Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
iSage
Luminary
Luminary

I really wish Netgear would address this problem that has been getting worse over the past 2 weeks...

As I have reported several times, including just a few days ago along with several others, I am getting the Push Notifications/Alerts on my cell phone when motion is detected on any of my 3 Arlo wireless cams, but the email alerts as well as the video that is supposed to then show up in the Library is quite delayed (been taking anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to get email alert or video to show in Library, or not showing up at all!!). I'm still missing email alerts and videos from yesterday that never showed up at all!

What good are my Arlo cameras if I'm not home, but get a push notification alert(s) about motion being detected, but cannot "see" exactly what is going on at that moment??

No email message means no image to click on, and no video in Library means the same. This is absurd! I've checked and re-checked each and every setting, even deleted all previous days' videos, but there is no rhyme or reason as to why some motions show up, some show up quite late, while others don't show up at all.

I am very disappointed and not a happy camper or customer of late at all.  In the past 2 weeks, this problem has gotten worse instead of better. My husband wants to rip the 3 cameras down at this point and literally dump them and take the $450 loss for what we paid, because he's tired of seeing me stress out and be upset over this.

Please Netgear - PLEASE address this problem on these boards to myself as well as all your other Arlo customers with the same problem. And as I suggested in my last post from 1/29/16, it would be great if you created a 24-hr Status page to let your customers know if there are server problems, software problems, hardware problems, etc.
  Thank you in advance,
~Susan

146 REPLIES 146
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I use OpenDNS with no issues.  Verizon for the phone, though.

Lamorena619
Tutor
Tutor
when you find out what's wrong with the camera is not showing the status and how many times has recording or email alerts can you please send me some kind of update or something on what's going on
Gutty
Guide
Guide
Problem solved. Your fix worked and my ongoing issues were operator error. In other words, my "vcr's are all blinking 12:00" if you know what I mean. I'm not a dummy but tech savvy is not my strongest suite. Ugh. My only recommendation would be to improve the app software to be More user friendly.
lstockda
Tutor
Tutor

I am also experiencing no email alerts, nothing in my library for days, motion detection being reduced to 10% on a daily basis on each camera...and i have 5, motion capture time being reduced to 50 sec's from 80, motion detectioin not working....what is going on over there at Netgear!!!!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My settings have been stable but who knows why your's aren't.  Try making a new mode temporarily - maybe it's somehow the mode that's the problem, sort of like when the update was done at the beginning of the year the old modes had issues but a newly-created one with the same settings work fine.

artrix
Guide
Guide

All systems (except counter, which I hear is still is a work in progress) are up.  After the camers started working again (two days now) I had to go in and re-do the modes (to custom) and rules.  My push info both email and cell # (in  the form of an email address) had to be re-entered.  All that was gone.  After I did these things, I got the notify messages. I think you're right about the MODE, I changed that to ALL MOTION ON custom, where before it was set to ARMED.

I am glad the moderator spoke up - I was ready to take these cameras down.  I will close the ticket.

Jimfr
Guide
Guide

I'm having more issues with this, but ONLY with the Android app.  Today is 3/6, but the Android app doesn't show any video captures since 3/2.  The good news is that the web app shows all the videos, and I can still get to the videos on my VZW Note 5 (running Marshmallow) by clicking on the link in the email I receive (in a timely fashion).

I just upgraded to Marshmallow, so that could be the problem.

I've tried logging out/in, clearing the cache and force-stopping the app, all to no avail.

P.S.  I just tried uninstall/reinstall and now everything is working fine, but I will keep an eye on it.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Jimfr wrote:

P.S.  I just tried uninstall/reinstall and now everything is working fine, but I will keep an eye on it.

The Android app was updated last week and if you didn't have that update installed, no wonder you had problems. It was a known issue that not all videos appeared in the library when viewed with the Android app. This has been fixed with the new update.

Jimfr
Guide
Guide

Thanks Schorschi,

I did have the latest update, but still had the issue.  Everything seems to be working fine after the uninstall/reinstall.

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Nifer,

Everything had been working beautifully since last month (Feb. 19th, 2016), when the engineers applied a fix and also disabled the counters. My 3 ARLO wireless camera alerts were immediate, so were the emails and the videos in my library.

BUT.... I've noticed for the past 3 days, including today, some of the email alerts are starting to come in late again after motion is detected, (anywhere from 10 minutes to 29 minutes so far today), and because of this, they of course come in out of time-stamp order.  It's coming in late on both my email accounts, which are on different servers, so I can't blame just one email server for this.

I hope it's not due to the counters - I don't use them any way and they seem to be not keeping the correct count most of the time either. 

I'm back to once again keeping a written log  all motions/alerts/emails/videos again 😞

Is this something you and Netgear are aware of or something else???  TIA!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

iSage,

I am getting push notifications and e-mail alerts on time after motion events are triggered. I have not been able to replicate the delay.

I will reach out to you in a private message for more information.

JamesC

Nifer
Luminary
Luminary

Hi iSage, I am very sorry to hear that the issue is reappearing. I just sent a message to the lead engineer asking for recommendations. I hope to have more information in the next 24 hours. Thank you for letting me know of the issue so we can resolve it.

dragonrb
Aspirant
Aspirant

still getting a O and also still getting a delay in the pacific bayarea of two and a half hours.tks..

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

Nifer wrote:

Hi iSage, I am very sorry to hear that the issue is reappearing. I just sent a message to the lead engineer asking for recommendations. I hope to have more information in the next 24 hours. Thank you for letting me know of the issue so we can resolve it.

Thanks for the reply, Nifer...

It happened again today as well.  I got the alert/push notification after motion was detected at 1:17pm (ET) on my "Garage" ARLO wireless camera, the video showed up immediately in my library, BUT I got the email 1 hour and 9 minutes late at 2:26pm. 

All other alerts, emails and videos today -before and after the one I described above on all 3 of my cams - all came in on time. This is now the 4th day in a row I'm noticing some delayed emails. I gave additional details to moderator JamesC yesterday in a private message.

Thanks for working on this and keeping us apprised.

~Susan (iSage)

Nifer
Luminary
Luminary

Hi iSage, thank you for the additional information. I've shared it with our engineering department head.

Dragonrb, I've also shared your information with engineering.

They are searching for a resolution. Thank you for your patience and support!

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Nifer,

Far be it from me to diagnose the problem, LOL, but everything was working absolutely perfectly until the counters were turned on again last week.  May just be a coincidence, but when the counters were turned off originally back in February, that was when everything started working perfectly again.  <shrug> 🙂

~Susan

(iSage)

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

The counters behave differently now than from before.

They show the count of videos recorded since the last time you opened the library.

So, as soon as you open the library all counters will be reset to zero.

Observe the counter behavior again with that piece of information.

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

Schorschi wrote:

The counters behave differently now than from before.

They show the count of videos recorded since the last time you opened the library.

So, as soon as you open the library all counters will be reset to zero.

Observe the counter behavior again with that piece of information.

Yes, the announcement about its new functionality was posted here on 3-4-16:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Announcements/Arlo-media-counter-optimized/td-p/1058353

~Susan

roxacrawford
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just set up 5 Arlo Wire Free cameras last night. Video is showing up in Library intermittently after push notifications of motion detection. At times it shows up right away. Other times there is quite a delay. I have been waiting for 2 hours for video to show up from this morning. Please advise.

Nifer
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Roxacrawford - I'm very sorry to hear this. I've sent this information to our lead software engineer. I hope to have an update in the next couple of days. Thank you for letting us know about the issue.

Nifer
Luminary
Luminary

Hi iSage, any changes to your experience with the cameras, either good or bad? Does the problem persist, or has it resolved? Thank you!

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

Nifer wrote:

Hi iSage, any changes to your experience with the cameras, either good or bad? Does the problem persist, or has it resolved? Thank you!

Hi Nifer,

Up until very early afternoon yesterday (3/16/16), the push alerts, emails and videos were all working great once again. 

But then I noticed 5 times yesterday, that for the very first time, I didn't get push notifications for motion that was detected - wouldn't have known motion was even detected if I didn't get the emails and the videos. Was quite surprised because push alerts were never a problem before this.

These are the times (all east coast time) that I did not get any push alerts on either my iPad or my iPhone: 12:25pm (on both my Garage and Basement cams), 12:32pm (on Garage cam), 12:35pm (Garage cam), 12:37pm (Garage cam).

As I mentioned above, this was odd, as not only had this never happended before, but I did get alerts both immediately before and immediately after the missing alerts listed above, and it was only when I saw the emails and videos for them that I realized there had not been push notifications for the 5 times.

~Susan

iSage

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

iSage,

Is it possible you were logged out of the Arlo mobile app during those times you did not receive push notifications? If you specifically tell the app to log out, push notifications will not be received.

Are you now getting push notifications as expected?

JamesC

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC wrote:

iSage,

Is it possible you were logged out of the Arlo mobile app during those times you did not receive push notifications? If you specifically tell the app to log out, push notifications will not be received.

Are you now getting push notifications as expected?

JamesC

Hi JamesC:

Absolutely, positively, no. I've never shut off push alerts, emails or videos nor have I ever logged out at all. But I checked it anyway, and everything was set just as it should be...

Here's what happened yesterday (on Wed. 3-16-2016) according to my log:

-I got my first motion push alert on both my iPad and iPhone, with its accompanying email and video at 10:06am ET.

-I got a second motion push alert on both my iPad and iPhone, with its accompanying email and video at 12:26pm ET. <-- It was when I checked my email and video on this one, I saw I had two additional emails and videos in my library, but never got the push alerts for them on my iPad or iPhone.

- Even though I know I never changed anything and never logged out, I checked all my modes/settings/rules, and nothing had changed same as it's always been since I set them back in Nov. when I purchased the 3 cams.

- Had my husband go outside and deliberately set off motion all 3 cameras - but got push alerts for only two of those camera motions at 12:26pm and 12:29pm, though I did get the correct of emails (3) and videos (3)

- Kept testing and setting off the motion and it was ok for all 3 cams at 12:33pm and 12:34pm.

- But, at 12:36 and 12:37 did NOT get these two push alerts on either iPad or iPhone once again, though again the emails for them and their videos did show up in my library.

-From 12:38pm and for the rest of the entire day yesterday, I had no more problems. It was just during the 12 minutes between 12:25pm and 12:37pm when I got some push alerts, but not all! (5 were missing in total). But all emails and videos were accounted for.

-Today (Thursday, 3-17-16), so far, as of this writing, all seems to be working again just fine - all alerts/emails/and videos are accounted for. 🙂

~Susan

iSage

Nifer
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks, iSage! I've forwarded this feedback to our lead engineer and will meet with him later today to see if he has any further questions. I really appreciate your help!