Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Erroneously triggers motion detection when I launch mobile app

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
texbeau
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am finding that when I launch the Arlo mobile app on my Android device, 1 or 2 of my cameras erroneously and immediately are triggered for motion detection. Is there any sort of reset I can do to correct this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
texbeau
Apprentice
Apprentice
I restarted my base station and it appears to be resolved now.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I believe this was report before by another user...

I'd put in a trouble ticket ( top of page SUPPORT, then CONTACT SUPPORT )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

texbeau,

I have escalated this issue for further investigation. What is indicating that the app is triggering the motion detection? Do these triggers produce recordings, do you see the running man turn orange? Does it happen every time you launch the mobile app? Does it occur on any other devices?

JamesC

texbeau
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

JamesC wrote:

texbeau,

I have escalated this issue for further investigation. What is indicating that the app is triggering the motion detection? Do these triggers produce recordings, do you see the running man turn orange? Does it happen every time you launch the mobile app? Does it occur on any other devices?

JamesC

Hi JamesC,

I'm having same issue with my android app, almost always it causes one motion trigger when starting the app. I would say it does exact same things as for an ordinary motion (get the motion notification, shows the active motion on with running man and it produces recordings).

It seems to be a random event with any of my cameras, by now I am certain it is the app causing it. Did the shutdown/restart of home base station and problem keeps reoccurring.

Thanks for any input or escalating this issue to tech support.

Paul

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm having same issue with my android app, almost always it causes one motion trigger when starting the app. I would say it does exact same things as for an ordinary motion (get the motion notification, shows the active motion on with running man and it produces recordings).

Paul, your not alone... 

When I turn on ARMED via my android LG phone ( with os 4.4.2 ) about half the time it will triiger a motion event in the first of my cameras... yes it does record the set time set in sttings...

Just fig it was a glitch and as long as it doesn't happen and give me a false record/alert after , I wasn't worried.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

Paul, your not alone... 

When I turn on ARMED via my android LG phone ( with os 4.4.2 ) about half the time it will triiger a motion event in the first of my cameras... yes it does record the set time set in sttings...

Just fig it was a glitch and as long as it doesn't happen and give me a false record/alert after , I wasn't worried.

Hi TomMac,

Yes it is frustrating........just wondering and hoping whether Netgear is going to fix that in the future.

I know there are lots more important issues to deal with, but it would be nice to see this fixed.

Thanks for sharing,

Paul

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Actually I just found out it does same thing with iPad or iPhone apps, not just android!

My guess........."it's the Arlo software/hardware" causing this, not the app.

For all it's worth.

Paul

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And then it does no such thing on my devices, computer (W10) or Android 4.4.2 (Galaxy Nexus), or 6.0.1 (Nexus 6 and 10).  It's odd that it does this on your devices but not all.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

And then it does no such thing on my devices, computer (W10) or Android 4.4.2 (Galaxy Nexus), or 6.0.1 (Nexus 6 and 10).  It's odd that it does this on your devices but not all.

Yeah that is so strange.......It does it on my android smartphone, my son's iPhone and my wife's iPad, but not on my PC either.

So what's going on?

As I said in my previous post, I do believe it has to be with the Arlo equipment hardware/software, in the way it deals with the various devices connecting to it. Maybe by device brand/type, just like anything else these days, there usually are many different device compatibility when connecting to one another. I was never able to replicate some of my old Moto-G smartphone feature when connecting to my Samsung TV with an iPhone.

It is what it is, unless of course (being in Canada) the air is different around here.....too cold? 🙂

Regards,

Paul

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

texbeau wrote:

Yeah right.......how ridiculous....have you tried lately? C'mon tell me it's not doing it anymore. This is actually classified as a "fix"???

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Paul... To maybe aim you in the right direction, I don't see it on the PC, nor the iPad.

I only see it on my LG android phone AND it happens on two cams 1)cam is the first one in a nested rule setup. And is my first cam in the mode

2) my last cam (highest #) into the mode

but it doesn't happen all the time 

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Tom:

I don't get it on my PC either.......just on portables (phone and tablet) running android or iOS. It's also very intermittent as well. Sometimes it doesn't happen for a few days and other times it will do it three or four times in one day.

Have not been able to pin it down to any particular camera, with some it will do it more often. I also can live with it, it just bugs me that "fixes" like that are reported around here and the fact it goes way back to over a year ago. Sure Netgear must feel it was either fixed or a fluke just hitting a few devices. It may be but why is it affecting all my portable devices (running Arlo app)?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

It seems to be even more of a problem lately. Just about every time android app is open, one or more cameras trigger recordings. It's become a very steady (and annoying) issue, sometimes I purposely avoid opening the app to check on things at home.
Is it possible that something like this is unfixable??? With all the software updates constantly released you'd think it would've been resolved by now.
Thanks.
Paul

texbeau
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes. Happening even more now. Whenever I launch the mobile app it triggers 2 or 3 false motion triggers.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Getting worse by the day. Now it even false triggers 1-2 cameras when switching schedule mode!

This is terribly annoying now, had 8 false triggers caused by the app in last 4 hours.

Uninstallin/reinstalling app doesn't do anything, it must be caused by a software bug from base station or cameras.

Paul

agarlo
Star
Star

I also started having this issue about a week ago.  I get false motion detections on only one of 3 original Arlo cameras.  It happens when the schedule changes modes, when I make modifications to the modes, or when I open the app.  Only happens on one camera of 3, but is happening several times every day.  Does not seem to be related to motion detection by the camera as I never get false alarms unless I am accessing the app to review clips or make modifications to the configuration or change modes.

AG

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

I guess nothing will ever be done about this.......as long as the majority of users is not affected by this problem, no one will give it any attention.

Paul

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

It looked like problem had gone away, didn't happen at all for over a week. However it seems to still do it again now, but only very occasionally. Not so bad.......I can live with it.

Paul

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Seems fixed now......haven't been getting any more false triggers for a few days in a row, so tha's good.

Since there hasn't been an update to the app that could've fixed it, I'm thinking it had to caused by either the camera or the base station software. Really hope it stays this way!

Thanks.

Paul

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation