Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Icons in modes (camera and paper airplane) non functional?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
NerdGlasses
Star
Star

So there are these icons on the MODES screens... A paper airplane and a camera. I tap on them and they dim in response, BUT they do nothing else and seem to serve no function. What are these used for?? Just my 2-cents, but this app could use a little UX love.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
laurenc
Luminary
Luminary

Hi @NerdGlasses ,

Thank you for clarifying. The traditional camera icon is for a future release where you will be able to set your Rule to take a snapshot instead of record video. Currently, you can only choose to record a video. Once this functionality roles out, when you are under Settings > Rules > Tap on one of your Rules, under the THEN DO THE FOLLOWING, you will have the option to take a snapshot. If for example you select this for your Rule, back under the settings for Modes, this Rule's traditional camera icon will be green, and the Arlo camera icon will be gray. The icons represent what you have set in your Rules, so in order to change them, you must adjust your Rules settings.

Under the Mode settings, when you tap on the Rule and they dim in response, this means you have unselected the Rule for the Mode you are editing. Remember, a Mode is simply a grouping of Rules.

For example, for my Mode named Inside motion on, Outside off, I tapped "Rules for Backyard Camera" and it is grayed out and the check mark is gray because I don't want this Rule to apply. I only want my "Rules for Living Room Camera" to apply. 

Editing Modes iOS 3.jpg

In the default Mode named All motion off, both Rules are grayed out because we don't want any motion detection Rules applied.

Editing Modes iOS 2.jpg

In the default Mode named All motion on, both Rules are highlighted and the check marks are green because we want the Rules to detect motion for the Living Room and Backyard to apply for this Mode.  

Editing Modes iOS.jpg

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Lauren - Arlo Team

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
laurenc
Luminary
Luminary

Hi @NerdGlasses ,

Thank you for your feedback! The icons on the Modes screen is a pictorial representation of the Rules you have defined, so you don't have to click back on the Rules settings to see what you have setup in there. You cannot edit the Rule in the Modes page, which is why nothing happens to the icons when you click in that section (other than turning the Rule on/off for the Mode you are creating/editing). The running man icon on the far left represents the IF statement, and the camera and paper airplane icons on the far right represent the THEN statements for the Rule.

If in your Rules settings you have chosen to receive email alerts, the paper airplane will be green in color. If in your Rules settings you have chosen to not receive email alerts, the paper airplane will be gray in color. The running man and camera icons will always be green in color because these are the basic settings of the Rule. 

Running man icon: If motion is detected (green)

Camera icon: Then record video (green)

Paper Airplane icon: Then also send email alert (green - Send email alert | gray - No email alert)

I hope this answers your question. Please let us know if you need more assistance!

Lauren - Arlo Team

NerdGlasses
Star
Star
There are two camera icons. One looks like a traditional camera. The other looks like an Arlo camera.
laurenc
Luminary
Luminary

Hi @NerdGlasses ,

Can you please verify if you can see a traditional camera icon when you are under your Mode Settings? (Settings > Modes > Pencil icon [for whichever Mode you wish to edit] ). Below I have attached a picture of the different icons displayed for the Rules you can select for the Mode you are editing. 

Editing Modes.JPG

Let me know if you have any questions!

Lauren - Arlo Team

NerdGlasses
Star
Star
I'm using the mobile app. Under MODES/EDIT I see a traditional camera icon plus the Arlo looking camera icon.
laurenc
Luminary
Luminary

Hi @NerdGlasses ,

Thank you for clarifying. The traditional camera icon is for a future release where you will be able to set your Rule to take a snapshot instead of record video. Currently, you can only choose to record a video. Once this functionality roles out, when you are under Settings > Rules > Tap on one of your Rules, under the THEN DO THE FOLLOWING, you will have the option to take a snapshot. If for example you select this for your Rule, back under the settings for Modes, this Rule's traditional camera icon will be green, and the Arlo camera icon will be gray. The icons represent what you have set in your Rules, so in order to change them, you must adjust your Rules settings.

Under the Mode settings, when you tap on the Rule and they dim in response, this means you have unselected the Rule for the Mode you are editing. Remember, a Mode is simply a grouping of Rules.

For example, for my Mode named Inside motion on, Outside off, I tapped "Rules for Backyard Camera" and it is grayed out and the check mark is gray because I don't want this Rule to apply. I only want my "Rules for Living Room Camera" to apply. 

Editing Modes iOS 3.jpg

In the default Mode named All motion off, both Rules are grayed out because we don't want any motion detection Rules applied.

Editing Modes iOS 2.jpg

In the default Mode named All motion on, both Rules are highlighted and the check marks are green because we want the Rules to detect motion for the Living Room and Backyard to apply for this Mode.  

Editing Modes iOS.jpg

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Lauren - Arlo Team

John
Guide
Guide
Hi Lauren, shouldn't the paper airplane icon next to "Battery Charge" be turned on if the Low Battery Notification is turned on in the Settings/Preferences section? I turned it on there but the paper airplane is not highlighted. Also one of the outdoor cameras has 1 red bar for the battery and I haven't received an email alert yet?

Thank you
4vrnvr
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the low battery notification turned on but I don't have the battery charge line in the rules as shown on the screen shots above. I am running the Android app. Any ideas why I am not seeing this line? Thanks.

Greg

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation