Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Link Camera to Chime

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mattcm32
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there currently a way, or could an update be made to the app, to allow a camera to ring the chime when it senses motion? I have a camera in my driveway to sense visitors and would like it if that camera could activate the chime so it could act as a driveway doorbell. Also, is it possible to update the app so that each device could be set to different modes independently? I like the geofencing mode, however, I'd like my driveway camera to record all visitors at all times and activate the chime at all times.

3 REPLIES 3
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Not sure if the chime will do it but I have an Amazon Echo Dot that announces "there's someone at the front door" when my front door camera detects motion. You can choose what is announced

Uriasrod
Initiate
Initiate

Hello:

I have the Chime configured to sound when there is motion on selected cameras and it works really well. Here are the steps to get it configured:

1. Make sure the Chime has been setup and configured and is associated to the base that you intend to have it activated on.

2. From the Arlo Interface, select Mode, Armed, selet the motion associated to the desired camera and click Edit.

3. Click on Add Device, select the configured Chime and click Next

4. I recommend selecting the Play Melody option and click Next

5. Select the desired Melody (You'll need to use different ones to deterine which one you like best, there is no way to hear them in advance).

6. Select the desired volume for the melody. I recommend starting at 50 and going up as desired.

7. Click Save

This will enable the chime on the desired camera when motion is detected. You can have it set for as many cameras as needed and have each one play a different melody if needed.  I currently have it setup for 2 cameras and it works well.

One recommendation is to make sure you have the motion sensitivity set correctly because otherwise the chime will get activated frequently and may become a bit disruptive.

One recommendation for Arlo would be to allow the pre-hearing of the melodies so that we can select which one we want when it is getting configured, rather than having to do trial and error of the rules for to be able to hear the diffirent available ring tones/melodies. It would also be nice to allow for custom chimes, which would allow us to potentially record our own message/chime, potentially even identifying which Cameras is being activated. 

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks!

mattcm32
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the excellent instructions. My only question at this point is, if that is the setting for the armed mode, doesn't that mean when using geofencing, the chime won't sound while I'm home and the system is set to disarm? Assuming this is the case, this is one major reason I'd like to be able to set the modes of each camera independently. I'd like to be able to leave my driveway camera set to the same mode all the time, therefore sounding the chime and recording video regardless of whether I've got the rest of the system armed or not. Either that or be able to edit the disarm mode settings like you can all the other mode settings. That way I could set up the disarm mode to have each camera do a different thing.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation