Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
falconT70
Tutor
Tutor

The geofence feature seems very unstable to me (yes, I know it's still in Beta). I'd say it's only accurate in detecting in/out of zone about 50% of the time. The other times it could show that the phone is out of zone when I'm home or show that I'm in zone when I'm away. The former seems more common.

We have to phones configured: Samsung Galaxy S7 running Android 6.0.1 and iPhone 5. Any tips or advices on how to make this feature more reliable? Any logs that I can provide maybe to debug this problem? Any idea when a stable version (non-Beta) release is expected?

Thanks,

Tom

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

falconT70,

It sounds like the issue could be with locating your phone within the radius. Consider increasing the location radius within your Geofencing settings (small-> medium, medium-> large).

JamesC

falconT70
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for the suggestion. I increased the radius from small to medium. I'll give it some time and report back if it helped.
falconT70
Tutor
Tutor

Changing the radius made a difference, but for the worse 😞

First time I checked the system when I was outside the house, way outside the radius on the map. The system's status was Disarmed (first problem). I went into the Geofencing setting, looked at the Enabled Devices status and both phones were shown as Unknown (second problem). Took it about 30 seconds to change to Out of zone, which was the correct state.

Then when I got home I started getting alerts while I was in the house (third problem). I checked the system status and it showed Disarmed!! (send alerts while disarmed - fourth problem). I was getting alerts every few seconds so it wasn't a one time glitch. I checked the Geofencing devices and my phone (which was in the house for about half an hour) was shown as Out of zone (fifth problem).

Unfortunately the Geofence feature is totaly unusable. It is so unstable it should not have been released even as Beta.

RDU-Man
Initiate
Initiate

I like everything else about Arlo but am also disappointed in the geofence behavior.  It will NOT consistently arm/disarm based on proximity, even after playing with the radius multiple times.  Sometimes, when I leave for work, it will take 10 to 15 minutes to arm itself after I am out of the radius, and when I come home, there is a lag before it disarms.  I know it is not a problem with internet connection or base station communication, because my iPhone often beeps a motion alert right as I am unlocking the back door.  This tells me that

1. the camera is accurately sensing motion in a timely manner and successfully sending a signal to the base station, and

2.  the base station is promptly sending an alert over the internet to my iPhone via the app.

But, the reverse is not happening.  As soon as the app senses that my phone is within the radius, it should be sending a signal to my base station and camera to disarm.  That signal is getting held up somehow by an app problem. I know that my phone is accurately tracking my location by checking this function in other apps.

Netgear - please get your programmers to straighten this out!  Otherwise a great product!

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation