Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
TomArloPro
Tutor
Tutor

I have a 5 camera Arlo Pro setup.  I have it set for Geofencing that will Disarm the cameras when I am home. I setup a Schedule for 11:00pm to 11:59pm, and 12:00am to 6:00am to Arm the system.  Basically a SLEEP mode.  How do I get Arlo Pro to automatically switch from Geofencing (Disarmed) to Schedule (Armed) when I am home?  I can manually switch betwteen modes, but the Schedule will not Arm the system automatically if I am in Geofencing mode.

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think the general recommendation is to remove the GF devices and then back in.  Maybe something needs to be reset.  Also, make sure your location settings are on and appropriate.  I don't use GF so can't be more specific.

TomArloPro
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat,

Thanks for the reply.  I have reset all the devices and my location settings.  All the Arlo Pro Modes work fine independantly, it's just a matter of getting the Schedule Mode to override the other modes.  The Schedule Mode should have the Highest Priority, and it would be nice to then have the option to select a different mode when the Schedule completes.  As an example, if my Schedule Mode ends at 6:00am, then activate the Geofencing Mode.  Or if I have a Weekend Schedule also, then at 6:00am active the Disarmed Mode.  There should be a way to have this done without having to remember to manually switch modes every night.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TomArloPro,

Do you have the Schedule mode set to your "Away" mode in the Geofencing settings? This will allow the schedule to engage when Away and the cameras to Disarm when you are home.

JamesC

TomArloPro
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks JamesC,

I have the Schedule Mode set to Armed, because I want it to arm and record everything during the scheduled time frame.  I have Geofencing Home Mode set to Disarmed when I am home, but want the Schedule Mode to Arm itself even if I am home.  Currently I have to manually change to Schedule Mode while I am home in order for the system to switch to Armed at the scheduled time.

TomArloPro
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC wrote:

TomArloPro,

Do you have the Schedule mode set to your "Away" mode in the Geofencing settings? This will allow the schedule to engage when Away and the cameras to Disarm when you are home.

JamesC

Thanks JamesC,

I have the Schedule Mode set to Armed, because I want it to arm and record everything during the scheduled time frame.  I have Geofencing Home Mode set to Disarmed when I am home, but want the Schedule Mode to Arm itself even if I am home.  Currently I have to manually change to Schedule Mode while I am home in order for the system to switch to Armed at the scheduled time.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's your issue - you can't use GF to disarm AND the schedule to arm.  Use one or the other.

TomArloPro
Tutor
Tutor

Hence the problem!!!  This is a limitation of the Arlo Pro product.  Just because that is the way it currently works doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be addressed.  Many other systems, such as Canary, have added a NIGHT MODE to their product.  Night Mode with Canary takes priority over the other modes.  This allows the person to set the system to Private Mode when they are within their defined Geofence area.  Private Mode will NOT record and send notifications constantly while the person is in their Geofence area.  Night Mode can be setup to schedule a specified time frame (i.e. 12:00am to 6:00am), and will override the Private Mode and monitor, record, and send notifications when it detects motion when the person is still within their Geofence area.  Arlo Pro should be smart enough to do this without the end user having to MANUALLY switch between modes.

Tizzo13
Tutor
Tutor
This is the exact question that I have. Exactly the same scenario- I am home, it is 1am, and I'd like the cameras on my from yard armed.
I've read to go into modes and change the rules- which I have, 1 camera has the rule to be always armed, but geofencing takes priority.
I love the geofence feature, but as you said, I wish I could set two modes at once. 😞
Glunkey
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same boat here. Really wish you could set geofence as a mode under schedule, so that it would auto end/ switch to my sleep settings. Definitely needs to be addressed!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think you're looking at GF in the wrong way.  GF is NOT a mode any more than the schedule is. Your modes set the caameras the way you want them.  If you're at home, a certain mode or the schedule is activated so if you want certain (or all) cameras to be armed, select that mode for Home and/or the schedule.  Same thing for Away.

It seems to be a mindset thang here - try looking at the situation from a different angle.

Tizzo13
Tutor
Tutor
I understand the geofencing mode- I'm pretty sure..
But in a perfect world, what I'd like is-
Home mode=only front porch camera armed
Away mode= all cameras armed
Schedule= all cameras armed from 11pm until 6 am whether I'm home or not. If I'm asleep, I'd like them on.
But I can only choose "schedule" OR "front porch armed" as my home mode.
amichaela
Aspirant
Aspirant

Use  IFTTT to handle geofencing and keep the mode on schedule

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Tizzo13 wrote:
I understand the geofencing mode- I'm pretty sure..
But in a perfect world, what I'd like is-
Home mode=only front porch camera armed
Away mode= all cameras armed
Schedule= all cameras armed from 11pm until 6 am whether I'm home or not. If I'm asleep, I'd like them on.
But I can only choose "schedule" OR "front porch armed" as my home mode.

It may be that adding modes to the schedule is what's needed.  Keep Away as you do now but set a schedule for Home that has your front porch set for 6AM to 11PM and all cameras from 11PM to 6 AM (don't forget that you would have to set the schedule from 12:00AM to 6AM as well as 11PM to 11:59PM to make this work).  Then use the schedule for Home.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation