Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Lousy motion detection

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
stewart45
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got this system mainly to keep an eye on our cat while we are away but am finding it difficult to find an ideal position for the camera to pick up her movement, mounting them as suggested 7' high and angled down does not pick up any of her movement, camera set to max sensitivity, the only way I can get them to operate is if the camera is about 2'off the ground, is this normal if you want to use it to monitor pets

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Indoors or out?  7' is recommended to help keeppeople from reaching up and grabbing the camera which isn't likely with Tabby.  However, 2' seems a bit extreme.  Maybe try different locations?

stewart45
Aspirant
Aspirant

Indoor, tried various positions without much success, other than the 2' one, invisable moggy i think,

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

stewart45 wrote:

I got this system mainly to keep an eye on our cat while we are away but am finding it difficult to find an ideal position for the camera to pick up her movement, mounting them as suggested 7' high and angled down does not pick up any of her movement, camera set to max sensitivity, the only way I can get them to operate is if the camera is about 2'off the ground, is this normal if you want to use it to monitor pets

Stewart... yes , I also watch my elderly cat at the food bowel ( to ensure she's eating /  btw wifes cat that hates me 🙂 )

I found the normal placement settings to high for a 9 lb cat...  best solution for me was to mount Arlo on a small 4" tripod at about 4ft away , settings at 85% sense.

see vid;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Caught-in-the-Act-Videos/Keeping-an-Eye-on-out-15-yr-old-cat-re-eat...

So. yes that 2ft is normal, remember the normal placement is prob for a person thats 15-20x the cats size.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
stewart45
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for that TomMac its what I suspected, Cat looks good for 15

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Cat looks good for 15

you should have seen her with some hair patches missing... ratty. 

BTW almost 16 now.... wife spent $1400 to find out what I said...." the darn cats old"

All came down to the right food and some pills from the vet.

Cat hates me, But i love the wife.... so the cat gets a cam!

Morse is faster than texting!
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Again I post that NetGear is listening and will have an update soon, that can boost the performance of the Arlo System.

-Robert
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

stewart45 wrote:

My sister has an Arlo system and hers is positioned 7' high and angled down and it has no problem monitoring her dog.  I know you say "well that's a dog", but my sister's dog is tiny, about half the size of an average cat, if that.

After reading so many issues with users having pick up movement problems, it almost seems like Netgear has a QA problem.  Their systems going out are not consistent.

Why does it work well for some and not for others?

Yeah, there may be users that don't have their system set up right, but I can't believe that's everyone.  

My sister just plugged the base in, installed the cameras, no setting changes and it just plain worked for her! Go figure?

-Robert
Nhellie
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Did I hear everyone talking about monitoring cats here? I have one of the cameras installed 10' on the laundry area, its on a diagonal focus (not really sideways as suggested)  set it on 95% sensitivity and seemed to work fine capturing cats (take note these cats are smaller than your cats because they are strays - they're not mine, but they visit when I'm not at home) 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Motion-Detection/Lousy-motion-detection/td-p/7867

I guess you'll have to play around with the sensitivty to get what you want for motion detection. 

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation