Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can GeoFence Use Reference Counting for enabled devices?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
RicS
Aspirant
Aspirant

When using GeoFencing with two or more enabled devices, when one leaves the GeoFence Arlo seems to arm the system. What I would like is Arlo to arm only when the last enabled device has left the house. This will prevent arming and the extra events being texted, when someone is still at home. 

I have enabled one iPhone each for my pardner and myself. If she goes out and a dog walks in front of a camera; I don't want the system armed and producing events. However if I leave as well, being the last one out; I would like to see the Arlo arm and start watching. 

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RicS,

Geofencing is designed to operate on a "first in, last out basis". This means that if any device is in the Geofencing radius the "Home" mode will enable, and the "Away" mode should only enable when the last device has left the radius.

For this to work be sure the app stays logged in, is running and location is enabled on your devices. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

When using multiple devices, the secondary devices should be logged into the app via shared account through the "Grant Access" feature so that both devices are logged in using the mobile app. Take a look at this article for more information: How do I add and manage multiple mobile devices for geofencing?

If you are having trouble with this, consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Geofencing is still a Beta feature at this time and the engineering team is working hard to improve it. We appreciate any and all feedback related to this feature.

JamesC

RicS
Aspirant
Aspirant

After some time working with GeoFencing, I have a couple of suggestions for documentation or behavior changes that would have made my experience a bit easier.

1)  The discussion on running GeoFencing might be changed a bit to include that “Background Refresh” works and counts as running. In my case, I don’t want to see the Arlo app every time I switch windows; but enabling it for “Background Refresh” still works great. I checked an Apple development documentation and learned that entering or leaving the GPS Zone activates apps running, including those in Background Refresh. Perfect for my needs; Set Up GeoFencing in the App, Close the App,  Background Refresh the App, and enjoy. 

2) Change the “Geofencing at Home is now “home” or “away” mode message. I strikes me that changing this message when there are shared devices. This way when you leave and wife and child are still home, you just get the message that you have left. If a child were to leave with shared device they would get the same message, but I get nothing. (Like Now) But when the last shared device leaves, make that message stand out; use caps or italics, or diff. color for the word AWAY or HOME. Make it stand out: we get many notifications a day, many of them while the device is in your pocket. You see them all at once and this short message is hard to find even when you are looking for it.  Another feature could be to notify you when, the child leaves the zone and when the wife leaves the zone. Then follow with the enhanced message.  Two messages side by side like when I am the last to leave. I didn’t go the dev kit; but can a notification be “sticky”? (Stay on Top or Stay Last)

Tell the development team they are on to something here. Even though this is in beta, it is the only way I use Arlo anymore.  Even though all the notifications are not to my liking, I trust that the Base Station is turning off and on to conform to what I set up; particularly after I understood the Background Refresh thing and

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation