Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

DEFECT: Android App will not run when using bluetooth tethering

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

I connect my tablet to my phone using Bluetooth tethering to access the internet.  The app will not run on my tablet because it thinks internet is only available on WiFi.  Please fix.

13 REPLIES 13
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

XJW,

Do you encounter this issue with any other application or just the Arlo app? Have you isolated the issue to it not working exclusively when it is tethered? For example does the app work on the tablet if you are in fact on a WiFi connection? Please let me know so I can further assist!

JamesC

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Your app works on WiFi.  I use Bluetooth tethering everyday with a multitude of apps.  Does your Testplan include Bluetooth tethering.  If not please add a tescase to cover it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I agree that having BT tethering tests would be useful but I'm not sure that's the problem.  It would seem to simply need an Internet connection but could be coded to use only the two normal (WiFi and cell) connections rather than to look for another/any possibility. I'd also check your setup in case there's some blocking going on with the tethered connection (I'd guess on the device supplying the Internet connection) as has been noted in other unrelated cases.  The firewall and/or AV software could potentially be blocking ports, in this case likely to be port 443.

This is just a SWAG, not a real proposed "solution"...

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

The same phone and tablet work using WiFi tethering which suggests its nothing to do with the mobile data connection  / configuration.

Has anyone else tested Bluetooth tethering for the app on a tablet connected to mobile phone connected to mobile data ?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I haven't used BT tethering at all, only WiFi, and not for accessing Arlo.  The (potential) catch is that others have had similar problems with computers/browsers that were solved by changing settings to allow ports 80 and 443 to be opened to the Arlo servers. It didn't seem to be a problem since everything else worked but the changes enabled Arlo.

I agree it seems weird but the possibility exists...

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

As WiFi tethering is working I don't believe it is a port issue.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not sure what you're saying - you've tried WiFi tethering and all is well while BT tethering isn't?

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

The ports are not blocked for Tablet>>WiFi tethering>>phone>>Mobile data.  Why would blocked ports impact Tablet>>Bluetooth tethering>>phone>>Mobile data ?  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unless it's something about the BT driver or configuration. It may well be the app that has the problem and has nothing to do with the tether. What about browser access while using BT tethering?

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why has this not been fixed.  Every other App on my tablet works using Bluetooth tethering.  The only reason the Arlo app is not working is because you are blocking it by checking only for WiFi and Mobile Data.  Don't do this check like evey other App and your app will work.  It's unnecessary and breaks your app.  Remove it or improve it to actually check for Bluetooth tethering.

Why have you been unable to fix this after so many months.  It's the smallest of fixes ?????

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Any update ?  This should have been a simple fix to implement ?

alan_murphy924
Aspirant
Aspirant

As of 3 July 2017 Arlo over a Bluetooth tethered tablet is still not functioning. Keeps complaining that there is no internet connection!

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Every other app works with Bluetooth tether.  YouTube works with Bluetooth tether so do not say that it's video related.  All you need to do is remove an unnecessary check from your code.  

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation