Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

IR motion detection FOV too wide?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
10Gauge
Tutor
Tutor

I've been having a really hard time getting the cameras on the front of my house tuned in on the motion detection.  It seems that the IR sensor that triggers the camera to record has a wider field of view than the camera itself does.  One of my cameras is pointed nearly completely at the ground, and does not catch any part of the road in front of my house, yet even with the sensitivity down as far as 40%, I still get false hits every now and again from cars/trucks passing on the road.  This happens with my other cameras on the front of the house as well, none of them see the road in the captured image.   The problem with this is that I have to lower my motion detection so low that a lof times it does not trigger recording on a true motion event that it SHOULD be capturing.  This is quite frustrating.  Does anyone have any pointers for me?

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's at least one thread here that's been active recently about using tape to create a shield or to partially block the sensor. Also, make sure youre setting the sensitivity in your modes/rules, not in Settings, My Devices, your camera which is only for testing purposes.

Check this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Motion-Detection/Success-Mechanical-Motion-Detection-Zone-Masking/m...

10Gauge
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you very much for that link, that's actually a great DIY work around.  I am going to experiment with this this weekend if I get enough free time.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation