Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Data Useage suggestion...

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Dwb4000
Guide
Guide

Data useage has become a problem for me, I am allowed 5 gigs/mo.  I just spoke to support, who said that this app automatically downloads ALL of the video everytime the app is opened.  I suggest that ARLO create a data saving option, that would ONLY download the thumbnails initially, and then ONLY download the videos AS I am watching them.  this would save a LOT of data usage; since many of the videos get deleted without even watching them.  thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While I haven't monitored this specifically, I have no indication the every video is downloaded unless you specifically do so. Yes, thumbnails are downloaded but not the whole video. I think someone misspoke.

Dwb4000
Guide
Guide
So I ran a test yesterday, and monitored the data usage. I left the phone off for several hours, checked data consumption, then opened the arlo app, which had about 30-40 10-second videos stored and waiting. I did not open ANY of these videos. I then shut the program down, and ONLY checked my data consumption for the next several hours, to determine what the exact data consumption was from opening the Arlo app. It was 10 Meg's.

Wouldn't that be a lot, if the only data it was downloading was the thumbnails?

I don't believe your answer is accurate.

Thanks!

Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice
I noticed on my Droid that if I hit the notification window icon on my phone it will sometimes give me a download. I typically clear then open the app. Try this an share results please.
Dwb4000
Guide
Guide
I did close out all appreciate apps while running this test.
Dwb4000
Guide
Guide
I did close out all apps while running this test.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Dwb4000 wrote:
So I ran a test yesterday, and monitored the data usage. I left the phone off for several hours, checked data consumption, then opened the arlo app, which had about 30-40 10-second videos stored and waiting. I did not open ANY of these videos. I then shut the program down, and ONLY checked my data consumption for the next several hours, to determine what the exact data consumption was from opening the Arlo app. It was 10 Meg's.

Wouldn't that be a lot, if the only data it was downloading was the thumbnails?

I don't believe your answer is accurate.

Thanks!

Oh, it may well be inaccurate. However, don't forget that data usage is both up and down. And there's also anything else going on, not arlo-related, that adds up. Potentially, just checking data usage uses data, depending on where you are and how you check it.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Dwb4000 wrote:

I just spoke to support, who said that this app automatically downloads ALL of the video everytime the app is opened.  I suggest that ARLO create a data saving option, that would ONLY download the thumbnails initially, and then ONLY download the videos AS I am watching them.

I have to also say that something was improperly spoke re above.... I tested with 8 cams and a date containing of 25 videos

On my PC, which has a data monitor, It does not d/l the videos until actually opened in the library. ( going to assume the apps works similar )

There is an initial spike of data when the web first opens and the previous views of the cameras load.... Then nothing. 

Going to the library there's is another spike of data as the thumbnails load for the current date, more thumbnails mean more data.

Then clicking on the thumbnail of one video, it pops up large but no real data flow UNTIL you hit the play button... At that time the video d/ls ( showing a data transfer ) and plays

On my Ipad and Android phone, there's always a lot of data flow in the background IF ALLOWED. On the android I don't normally use data as it's turned off and only run wifi... maybe you can control more of your data flow in that way

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Dwb4000
Guide
Guide
Great observation! Thank you. That sounds consistent with what I saw; as I saw 10 megabytes used just by opening the program. I believe there were about 30-40 new thumbnails downloaded, so they do pack quite a punch. That amount represents 6% of my entire daily allowable useage (based on a 5 gigabyte plan); AND I didn't even VIEW a single video.

I think a more "Data Economical" option for the program would be a great offering by the netgear software developers; possibly an option that only initially downloads text stats, no thumbnails, to help those who don't yet have unlimited data plans, and aren't in a wifi environment for many hours/day (i.e. work). Thanks again for your efforts!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dwb4000,

That is a great idea. I encourage you to visit the Arlo Idea Exchange and post your idea there so that it gets proper exposure.

Thank you for your contribution!

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation