Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
nodder
Guide
Guide

Hi All,

I've read some of the threads but wanted to also provide some feedback.

Arlo cameras (x3) setup very quickly and painlessly 🙂

Geofencing with 2 mobile devices set up and working very well - sets the presence to home or away correctly and arms cameras when we are 'out' zone.

So far so good!

We would like the cameras to arm at night - whilst one or both of us are in.  However the schedule does not kick in (or at least not with any regularity), similarly if armed manually overnight, the schedule does not disarm in the morning  via the schedule.

I believe I have followed all advice provided here so far...any thoughts?

Would be perfect for us if this can be made to work!

Thanks for the help...

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What phones/OS are you using?

nodder
Guide
Guide

2 x iPhones - both with app installed, set to use location services and to allow run in background - app always shows phones in correct home/away location, but will not change over to schedule as expected when it gets to 2300 and at least 1 phone at home...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I asked becaause I'm trying to get Android 6.x folks to see if a phone setting would help.  Your setup would seem to be the same thing as what I'm suggesting for Android:

One thing I'm starting to suggest to GF users that happen to have Android 6.x installed is to check out the battery settings for the phone, specifically "Battery optimization" located in the phone settings under Battery and then using the menu. The default view is "Not Optimized" but you can use the pull-down for all apps.  Select Arlo and choose "Don't Optimize" and see if that helps with allowing the app to be more responsive to changes in location.  Yes, it can use more battery that way but it may also help with GF issues.  If enough folks try this, we'll get a feel for whether this change helps or not.

nodder
Guide
Guide

The only 'Settings' I can apply specifically for the Arlo App is as follows:

Location (ALWAYS)

Notifications (Banners etc.)

Background App Refresh (YES)

Mobile Data (YES)

Any thing else I can try?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

An iOS user will have to jump in here - I have none.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

nodder,

Consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Also be sure the app stays logged in, is running and location is enabled on your devices. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

Geofencing is still a Beta feature at this time and the engineering team is working hard to improve it. We appreciate any and all feedback related to this feature.

JamesC

nodder
Guide
Guide

Just in the spirit of feedback - the app seems to switch onto the schedule at night (correctly) but not once has it ever turned the cameras off based on the schedule (in the morning).  The apps are set to run in background, and remain logged in...it seems to be simply that the schedule is unable to turn off.

Both phones are running the latest version of iOS and of the Arlo app.

Looking forward to a stable version of this feature moving into full release!!!

scaier
Guide
Guide

Did you ever resolve this? Mine seems to also have problems with diarming because of schedule in the morning, doesn't seem to have a problem arming\disarming because of geofence. A couple of times this week I've had to toggle the geofence mode off and on and it always starts back in the right scheduled mode after that.

nodder
Guide
Guide

Unfortunately it is still an issue for me...

I agree with you though - the app does not have any issue arming/disamring using geofencing, and seems to be perfectly happy to arm in the evening based on the schedule, it is just turning itself back off in the morning that it seems unable to do!

I use an IFTTT/DO button to toggle on/off straight from the iPhone (6PLUS) if necessary, but like I say - it all works a treat with the exception if the mornings!

Very frustrating, as otherwise seems flawless for our needs - battery life is good, sensitivity is good, notifications are good, recording quality is good.

Come on Netgear - crack this one for us 😉

scaier
Guide
Guide
Support asked me to reinstall the app, which I balked at because the schedule processing was the problem, not geofencing. But damn, that seems to have fixed it. It makes no sense to me why that would make a difference, curious if does for you.
nodder
Guide
Guide

Hmmm thanks for the tip.

Interestingly over the last week the whole setup seems to be behaving itself, and I have not had manually disarm the cameras in the morning.  I have made no changes, done nothing differently.  So like you am a little confused.

I wonder if the firmware update made a difference?  Maybe I'll check to see what level all the cameras are now on...

nodder
Guide
Guide

well we can scrub that idea - neither my basestation nor cameras have yet updated to the latests firmware release.

Must be some other pixie dust that has made things work 😉

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation