Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing away triggered when home

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
IntlAg97
Tutor
Tutor

The issue I'm having is with the geofencing in the latest release (2.2.0_14738) of the Arlo app for Android.

This app was great, but I will have to say that since the latest update, the geofencing auto arm which was working great for weeks prior (previous version), now sometimes auto triggers away even when at home / not moved.  

I know it's still technically still in beta, but now it will randomly go to away mode when at home where it never did this before in the previous version of the app.  It is not consistent, but mainly within an hour or so of getting back home.  Sometimes it won't ever go back to home, and sometimes it will go to home mode and then back to away, then back home.  Sometimes it works normally.  

If I go into google maps and look at my location (to ensure my phone knows where I am), and into the geofencing mode map and see I'm inside the home area circle, it still can stay at "away".  This is not all the time, but still a bit annoying as I have to sometimes now manually disarm the cameras when I get home.  I'm hoping they can look into the geofencing changes made with the latest android app release.

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

IntlAg97,

Geofencing is designed to operate on a "first in, last out basis". This means that if any device is in the Geofencing radius the "Home" mode will enable, and the "Away" mode should only enable when the last device has left the radius.

For this to work be sure the app stays logged in, is running and location is enabled on your devices. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

If you are having trouble with this, consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Geofencing is still a Beta feature at this time and the engineering team is working hard to improve it. We appreciate any and all feedback related to this feature.

JamesC

IntlAg97
Tutor
Tutor

Unlike the other posters, I only have GF enabled on one device.

I have the arlo app on two devices total.  An iPad which never leaves the house (and under GF enabled device settings/menu, this is NOT selected) and my phone.

Even if logging into the iPad (which logs me out of my phone) while at home, unsure while it would ever say away if both devices are home.

I've uninstalled the iPad app for now and will continue to monitor.  I will also make sure that the app is always logged in / running on my phone.

I'll update if I still have the issue, but the root cause at a high level is that the location informaiton the app uses to determine home / away seems to disagree with location data (both on Google maps and within the map in the GF setup).

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation