Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Leon71
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have 4 Pro cameras, 2 of which are inside the house and 2 outside. I have tenants, who would like to be able to automatically turn off the inside cameras when they're home as they find them intrusive. Is it possible to turn these individual cameras off, by geolocation from their phones, possibly using IFTTT? Obviously, I don't want them to have access to my PRO account, so either a simple separate app for guest users or some option from my PRO account to allow their phones to geolocate individual cameras to 'disarm' would be great...
4 REPLIES 4
Leon71
Aspirant
Aspirant
...just to add to my comment above, I'd like the 2 outside cameras to always be on regardless of who is in or out. It's just the 2 inside cameras (lounge and kitchen) that I'd like to be able to disarm when my tenants are home.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

IMO, That's going to be very hard to do what you want without allowing some access to the cameras

The easy way to do above IS IF the tenants come home on a regular basis at about the same time would be to SCHEDULE off the inside cameras while leaving the outside on

This schedule could be done by creating a new mode to split the inside/outside cameras up

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Leon71
Aspirant
Aspirant
I thought about the 'scheduling' mode for during the week, but that is very limiting and could mean the cameras are off when tenants get home late and the property is still empty, or alternatively, still on when the tenants are home, like at the weekend and have no regular routine.

CCTV is ever more present in people's homes, and what wouldn't necessarily feel intrusive in a family home with cameras set up in communal areas, like the living room and/or kitchen, can seem Intrusive when having tenants. Although I'm a 'live in' landlord (I reside at the same property as my tenants), I don't want my tenants to feel like I'm watching them, but feel the need for added security, especially when tenants can be absent minded and accidentally leave windows open, voiding my insurance if I were to be burgled.

A system which I already use for my central heating and uses geolocation for my tenants is called Heatmiser NEO. I can give limited access to guests by 'sharing access', meaning I can authorise specific users to only use the geolocation section of the app, so that when the last person leaves the property, the heating automatically turns off. No other access is permitted (unless I want to), so my personal account is always secure and my tenants geolocation is what only turns on or off the heating just by merely having the NEO app installed on their phones with 'guest' access only. Obviously, they have manually control of the thermostat once inside.

Therefore, something like this would be a great addition to the Arlo app. An admin user could authorise a guest user, by email, from within the Arlo app as a 'limited' user, and then after they download the app and use their email address with an automatically generated password to gain limited access, which the admin user can control by selecting which individual cameras are automatically disarmed when guest users enter the property, leaving outside cameras armed. Then, when the last person that leaves the house, regardless of whether it's the admin or guest user, those same 'disarmed' cameras then re-arm themselves automatically. If the same sort of upgrade could be applied to the Arlo app as the Heatmiser NEO app already has, I'm sure this would add another incentive to using the Arlo camera system, especially to landlords...
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Like I said, you would be giviing some access to the cameras ( read below ) and it can be limited as to the admin right or not and is on a per camera basis.

Tho the geozone works, not sure how much your willing to give up to make it work ( works better with one phone, but can with two, tho I believe still in beta )

But to add more info, as to what Shared users can do/see;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/What-privileges-do-my-friends-have-when-I-grant...

Here's how to do it;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-add-and-manage-multiple-mobile-devices...

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation