Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection Recording

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
jboutross
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi -  When motion is detected, does the camera stop recording after 10 seconds unless I add a new rule?   I would like the camera to record for the entire time it sees motion.  Please advise.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

jboutross wrote:

Hi -  When motion is detected, does the camera stop recording after 10 seconds unless I add a new rule?   I would like the camera to record for the entire time it sees motion.  Please advise.  Thank you.

In the RULES for each camera, the record time is on a slide bar... you can set from a low of 10 second to a max of 2 mins.

You can't make it record for the entire time of motion , but if the time limits set is reached then there is a 2-3 second delay and the camera will restart for the set time if motion still exists.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

jboutross wrote:

In the RULES for each camera, the record time is on a slide bar... you can set from a low of 10 second to a max of 2 mins.

You can't make it record for the entire time of motion , but if the time limits set is reached then there is a 2-3 second delay and the camera will restart for the set time if motion still exists.

jboutross
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you!!  That is very helpful!

LoganD
Aspirant
Aspirant

_  .._

cloisaf
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there any plan to update software to allow to record for duration of movement?

Thanks,

Chris

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's mostly already there. If motion continues, a new video will be recorded. Whether the motion is sufficient to start recording would be the same, regardless of a new video or continuing recording longer based on continued motion. The usual suggestion is to increase the length of recording to help ensure capturing sufficient or complete motion.

Also, the new Q camera is powered and is capable of continuous recording.

ACJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
I download the new app. I cannot find the Rules for the motion for my cameras. How can I change the motion length on the new app.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-adjust-motion-and-sound-sensitivity/ta...

dubrex
Tutor
Tutor
I'm wondering whether continuous recording for duration of movement has been snuck into the latest update? Reason being is that the couple of times this week that I've had someone at my front door, my front door camera has recorded them for between 30 secs to 1.5 mins until they left, despite it only being set to record 10 sec clips. For any false alerts I've had the camera has only recorded for the 10 sec it's set to.
Will have to do some more testing and will be interested to know if others are seeing the same?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

dubrex,

Have you seen this behavior across multiple recordings? If movement continues after the 10 seconds the camera should start recording an additional separate 10 second clip after the first is finished.

JamesC

AZ_Life
Star
Star
REALLY wish you could set to continuous record up to a time limit. Had a weird guy knock at our door last night and it only recorded 25 seconds even though he sat there for 5 minutes knocking. there are a few things that really prevent these from being viable security devices. It really failed me last night while someone was pounding on my door.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The issue is the battery. The new Q camera ois powered and has the ability to have continuous video although recordings are still only IP to 2 minutes. The streaming review is an extra cost but may be worth it. Also, motion detection is different so may be more useful since there is essentially no lag.

dubrex
Tutor
Tutor
James, tested this tonight on two cameras including the front door one that recorded the longer clips a few days ago. This time it was as you've described, a 10 second clip followed by another 10 sec clip commencing about 5 seconds after the previous one finished. Can't explain why it was doing the longer clips with someone at the door the other day, but I think many would love to have the option for it to do that, myself included. Granted there is a battery life implication, but better that it's up to the user to make that call I think, with perhaps a warning in the app that toggling continuous recording on motion detection (up to a limit, say 2 or preferably 5 mins) will lower battery life.
fatcat25
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I haven't had that problem but a related one.  I can't even set mine to record!  It keeps going back to the original settings,even when I save them.  So maybe we are both not setting something, I have NO clue what it is however.  If either one of us gets a reliable answer, I think it would solve both problems.  Good luck to us both.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Be aware that some Save buttons are at the top of the screen while others are at the bottom.  Maybe you're missing one or the other?

If that isn't the problem, maybe a factory reset would be in order.  Try a base station power cycle first, though.

fatcat25
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks for the replys, I thhink I got it, but just having a bit of difficulty turning down the senesitivity.  Have it down to 4 now, hoping it will be enough to pick up foot traffic still.  We'll see.  

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation