Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
KayLor
Aspirant
Aspirant
I tried typing this in Rich Text but it would not work. I am having major issues regarding motion detection especially outside. I could only find 2015 comments about updating software and sensitivity adjustments. It is 2016 and I would have thought Arlo/Netgear would have made sufficient changes to resolve this issue. I am disabled and home alone at times and need cameras that take immediate videos.. i purchased the 4 camera system at the recommendation of Best Buy. The sales person said if I contact the community Arlo / Netgear will quickly resolve the issue. It appears from others that this has been going on for more than a year...maybe longer. I need a resolution. Please help.
10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Motion detection is a trial and error thing and requires motion ACROSS the field of view at a reasonable distance to work best. Too many people try to get too much scene in the camera's view and have motion directly at the camera which makes it hard for any passive IR detector to properly note. Some screenshots of your various cameras positioning would be useful with descriptions of where you need motion to be detected.

jlt1267
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have to agree here.  My cameras seem to not be sensitive enough to pick up motion and start recording immediately, often missing the first 15-20 seconds of someone/thing being in the field of view.  However, inexplicably records when there is nothing in the field of view.  It's frustrating that its sensitive enough to record nothing, but not when I want actually want something recorded.  I assumed at first it had something to do with how it records and stores the video (AWS), but it's hard to find the balance between being set to not record every leaf fluttering in the breeze and still being able to capture real use cases. 

Funny thing is, videos that Netgear shares on Social Media show that same delay at the start of recordings.

KayLor
Aspirant
Aspirant
Without a manual, it is almost impossible to know how to make adjustments. I was informed that the manual on the website is old and can no longer be useful. I'm working on getting screen shots. Thank you for your patience.
KayLor
Aspirant
Aspirant
I agree. I saw recently that companies selling the video doorbell have updated their software to record immediately upon motion detected. Why not Arlo cameras?
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

KayLor wrote:
I agree. I saw recently that companies selling the video doorbell have updated their software to record immediately upon motion detected. Why not Arlo cameras?

Agree.  My VIVINT door bell camera SMOKES Arlo in the Motion detection arena.  The problem is that Arlo has to wake up from a coma "if" motion is detected, then it has to power up, then it records, hence the delay in recording.  Door bell cameras are "Powered" / always on, power coming from the door bell transformer at your home.

jlt1267
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo has no problem waking from a coma when a leaf flutters in the breeze. One of the things that I don't get is that motion is supposed to be based on IR, yet the cameras seem more sensitive to non-IR emitting sources. I have hundreds of recordings to show this, so I would have to Netgear tons if data besides mine to improve this
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Believe me I am on your side.  I was fed BS by Netgear when I first bought this system e.g.  "Arlo may not detect motion if the outside ambient air tempurature is above 98.6 degrees (the same a human body temp)  OR "Your concrete driveway could be interfering with motion detection".... I have heard it all...

kp22
Aspirant
Aspirant

Bugger, I bought the 4 camera system but the delay in recording from motion detection means it's not fit for purpose.  My whole family can get into the house undetected by 3 cameras!  We have ultrafast broadband internet, and the distances from cameras to main unit isn't far.  I'm going to take it back.  I'm surpised none of the reviews I read on the Internet prior to me purchasing mentioned the delay.  Gutted!

nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

Most of the internet review are base on easy to setup.We all believe that these are security cameras but they are not- JUST JUNK cameras. You made the right move of taking it back. Go with a real security cameras like the lorex or foscam.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kp22,

It could be that the location of the cameras is not optimal. Consider posting a screenshot from your cameras point of view, this may help us identify why the cameras are not behaving as expected.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation