Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
jluftglidden
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just installed an Arlo wire free camera on the front of my house and I'm seeing some issues with the motion detection system.  The camera is mounted under the eaves of my house pointed down towards the porch and sidewalk in front of my house.  My car parked on the curb is in the upper third of the screen and the street beyond is in the extreme edges of the top of the screen.  The problem is that the motion detection system is spotty at best.  It often triggers on traffic passing through the extreme edges of the screen, and does not trigger on movement in the center of the viewing area.  For instance, to get to my car I need to walk through the middle of the viewing area, but the camera does not activate when I walk to my car and drive away.  I've even walked into the middle of the viewing area and started waving my arms around, and the camera still does not activate.  What gives?

14 REPLIES 14
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The PIR works on IR or the reflection of same.... For people that max is about 20 ft

And yes the PIR sensor seems to be more sensitive on the edges as compared to the middle ...which is why motion detect is better across the field of view than straight on.

As a third note , it sound like the cam is covering to much area ( picking up the street traffic). Tighten up the shot and that may help..... Also if you can post a pic of view vs home some might have better ideas.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
SCBK8893
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issue except mine is triggering from the flag waving. It will pick up cars passing by but will not record activity directly in front of the house except the flag. Any recommendations? I have played with the sensitivity with no luck im getting ready to just return.
nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am having the same issues too. Spend hours and hours- Finally gave up !

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

SCBK8893 wrote:
I am having the same issue except mine is triggering from the flag waving. It will pick up cars passing by but will not record activity directly in front of the house except the flag. Any recommendations? I have played with the sensitivity with no luck im getting ready to just return.

Post screenshots for suggestions.

jluftglidden
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did eventually solve the problem regarding the camera not sensing movement in the center of the field of view by turning the camera sensitivity up.  However, that just introduced a new set of problems.  Now the camera is triggering serveral times a minute, and the batteries are being drained very quickly.  I could move the FoV down so it doesn't trigger as much, but then the camera wouldn't be able to keep an eye on my car (the reason I bought the camera in the first place)

It just doesn't seem like this camera is well suited to outdoor applications unless the viewing area is very small and/or not heavily trafficked. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's all about positioning.  As suggested before, post screenshots.  If changing camera positions isn't possible, there's a definite issue but in many/most cases a bit of creative thinking and repositioning can make a huge difference.

SCBK8893
Aspirant
Aspirant

IMG_2567.JPG

SCBK8893
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is what the view looks like when the flag triggers the motion.  Any help would be great.IMG_2570.JPG

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry to say, but it may require either moving the flag or the camera to avoid same.

Morse is faster than texting!
Coursey86
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine does not detect motion unless you actually move the camera itself. And the motion detection test says it's fine. There's cars that drive by on the street and my driveway and nothing happens
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What detection setting is used in your modes/rules?  What distances are we talking?  Is the motion across the FOV, strating at or near an edge?  Post screenshots.

Coursey86
Aspirant
Aspirant

Screenshot_2016-10-19-07-00-03.png

Coursey86
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is a manual recording and the street is about 50 ft. away and the cars pass from the right and left corner of the screen. Normally a car  parks in the far right corner of the screen under my carport but it does not pick up motion even if a car parks like in this picture. The mode is armed (motion detection). I'm out of town right now and the box with the model number is at home but I just bought at best buy and it was suppose to be the best one.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm not quite sure whatbim looking at but it appears that the camera is shooting through a window of some sort. That could lead to all kinds of detection issues. The angle also looks awkward to me but may or may not have anything to do with the issue.

Don't sweat the model. They're all the same as long as we know that they're either the original Arlo, Arlo Pro, or one of the Q cameras.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation