases as ambient temperatures get closer to 98.6 degrees”  theory.  As Myth Busters would put it:

MYTH BUSTED !!!!!!!!!!!

My quest to find answers continues, Maybe its time to stop beating a dead horse and move on to a wired system.

4 REPLIES 4
Texanchief
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Hula_Rock

I've been reading your post regarding the motion detection capabilties, or lack thereof, of the Arlo system. I too live in South Texas (Houston area) and am concerned about the Arlo system. At this point, I'm leaning away from the Arlo wireless system towards a wired system. I will have difficulty running wires in my house to cover my entire property. Covering the front drive and entrance will be easy, its accessing and running wires from the back that will be hard. After revewing your testing (thanks by the way) results, I would rather have the front covered by a more reliable wired system, than all areas by an unreliable wireless system. From a fellow Texan, thanks for your time and efforts. You've saved me time and money.

Texanchief

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

@Texanchief

Thanks for the reply!  I dont think Netgear gets it to be honest.  They are advertising this product as a SECURITY CAMERA (with the benefits of Wireless and weatherproof).  I think the disconnect here is that consumers are mislead to a false sense of security thinking that we can trust this system to use as a tool to protect our assets, property, family etc.  I wish I had the common sense to research this product, if I would have known about this Forum and read all of the complaints before hand, I would have purchased a wired system.  Do you know how many .223, .40 .45 9mm boxes of ammo  I could have bought with 349.00 ? hahahahahahaha

GOD BLESS TEXAS 

Draygen
Tutor
Tutor
Nice to see some hard facts rather than more guessing. Weird side note, one of my cameras went completely dead. During the trouble shooting over the phone the rep mentioned I was on a completely different software than the new systems were using. Not "out of date" but a "different" version. Then he asked how my motion detection was doing. To be honest it's better but now it's too good, a light breeze is setting it off. And that wasn't even my main issue, the delayed recording was still there. I give up!!! I agree Netgear just doesn't get it. And this last issue with my dead camera took two weeks for them to decide on replacing it. High five for best buy's extended warranty.
Rjjenks909
Guide
Guide
I am finding the motion detection to be much more inconsistent when the temp is over 90 degrees. I've had 2 cameras for about 9 months and am really disappointed about so many missed recordings now that's it's hot here in S Central Texas!!
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation