Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
mikewho
Tutor
Tutor

I have owned a five-camera Arlo system (original model) since January of 2016, of which three have fallen victim to the pink/red tinting issue that is apparently caused by faulty IR hardware that doesn't come out of IR-mode. The general troubleshooting for this is to open and close the battery cover, which has not proven successful. I had one turn pink that I sent in under a warranty claim since it occured within the first year of ownership, however I now have two more that have the same issue (now outside of the first year warranty coverage). 

Since the two cameras would need to be replaced out-of-pocket at this point, is it worth upgrading to the Pro system for the two malfunctioning cameras? Or should I be looking elsewhere for a surveillance solution? I really don't want to be investing in the Arlo system any further if the same hardware issue (or similar type of issue) exists with the new model. It may be too soon after the initial release of the Pro system to know, but I'd like to hear what others have experienced with the Pro system thus far and if it's worth migrating to from the original model. I'm quite satisfied with the other aspects and performance of the original model, I just don't like that the hardware started failing essentially just as the warranty period was ending/had ended.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The Arlo Pro does not have an IR cut filter, as it uses a new RGB-IR sensor instead of a standard RGB one that the other Arlo cameras have.  This means that the mechanism that moves the filter, which can get stuck on the old cameras (and cause the image to change color), does not exist in the Pro.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
steve_t
Master Master
Master

The warranty is 2 years.

I've just gone to exchange my 3rd pink Arlo for another one but my retailers no longer stock it and only have the Pro so are going to give me a refund instead of a new camera. I have a Pro camera but unfortunately it also has the pixelated picture with ghosting as per one of the other threads here. I'd rather get another original camera at this stage, now that I'm sorted with rechargeable CR123A batteries. Hopefully the pixelated video problem gets fixed with firmware soon but until then I'm holding off on getting another Pro

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

steve_t wrote:

The warranty is 2 years.

AFAIK, warranty is for 1 year. I've never seen reference to more although it's always possible I missed it.

mikewho
Tutor
Tutor

@jguerdat @steve_t When I sent in my first camera, I was told my devices were under a 1-year warranty.

EDIT: Note that I am located in Canada, and I read somewhere on here that the warranty period depends on in what region you are located.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Oh right. Guess it's just where I live

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The Arlo Pro does not have an IR cut filter, as it uses a new RGB-IR sensor instead of a standard RGB one that the other Arlo cameras have.  This means that the mechanism that moves the filter, which can get stuck on the old cameras (and cause the image to change color), does not exist in the Pro.

mikewho
Tutor
Tutor

This is great to hear! I've seen some other issues with the Pro model though they seem to have been fixed (or able to be fixed) with firmware updates and are not manufacturer's defects like the pink tinting is.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation