Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
ronjill29
Follower
Follower

I'm using geofencing with my wife and my iPhones.  When I leave home the system recognises that I have left and that my wife is still home.  However, the system will still alarm and send texts and emails to say that there has been movement.  Is there anyway that I can stop it alarming if one of us is at home??  Thanks

107 REPLIES 107
Dslunceford
Guide
Guide

Same here. Wife's phone can be home and will not work properly.

Ohmygosh
Initiate
Initiate

I continue to have the same problem. Geofencing works with my phone but not with my wife's. So whenever I'm away and she's at home, the system remains active. 

I also have one other issue with geofencing combined with a timed setup. In the evenings we have our cams set to turn off, however, even when I am at home in the evening it continues to be on. So not even geofencing is kicking in at this point. 

It would be great to get a more detailed view from the developer or software engineer on this as these issue should be easy to fix. 

Its A) resulting in lots of false positives (unnecessary notifications) and B) draining my battery life.

Arlo please help us fix this.

draku007
Star
Star

I think the geofencing works correctly most of the time. Initially when I started the thread I had the same issues as you guys are listing here but I found my ways to solve them.

The biggest problem is when one of the phones is turned off and Netgear loses connection with the phone. That phone (iPhone in my case) usually stays as "out of zone". I have to go the the app on that phone, remove the phone, save it, go back and add the phone. After few minutes the phone should be showing the correct status.

I do agree that they should fix it or at lease improve it. The feature has been in beta for a long time now and I don't see anything being done to it since I owned arlo pro.

MrMason
Star
Star

Well,

Geofencing does not work nearly well with Arlo Q and two mobile phones connected.

I tried all you "tips", and the work, maybe for an hour or two. Than it is circus again...

And "beta" for >6 months? Why is no one working on these errors?

I was happy about the features when I bought the Arlo device, but VERY dissapointed when I got stuck with reality.

When will geofencing be released in a non beta version, 2020?

If Geofencing would work, I would be very pleased, but now it is just A LOT OF WORK WITH MANUALLY TURNING camera on and off.

Nothing I would RELY ON at all!!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MrMason,

What issue are you experiencing that indicates it is not working? Please give us more details on what you are seeing.

You indicate using two phones, are each of those phones using a different Arlo login? For more information on using multiple devices with Geofencing, see here: How do I add and manage multiple mobile devices for geofencing?

JamesC

GumbyD
Guide
Guide

Using Geofencing with one phone also has issues. Once upon a time it did seem to work but lately it sets Geofencing OK and when home unarms the system then arms after leaving. But upon return it does not unarm it again like it did once upon a time. Could this be related?

morinidawn
Tutor
Tutor

morinidawn
Tutor
Tutor
When using the geofencing feature on my Arlo system it continuously changes to armed and unarmed while I am still in my home. I never log out and have my home address programed into the app. Any suggestions on how to make this stop? Very frustrating because it is recording when I am home and do not want it to record
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

morinidawn,

Try increasing the location radius within your Geofencing settings (small> medium, medium>large). Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

GumbyD
Guide
Guide

Mine is still behaving this way today.

ArloReallySucks
Star
Star

Welcome to the Arlo-world. I guess this is how it is supposed to (NOT!) work.
Even worse with the last App-update. 9 times of 10 you can't get an status for the camera, because the App times out, saying that the camera is offline, which it is not, because the webpage works well, and say's the camera is online, without having to wait for 1-2 minutes. . 

morinidawn
Tutor
Tutor
Originally had on small radius did it all the time so I change to medium and still continued to do it. I just change to large when I got home and it's already done it
Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

If you have the schedule on and armed during geofencing then it still will trigger one device when yor away from home. It has to be in schedule mode and disarmed when one smartphone leaves home then it will not arm and send a notification.

morinidawn
Tutor
Tutor
I do not have any schedule on
GumbyD
Guide
Guide

On mine when you touch Geofencing it turns Schedule off and arms or disarms depending on your location.

BigBiped
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi - among the various problems I experience with Arlo's geofencing function I find this one most baffling.  Would be great if anyone has any insights into how I should resolve.

I have a bunch of outdoor cams and two indoor (Arlo-Q HD with audio). Two phones are set up for geofencing.  Sometimes one of the indoor cams disagrees with the others about where the phones are!  Right now one indoor cam thinks the phones are both at home but the other one thinks both phones are away (this camera is wrong).

Any ideas what causes this?

RHoskies
Aspirant
Aspirant
I totally agree. A terrible system.
Netgear has had this in "beta" for over a year now. Legit worst engineers anywhere. They want close to 1k for a full system that still doesn't have simple fixes solved.
Everyday I wish I went with ANYTHING other than Arlo.
They won't even respond to help inquiries.
RHoskies
Aspirant
Aspirant
ITS THE SAME ISSUE WE HAVE ALL BEEN COMPLAINING ABOUT IN THIS AND OTHER THREADS!!! WHAT IS GOING ON AT NETGEAR?! Who hires these people???
Nrdandrea
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello-

Are there any updates to when this feature will be out of Beta and fully developed? I've tried all recommended solutions at this point but the hues account is still not triggering the system to disarm. It appears to only properly work with the phone that owns the account.
cyin2000
Tutor
Tutor

I finally figured why Geofencing was working for my phone and not my wife's phone.

The location setting on wife's iphone (Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Share My Location > From) was set to previous's iphone.  It should be pointed to (This Device).  After multiple iPhone upgrades, the location didn't point to the right device !

Now Arlo is able to locate both devices properly 🙂

clex2
Guide
Guide
cyin2000 has this right. The deeply hidden menu in the location settings needs to point to your phone. Somehow wife's phone got redirected to her iPad. Followed cyin2000's instructions above and geofencing now working great.
clex2
Guide
Guide

Correction: cyin2000's fix did not solve the issue. What I found to be more reliable is to not grant access to the second phone. Just use the same main account login for all devices. Only downside is both parties can't login in simultaneously. But otherwise seems to be the most reliable way to geofence multiple users.

Nrdandrea
Aspirant
Aspirant
I agree. These fixes do not resolve the underlying issue of not allowing two phones to be active participants in geofencing.

Netgear- please provide an update as to when. Fix will be resolved to correct this issue.
quigger11
Guide
Guide
My problem as well!
wsscott
Guide
Guide

I've got 2 iPhones that we use.  The instructions say that in order for first in, first out to work, both devices have to be signed in on their apps.  The problem is that if I sign in on iPhone 1, and the app is running on iPhone 2, then the app signs out of iPhone 2 since only 1 instance of the app can be running at the same time.  Do I have to have different accounts for each device?  If I have 5 phones that I'm using, do I have to have 5 accounts?