Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
AskMcGowan
Star
Star

Hi,

I have been playing with Arlo for a couple of days and I love it but there is a lot of room for improvement. For example even though not a deal breaker but this would be so much better.

There is a setting to crop the screen, so zoom in with the camera, this means, if for example it is in my garage, I can zoom in on the garage door and it will only show that on the screen instead of the entire room.

What I would like is a way to "crop" or select a screen portion for motion detection.

So once again say the garage, I want to show the entire room but motion only works on the gatrage door, so if I am doing laundrey in the back it does not sence it and record, but if the door is open it does while showing the entire room.

Is this possible?

5 REPLIES 5
snip3rboy
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @AskMcGowan ,

Thanks for your feedback!

If you don't mind, please post your idea here: Submit Your Idea Smiley Very Happy

NerdGlasses
Star
Star

You're looking to create motion detection zones. Because Arlo uses IR to detect motion and not pixel changes in the image, I'm going to guess that the answer is going to be that what you're looking to achieve is not possible. It is a great idea, and I would love that feature too though!

AskMcGowan
Star
Star

Fair enough,

But as a software engineer I know how powerful software can be.

It does not need to rely on pixles. All the have to do is "cut" the full image into a graph - say 9 squares - and specify, I want motion to be within these squares - so even though motion is detected everyuwhere, if it is not within the selected range, it does not record.

I am 100% sure it is doable unless there is something in the middle we do not know about.

It doesnt have to be perfect, just a little more precise.

'

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

AskMcGowan wrote:

But as a software engineer I know how powerful software can be. ...snip...

As an answer to you question , yes it's possible in sw... but that hasn't happen yet.

I was thinking more hardware....  of a mask covering half the ir sensor to eliminate picking up half the room ( that you don't want ).

It's a bit a of rube goldburg method but for now it may do what you want.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
AskMcGowan
Star
Star

Actually hardware or software to me it doesn't really matter, I would just like to have the option 🙂

Hardware definitely gives more possibilties, since I do not know rthe structure of how it is built I cannot say how they would do it, but if they can I am all for it 🙂

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation