Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Detecting motion, then activating other cameras

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Target_Acquired
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello!

Okay, I have a screen enclosure in my backyard; it protects my swimming pool.  Currently, I have three cameras in place (all aimed toward the house or along the face of the house, covering house doors, windows, and screen enclosure doors.  I may add a fourth camera to aim away from the house at a key door location.

I am very concerned about

A) somebody tearing through the screen and breaking in the sliding glass doors or

B) tearing through the screen and going for a swim (kids)

Nobody should be in my pool area when I am away.  If anybody IS there, I want all the videos I can get,  I want to see the colors of their eyes, and I want to see faces and bodies for good identification, especially if they break a window or go for a dip in my pool without permission.  If any of these cameras see anything, I want all three or four of them in that zone to start recording.

Therefore, I would like to set up rules so that any of these cameras detecting motion in this zone would have the ability to activate all 3 (or all 4) in said zone.  Can I do this?  

All I can find is the option to have (for example), On Camera 3 Motion, Activate Camera 3 (or alternatively, activate Camera 4).  But no way it seems for me to send a command to activate multiple cameras in a zone.

This would be highly useful.

3 REPLIES 3
Target_Acquired
Apprentice
Apprentice

I ran a test.  More testing is needed, but I think it works.

Imagine this.  You are standing on the edge of the pool looking North over the pool to the house:

• Cam 3 on West pool screen door points Northeast to capture house (North) and other screen door (East).  Cam 3 can't see you.
  • Cam 4 is behind you on pool screen pointing north at house.  Cam 4 can see over your head and going from L to R, it captures dining window, two sliding doors (one to family room, one to master br), bedroom window, and the East screen door.
  • Cam 5 on East pool screen door points Northwest to capture same bedroom window and other pool screen door (West)

I just created a test mode with three rules.

1. On motion cam 5, record on cam 3
  2. On motion cam 5, record on cam 4
  3. On motion cam 5, record on cam 5

Then I tested it by walking through the East screen door across the pool deck.  It's night, so I see Cam 5 lights up as soon as I walk through the door.  As it should, because it's aimed right at my head.  I take about four steps and cam 4 (looking straight at the house) is lit.  Two or three more steps, and cam 3 is glowing like HAL.  Ding, Ding, Ding!  3 text messages, yay!

More testing is needed, and of course this will take a lot of rules.  I hope that the Arlo developers will eventually provide the logic for composite rules (the "and" in "If-then-and-and-and."  But for now it seems doable.

AnthonyArmato
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for posting this. I actually wasn't aware this was possible until reading this then looking at the rules page. I'm going to have to play with this myself !

JT
Guide
Guide

Great tip!

I followed your lead and set up other cameras to record when motion is detected on the camera just inside our preschool front gate during non-school hours.  (The gate camera is set to record for 10 seconds.)

So, when motion is detected at the gate, the gate camera records for 10 seconds, then a notice is sent out. THEN (sometimes) another camera starts to record. Problem #1: the second camera doesn't awlays record when motion is detected on the gate camera

However, when it works correctly, a person walking quickly through the gate can get through this viewed area AND through the next camera's vieded area by the time the second camera starts to record. Problem #2: the second camera does not start recording immediately.

Any help is appreicated!

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation