Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
ArloNewbie
Follower
Follower

Can I place a camera in a window pointing outside and have it still detect motion?

14 REPLIES 14
ArloTeam
Arlo Employee
Arlo Employee

The motion sensor used in our cameras is actually detecting small changes in heat. Most glass used in homes today is insulated in one or more ways, and it is intended to reduce the movement of heat through the glass. In some cases, your motion detection camera may even detect motion "behind" it, as the heat is reflected off the inside of the glass. 

So, to answer your question: No, the Arlo camera is not likely to detect accurate motion through glass. We have had some customer mount their cameras outside (out of reach on a camera screw mount) utilizing the motion detection feature to monitor the outside perimeter of their location.

Thank you for your question!

Arlo Team

lyricladanichan
Guide
Guide

Is there a work around on how it detects heat if it is inside ( I do not have a dual pane window)? 

Will Netgear bring out a enclosure for the camera outside so it does not get stolen if put outside? 

ArloTeam wrote:

The motion sensor used in our cameras is actually detecting small changes in heat. Most glass used in homes today is insulated in one or more ways, and it is intended to reduce the movement of heat through the glass. In some cases, your motion detection camera may even detect motion "behind" it, as the heat is reflected off the inside of the glass. 

So, to answer your question: No, the Arlo camera is not likely to detect accurate motion through glass. We have had some customer mount their cameras outside (out of reach on a camera screw mount) utilizing the motion detection feature to monitor the outside perimeter of their location.

Thank you for your question!

Arlo Team

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

>Is there a work around on how it detects heat if it is inside ( I do not have a dual pane window)? <

>Will Netgear bring out a enclosure for the camera outside so it does not get stolen if put outside?<

If you mean detect thru glass , no..... If you mean disable the motion detect, no... unless you physically cover the ir detect with tape.  

No cover is needed as the cameras are water proof as is...As to getting stolen outside,  you can use any normal screw mount for cameras. Some are resistant to tampering... nothing can stop some one from taking it they want it that bad ( even cars are stolen )  🙂

As a side note, there was a mention of 'skins' for the cameras in color/camo ?? for future... I wrapped one in camo cloth when it was out side in my bushes.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Rachel-Ryder
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just purchased the Arlo and had the outside mounts but returned them because I could just put the cameras inside my windows both front and back (as per the setup guy). I couldn't get the motion detectors to work and phoned the store where I got them. They assured me that the reflection on the glass was the problem. After multiple times up and down the stairs to move the cameras without success I took a break. I was reading the reviews while waiting for dark to see if it made a difference. Apparently it won't. Your retailers need to be educated on the use of this camera. I can't give a good review of the actual camera until I get it hung up and working - outside.
Rachel-Ryder
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can watch the live stream but as stated in the earlier post, I know what my yard looks like. And the batteries would just get used up at warp speed.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo cameras DO NOT work thru window glass.... the PIR needs the ir or reflection of same to detect motion.

Q cameras work fine thru glass as the detection system is pixel based ( sees changes in picture )

Morse is faster than texting!
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
Make sure you that you review the store when complaining about retail employees giving false information. It's not Netgear's fault when a retailer doesn't educate their personnel properly.
DMMKKD
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tried both Arlo Q and Arlo Smart Wireless.  Straightly enough, the Arlo Q can deter motion through double panel window glass while Arlo Smart wireless fails to do so.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not strange at all. The passive IR detector in the wireless cameras can't detect through glass because the glass blocks IR. The Q uses a pixel-change scheme so doesn't rely on IR.

Welee
Aspirant
Aspirant
If you turn the ir off will it detect through glass? Can you record through glass?
Welee
Aspirant
Aspirant
Never.Ind, I was thinking of the night vision, but I still want to know if you can record through glass.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Q cameras, yes.  Wireless cameras, motion won't be detected unless you just happen to have a specific glass (unknown what that is) that allows IR to pass in sufficient amounts.  You can record using live view but motion detection won't generally work.  That's why these are outdoor-rated.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
You can, of course, record through glass, but not detect, as already pointed out.

So, with a two-camera setup you could use the one camera (that is unobstructed by glass) to detect a moving object and setup a rule so that a second camera behind glass would record the scene.

A possible scenario could be that the camera behind glass is placed on a higher floor to provide a better overview of the scene, and the camera closer to the ground acts solely as a trigger for the other camera. Of course, most likely, adequate lighting would have to be provided at night from additional (external) light sources.

Techlore
Apprentice
Apprentice

To clear up any confusion. This has already been mentioned in this thread but I want to make sure things are clear.

The Arlo/Arlo Pro DO NOT record through glass - this is due to how their motion detection works with an IR sensor.

To record through your Window get the Arlo Q - because it uses pixel-based motion detection

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation