Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
ronjill29
Follower
Follower

I'm using geofencing with my wife and my iPhones.  When I leave home the system recognises that I have left and that my wife is still home.  However, the system will still alarm and send texts and emails to say that there has been movement.  Is there anyway that I can stop it alarming if one of us is at home??  Thanks

107 REPLIES 107
JackBourne
Tutor
Tutor

Hi all,

I'm just publishing an update to the problem I previously had where I could not add my wife's iPhone 6 to the geofencing list.Technical support finally gave me a solution to the problem. The name of the iPhones cannot contain an apostrophe. This must be a frequent problem because when you setup an iPhone, Apple suggest your name followed by an apostrophe, such as "Jack's iPhone6". This was the case with my wife's iPhone. Changing the name of her iPhone solved the problem; her iPhone appeared in the Geofencing list. The system now works as it should, when both of us leave the house, the cameras activate and when one of us is at home, the system stays disarmed.

wsscott
Guide
Guide

Jack-To use a common phrase from Virginia:  "That dog won't hunt".  I'm glad its working for you, but I don't think that's a solution to the problem some people are having.  Both of my iphones are identified on Arlo with " 's" in the name, and geofencing is working.  We have two iPhone 5's, one using IOS 8.0 that's jailbroken and the other using IOS 10.  Maybe it has something to do with new iPhone models.  Do people using Androids have the same issue with Geofencing as iPhone users?  Hmmmmmm?

Rhyddin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since my post the other day, and reinstalling both our iphones (under separate accounts) as the triggers for the geofencing, it has worked flawlessly. Absolutely no issues.

The only notifications I get now are when the cat walks across the floor while we're both out and when the system changes from home mode to away mode, and visa-versa, as my wife comes and goes while I'm out. I can cope with that!

Plus, I actualy read the instructions and realised the Q has a magnetic base so it easily replaced my Nest cam on the wall mount that was already in place. Getting better, Arlo - now just give the UK the Pro 2!!

zhangxin511
Tutor
Tutor

Mine still keep on armed as long as I am not in the zone, no matter what we have done:

1. restart the app, enable/disable her device for the geofence etc.
  2. Both my wife and my iphone device names changed a-zA-Z Character Only, specifically as FirstnameIphone.
  3. I invited my wife at first place and granted her Administrative Rights.
  4. Update the firmware to the latest version.
jecampo
Tutor
Tutor

I don't know if this will help you but I believe I know what is happening. Assume Home == Away and Away == Home and set your Arlo system that way. I believe that when updating the iphone application Arlo may have inverted the Home and Away titles, it is working for me after I set the Home setting as Away and the Away seting as home.

In summary the titles Home and Away are wrong, in my case (I also have and iphone 😎 the geofencing is working but the lables are wrong. 

paul_andrada
Aspirant
Aspirant

Try this:

1.  Open your Arlo app.

2.  Login to your primary (admin) account.

3.  Click "Mode."

4.  To the right of "Geofencing," click the small "pencil" icon.

5.  Click "Enabled Devices."

6.  Remove the check mark in each box next to every Iphone.

7.  In the upper right, click "Done."

8.  In the upper right, click "Save."

9.  To the right of "Geofencing," click the small "pencil" icon.

10. Click "Enabled Devices."

11. Place a check mark in each box next to every Iphone.

12.  In the upper right, click "Done."

13.  In the upper right, click "Save."

If you followed these instructions, your enabled devices are refreshed.

jschweda
Tutor
Tutor
Yes this works most of the time, but you have to do it on a daily basis. If I have too do this I might as well manually arm and disarm the system. You need to find a solution that keeps this working without manual work.
JackBourne
Tutor
Tutor

I don't know if you guys read my previous messages. I solved my problem when I changed the name of my wife's iPhone; Arlo does not like apostrophes in the phone's name. The geofencing feature works well for us. We have the latest iOS on two iPhone 6. 

Best Regards,

Jacques.