Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How is a rule deleted

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Boat52
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tried looking everywhere. Info base tells how to create a rule in a mode. Cant' find a way to delete a rule. Must be my oversight because I am sure it is obvious.

14 REPLIES 14
Boat52
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was told that a rule cannot be deleted in Armed. Each camera has one rule in Armed. But one of my cameras has two rules in Armed.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You delete a mode by editing it and then the rule. In there, at the bottom, is a Delete Rule button.

RKCameras
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here.  I have a camera with 2 rules and want to delete one in Armed Mode.  Delete is not always an option.  I have found that on my iphone app the delete only shows up if I edit something about the rule like the name.  Then save that.  Then go back and DELETE is available.  HOWEVER......I delete the rule and it just comes back.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just out of curiosity, is this an old rule from before the beginning of the year?  For some reason, those modes/rules that got carried over can have problems while a new one with exactly the same settings works fine.

Also, I'd recommend leaving the Armed mode alone so you always have a default sample to go back to.  Create your own rule that does the same thing if you like or make any mods there rather than to Armed.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RKCameras,

You should not be able to delete a rule within the Armed mode. This is intended. If you would like a mode that does not contain a specific rule for a camera you would want to create a custom mode.

That being said I see the behavior you are describing with the iOS app allowing you to delete a rule and then it comes back. I will escalate this issue for further investigation. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

JamesC

RetiredD
Aspirant
Aspirant

For what its worth, I had to add a replacement camera to my system and found it added an additional rule. When I modified the first rule in Armed to use the new camera I wound up with two rules that cancelled each other out and I couldn't delete. After some exploration I found if i added back the camera I removed attached the two rules I did not like to it and then removed the camera, both bad rules we removed with the camera. So, if you have rules you don't like, attach them to one camera, remove it, then add the camera back and it will give you a fresh rule.

Joe_A_EP
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do not have any option to "delete".  All I have, after editing a rule is "save" or "cancel".  I set up some rules, that I think are overriding each other, and I want to go back to defaults and set up the rules correctly.  how can I delete a rule?

Please help, this is driving me bananas.

Arlo_user_Houst
Initiate
Initiate
This is a lousy feature on Arlo. There is no way to delete a Rule within the Armed mode. Very disappointing.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, the Armed mode is there as a default for quick tests, troubleshooting or for very basic usage.  You really don't want to muck it up since you may need to fall back on it at some point.  It's much better to create your own mode(s) exactly how you want them.  Just be aware that when creating the new mode only one camera will be set up with a rule.  Save and reedit it to add more cameras, saving after each one.  ANy camera without a rule is disarmed, which is what you were after in the first place.

sandman99
Initiate
Initiate

The problem is, like in my case, that I have two rules in the Armed mode for the same camera. I have a front door camera, and there are literally TWO "record camera front door on motion" rules. Only one of them is empty in the "Then do the following" and it's stuck on "choose device."

This type of thing is insane after Arlo has been out for so long. SO, the end result is, that particular camera never records...I've tried more than once to remove and re-add...going to keep troubleshooting. 😕 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Armed mode can only be partially modified by design - it's supposed to have all cameras in there and armed so new users have something to work with.  Create your own custom modes to have full control - there are FAQs with directions here.

Jimhuz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 4 cameras and 5 rules in armed mode and the last rule (old) is conflicting with another. Very frustrating that I can not just simply remove this rule. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Create your own custom mode so you have complete control.  If there's an issue with the Armed mode the only way to fix it is to reset the system and start fresh since that mode is a function of initial setup.

Jimhuz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Many thanks. I have already started with one system and Will follow upp with another

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation