Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
defilade
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have geofencing set up with two devices, my phone and my wife's. It's set up so that the system activates when we leave and disarms when we come back. This works perfectly with one device because it does exactly what you want - it turns on when you leave the house.

But what I've noticed with two devices is that it activates if either one of us leaves, so even when someone is still home, the system is activated. So it seems like the logic is, "if any device is out of zone, then do X" when what I'd like is, "If all devices are out of zone, then do X". If you think about it, if the point of geofencing is to allow you to activate the system when you leave then there's no point in activating it while someone is still home.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to set this up so that it only activates when both of us are out of zone?

103 REPLIES 103
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

defilade,

What devices and OS versions are you and your wife using? (example, iPhone 5S iOS 9.3.2, Galaxy S4 Android v5.0.1)

JamesC

defilade
Apprentice
Apprentice
Mine iPhone 6s iOS 9.3.1 (and the account is based on this device)
Wife's: iPhone 5s iOS 9.3.1

I did a test tonight, taking each phone out of the zone individually. When I left my wife's phone at home and took mine out of the zone, the system armed. When I left my phone at home and took my wife's phone out of the zone, the system did NOT arm. The mystery deepens!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds like the system is not actually set for both devices or location settings on your wife's phone isn't set properly/not working.  Remove both devices from geofencing (one at a time, if necessary) and add back in, saving as appropriate inbetween. Check location settings on both devices.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

defilade,

Is the Arlo log in on your wife's phone signed into the primary account or is it using an account that has been given access via the Grant Access feature?

JamesC

defilade
Apprentice
Apprentice
I granted her access and she created her own login.

And to answer jquerdat's question, her location settings seem to be working fine because it shows her as "out of zone" when she's away from the house.
JTurcic
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this same problem.  My wife's phone and mine are both iPhone with iOS 9.3.1 and we share the same login.  When one of us leaves, and one is still in the geofenced zone, Arlo enables away mode.  Here are some screen shots.

This shot shows I'm away, and wife is home:

IMG_0718.PNG

This is immediately after when I switch mode to "Geofencing" to on, Arlo immediately switches to away mode:

IMG_0719.PNG

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for the feedback. I have escalated these reports to the Beta team for review.

JamesC

EarlyAdopter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Experiencing the same issues with multiple accounts.  Wife and I are on iOS 9.3.1 on two iPhone 6's.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those of you having issues utilizing multiple devices with Geofencing I will be reaching out to you in a private message to collect and escalate more information to the Beta team.

Also take a look at the latest article regarding Geofencing and multiple user support: How do I add and manage multiple mobile devices for geofencing?

JamesC

DCrusher
Aspirant
Aspirant

okay this great EXCEPT FOR MAKING ANOTHER ACCOUNT COME ON!!!  If I have 2 device on one account and she's getting notifies and can see the video and edit and do everything I can WHY DOES SHE HAVE TO MAKE ANOTHER ACCOUNT??  Just one more thing to remember damn I love that it make no sense.    

rjhenderson15
Guide
Guide

Does Netgear have a timeline when this will be addressed? I am tired of getrting constant notices while my wife is still at home.

EarlyAdopter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo iOS update this evening (6/16) with the details listed as "Bug Fixes".  I tested a couple of the scenrios I was having issues with and they seem to be working now.  ie, Husband phone left zone, wife phone stayed in zone and the in zone rule was to look at the calendar, when was to Disarm at that time.  Once 10pm arrived, the calendar then changed to 'armed" and all worked.  More testing to be done with a variety of scenerios - both phones leaving zone, etc.  But some hope....

EarlyAdopter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Experiencing same problems this morning.  Disregard my original post.  Hope was lost.

rjhenderson15
Guide
Guide

Is there a moderator on this forum that can give us some sort of timeline on these issues?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have escalated the feedback in this thread to the Beta team. I will post back as soon as I can when I receive an update.

JamesC

Nikoj69
Initiate
Initiate
Having the same issue. If my phone (iphone 6 & current iOS) leaves the zone but my wifes phone (iphone se & current iOS) which I have shared acces with, then the system arms, even though it's telling me her device is still in the zone.
Tried enabling and disabling rules, devices, device geo etc etc etc, but still same problem.
So frustrating.
EarlyAdopter
Apprentice
Apprentice

James,

Can you give us a status update?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have forwarded these topics to the beta team for review. Geofencing is still a beta feature and will see more updates in the future.

Regarding the use of multiple devices with Geofencing, some users have reported refreshing their enabled devices (toggle enabled devices off, save, and then toggle back on) has helped with the issue being discussed here.

JamesC

EarlyAdopter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, believe it not....  I toggled my wife's enabled device, saved and then toggled it back on and saved.  I had little confidence this would do anything.....BUT, it seems to working now - even with the Home Mode = Schedule.  I will have to test this over the next couple of days as various scenerios natually happen - but this will be great if this functionality now works!

rjhenderson15
Guide
Guide

So, does it work?

Any update on this from the Beta team?

It is extremely annoying to use the geofencing only to have a ton of alerts because my wife is still home. If it recognized that both phones were out of the set geofencing distance and THEN armed - all would be good.

Please update!

Rob

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rjhenderson15,

Consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Also be sure the app stays logged in and is running on both mobile devices. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

EarlyAdopter
Apprentice
Apprentice
Rob,

I ended up deleting the App and then reinstalling on my phone / primary account. It seems to be working. Don't ask me why. Maybe try that and see what happens.
John_Gaines
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have the same issue that my wifes phone does not disarm the camera when we use the geo fencing feature.  If I cannot resolve this I will be returning the camera.  I would love for it to work, please help?

rjhenderson15
Guide
Guide

I tried doing that with both my phone and my wife's phone to no avail. The cameras still arm every time my wife is at home and I am not. This is incredibly frustrating and I think I will be returning the cameras unless this gets fixed soon!