Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Enable and Disable Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Wolfpack416
Tutor
Tutor

I want to disable and enable cameras quickly and easily.  This isn't motion detection enable and disable....this is to totally stop the camera from displaying anything back to apps that manage it.  No instant feed, etc.   

Basically,.there are times when some privacy is needed on one or more of the cameras....I see nothing in creating rules about totally turning a camera off.   Any help appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Wolfpack416 wrote:

I want to disable and enable cameras quickly and easily.  This isn't motion detection enable and disable....this is to totally stop the camera from displaying anything back to apps that manage it.  No instant feed, etc.   

Basically,.there are times when some privacy is needed on one or more of the cameras....I see nothing in creating rules about totally turning a camera off.   Any help appreciated.

The Default MODES you should have are ALL MOTION ON and ALL MOTION OFF

When ALL MOTION OFF mode is active, the cameras WILL NOT RECORD OR DISPLAY video unless manually record is started from the PC / app.

( you can check on the live view screen to see if your camera are off by the "running man". GREEN is  motion detect ON, GRAY is motion detect OFF

If your concerned with someone that has your log-in will view, you can always power down the base unit from its power switch... everything will be shut down. A simple power on and the system will come back up in 1-2 mins ( tho in this case I would not do this but i'd change my P/W )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
gswood
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can you remotely power off the base unit?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

NO, you can only reboot it

alofff
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unless I'm missing something on this "help" reply from TomMac, we are still addressing MOTION on/off.

The user's question, as is mine, is how to completely turn off one camera so, when pulled up on PC or Android, there's nothing there/a blank screen/ a statement that camera is OFF, a skull and crossbones, etc, ANYTHING but a picture display from that camera.

What am I missing?

Maybe I'm missig the finer points of ALL MOTION ON/OFF.

Whether I have ALL MOTION ON or OFF, I get basically the exact same options/same screen, which is, camera checkmarks either green (motion detection enabled) or black (motion detection DISabled).  Static display is still on screen.

Thanks.

Alf

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

All motion off simply stops the automatic recording.  All functions are still available but the camera is essentially in a very low-drain sleep mode.  If you want it completely off, you need to at least open the battery door and/or remove batteries.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

"Basically,.there are times when some privacy is needed on one or more of the cameras....I see nothing in creating rules about totally turning a camera off.   Any help appreciated."

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear and/or didn't get the question right.

As mentioned above, there is really no way to completely shut off the camera except opening the battery door.  this guarantees the camera is off and the program will show the camera is offline if accessed via any of the programs. (** not sure if it contains a old static picture but it does say offline )

Yes, it is a pain to do so. The older vuezones had a on/off switch on the bottom but Arlo doesn't.  ( maybe a good suggestion request )

I have a cam in the master bedroom but don't worry to much about it as I turn it into the wall when home ( its on a table mount ) and only face it into the room when we are away.... After a few times it became habit for family to do so. Also its the one camera we use as mobile ( grand kids when sleeping over, etc ) so it gets moved alot.

None of my other cams really have a need to be covered, but I do understand your concern.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation