Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How far can the Arlo camera detect Motion?

Discussion stats
ArloNewbie
Follower
Follower

What is the maximum range that the Arlo camera will detect motion?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello ArloNewbie,

The Arlo camera can detect motion up to twenty (20) feet. For more information about motion detection sensitivity please visit How To Adjust Motion Detection Sensitivity.

Thank you for your interest in Arlo!

Christine - Arlo Team

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello ArloNewbie,

The Arlo camera can detect motion up to twenty (20) feet. For more information about motion detection sensitivity please visit How To Adjust Motion Detection Sensitivity.

Thank you for your interest in Arlo!

Christine - Arlo Team

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.
Rotarudan
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have two , one detects motion at three meters , the other one not even if you wave in front of it! Not happy ! And this is at 100% detection mode ! Any clues ?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can try resetting the camera by opening and closing the battery door or even replace batteries. And there's always a trouble ticket.

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi

I am getting some widely varying results, especially in night vision mode. I have one that seems to detect OK at night out to about 17 feet / 5.2m, and another that will only detect at night out to about 6 feet / 1.8m.

They are both mounted about 7½ feet / 2.2m above the ground - the long range one under the edge of the patio looking back towards the house across the patio, and the poorly performing short range one under the eaves/soffits of the house looking out towards a side gate next to the house.

Is there any tricks to getting these to perform better ?

Colin

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The usual trick to get the best detection is to have the subject move across the FOV rather than directly towards the camera.  Also, detection seems better when detected at the edge of the FOV.  A typical problem is having the camera set to view too much of the scene so the above suggestions don't happen well.  It could be just an adjustment of the camera or may need a different location to get the best detection.  Take a snapshot using your camera and share that link here from your library so we can see what you're seeing.

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks

This is the view from the camera that doesn't work so well - nighttime detection is not the best. Admittedly motion from the gate is usually towards the camera, although walking across the view from right to left further away does not trigger the video at night either.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/DCCADFBBF6877739

This is the patio view. I generally detects (even at night) right out near the top left corner which is about 5m / 16 feet from the camera. For example, if I enter the patio from the bottom left towards the top left, it will detect me near the top left.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/A3D2315CA907F5CD

For information, I am also testing this view of the side of the house. The camera is mounted higher just under the gutter. It does not give as good a view, and is far more exposed to the elements, but the night detection is better.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/A9714103A6C3CEE3

Comments are most welcome.

Thanks

Colin

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I like your testing camera position (your 3rd link) better than the 1st one because of the motion being across the FOV and starting at the edge. I wouldn't worry about element exposure - I have one that takes the brunt with no issues other than the occasional bit of snow that catches on the edge of the lens.

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks. No worries about snow here in Brisbane, Australia Man Happy. Daytime maximums have been hovering between 30-39°C (86-102°F) for weeks now. The coldest it gets here in winter is a "freezing" 2°C (36°F), and that is very rare - usually around 10°C (50°F).

We do get large hailstomes (up to 2-2½" in size), semi-cyclonic storms, tropical storms (200mm/8" in 24 hours), and ferocious sun.

The main problem I have with the "test" position is that usually when someone crosses it, it is only in view for a second or two, and the camera angle is so high, that faces etc are generally not very visible, so a combination of the fleeting view and "satelite" viewing angle does not make for ideal recognition of a subject.

Colin

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Rather costly but you can use one camera to trigger another.  Would you be able to use two of your cameras in combination this way?

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have 4 cameras and a use for each. I don't really want to spend another $250 for a 5th camera to use a an IR detector. Maybe just hope for a firmware update that might improve night-time detection.

Thanks

Colin

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

CCNE37 wrote:

I have 4 cameras and a use for each. I don't really want to spend another $250 for a 5th camera to use a an IR detector. Maybe just hope for a firmware update that might improve night-time detection.

Thanks

Colin

Hardware change maybe down the road, but firmware to improve night detect prob not... the IR illuminators already have a limited range and in my test the PIR works best to 20ft in good conditions.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

TomMac

Any thoughts on why (in my case at least), the PIR detection seems to detect out a fair bit further in daylight than in darkness ?

I did (briefly) think about insalling a separate IR lamp to provide additional "light", but I am pretty doubtful that it would improve detection, and my problem appears to be more about detection than actual video recording.

Cheers

Colin

cappa662
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't believe this to be true because I have it mounted a little bit under 20 feet and nothing is detecting right now at all.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Take a snapshot from live view and share the link here. That may help.

Clarebgray
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having issues with the two cameras which I just purchased. The motion detection is activated but it sends me clips of nothing quite regularly and when I went outside to check whether it would capture my movement, there was nothing. The camera is positioned above the window in the eaves (2 storey house) so it should be within the range. Any suggestions would be great.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Clarebgray wrote:
I'm having issues with the two cameras which I just purchased. The motion detection is activated but it sends me clips of nothing quite regularly and when I went outside to check whether it would capture my movement, there was nothing. The camera is positioned above the window in the eaves (2 storey house) so it should be within the range. Any suggestions would be great.

If I understand this right, the camera is aprox 18ft up from the ground (2 floor house under eave ).

That is already pushing the range but if the view is limited to a small area , it may still work.  There are adjustments for sensitivity in the edit under MODE for that camera.

Posting a snapshot if possible of the view may help other give tips to make it better.

My outdoor cameras are lower than 9 ft ( above reachable range of 7 )....

Clarebgray
Aspirant
Aspirant

image.jpeg

Clarebgray
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is the view from the camera. I was wondering if range maybe an issue but how does it explain so many video snaps which have no moving images? 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't see the picture yet... till it's ok'ed

But as to many false triggers... the PIR senses IR and if the device picks up a reflection of IR from a car, leaves,etc it can trigger a recording even if nothing is there.

I use to get a reflection of light from a neighbor window that triggered off the camera, it drove me a bit crazy till I fiq it out. Aimed the cam down a bit and problem was solved.

nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

Range is not the issue here- These security cameras been know to have problem detecting motion. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

nngnng wrote:

Range is not the issue here- These security cameras been know to have problem detecting motion.

Yes it may be...

If the PIR as i found has a detect range of about 20ft max, then if the cam is already at 18ft... your sort of pushing the envelope

It's one thing to make a statement that your having problems and /or you don't like the system but to go on every thread and just spout out negitives without any knowledge isn't helping the person asking the question or solving their problem.

Jaden
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had my outdoor Arlo in for a week now, it is about 4 meters of the ground, detection is at about 5m from it, not very impressive. 

Jaden
Aspirant
Aspirant

Although saying that it will detect a car going past at about 10m, so in that sence it is good, just will not detect a person at that distance.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a major difference in the IR output between a car (not only its own IR but reflecting the sun's output) and a person.  Normal detection for a person maxes out at 20 feet - less is better.  You obviously have too much scene for the camera - tilt it down so only the area of actual interest is included.  Post a screenshot for specific suggestions.