Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo app no longer working / connecting to internet

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
FfAaSs
Tutor
Tutor

Help !

I've had an Arlo base station with 3 wire free cameras for 5 months now and never had any issues. I set it up using the App from Amazon on a 7'' fire ,also here no issues until a weekago. The app just will not connect to the internet ( at least that's the error message at the top of the screen / app logon screen ) , I have tried deleting the app fron all devices including cloud and downloaded new , nothing Smiley LOL

Before when starting the app it would connect straight away but now when opening the app, the logon screen appears and after entering the neccesary it just shows the error message ( I am connected to the internet though ! )

I can still get into my account using a PC Browser but not the fire browser, here it just asks which app I want to download , which I already have 

Any ideas ???

12 REPLIES 12
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you fully stopped the Fire and re-started ( instead of normal sleep mode )?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
FfAaSs
Tutor
Tutor

Hi TomMac ,

Yes, i have tried that a few times , no luck.

I have now downloaded the app from my amazon cloud onto my fire phone , and that works , just the fire tablet not , although all other apps work , strange .

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

FfAaSs wrote:

Hi TomMac ,

Yes, i have tried that a few times , no luck.

I have now downloaded the app from my amazon cloud onto my fire phone , and that works , just the fire tablet not , although all other apps work , strange .

Don't know , the Fire's are Android but running a shell that may effect operation

... Do know that I have an old version on my wife's Kindle Fire ( first gen ) and it keeps wanting to update. Don't know if the newer version is compatable with the older unit... ( so I don't )

EDIT ; just went to chk before posting... version I have ( my wife may have updated ) no longer works .. Just says " not connect to internet " and drops to log screen so can't troubleshoot.

May be same as other thread here;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Apps/Android-App-states-quot-You-are-not-connected-to-the-inte...

cindyo10
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I am having the same problem with both my Android phone and Amazon Kindle table. Both were working fine until a couple of weeks ago, now both return an error message that I am not connected to the Internet, however my Windows desktop PC is connecting with no problems. I also uninstalled/reinstalled the Arlo app from both the phone and Kindle tablet. No change - both are still displaying the "no connection to the Internet" error.

I contacted tech support through chat and she said a tech would call me back. I was never contacted. I also asked for the website login address to use that as an alternative until the app is fixed. She said a tech would call me back for that too. Very disappointed in the level of support for such an expensive system. I hope they fix this issue ASAP.

Cindy

FfAaSs
Tutor
Tutor

Hi

I read the other thread last week and took some of the advice i.e. delete , reload etc , but nothing works , hence this new thread to try and resolve , thanks anyway

As to the app update : I always had the pop-up when the app used to work on the fire tab, thought it strange that after downloading a new app it would want to update itself , anyway , i tried the first few times but the app just takes you to the google-play store , and if you know amazon and their fires . . . . . . It won't allow you to download from GP !

Seriously thinking of ditching the amazon hardware . 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There are to many people having the same problem with the same app for it to be on 'our' end...

Wait till tomorrow and I think Netgear will get on it for a solution

FfAaSs
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I have checked the version nr of the app on my kindle fire HD and see that it is 2.0.3_12012

The app version in my amazon cloud and fire phone is 2.1.0_12984

When I try to “send to device“ from the cloud it is now only showing the fire phone as an option and not the kindle, if I request “show all devices“ my phone has a green “tick“ and my kindle has a red “x“

So . . . . . My assumption is that amazon updated the app a couple of weeks ago and the older kindles ( mine's a HD7 from 2012 ) are no longer compatible, so everyone has to buy a new kindle (not) 

I will now write to amazon to get their take on things, I'll keep you posted.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Amazon has been known to not update their store as often or as quickly as the Google store.  The app has to keep pace with changes on the servers and firmware so using the latest app is a Good Thing.  I'm sure Amazon doesn't modify the app but just places new versions for download on a relaxed timeframe.  The issue _may_ be the OS version rather than anything else. No one supports everything forever.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have escalated this issue to the engineering team for further investigation. I will post an update once I have more information. Any additional feedback is appreciated.

JamesC

FfAaSs
Tutor
Tutor
Hi
I wrote to Amazon asking if my kindle (running an Android 4.0...) and the Arlo app requirement of min Android 4.1... was the issue , here their answer :
Quote-
I looked into the issue and I found out that we do have a known problem with this particular "Arlo" app. Our technicians are working on it and the developer is also informed. In this case I must ask you for a little patience.

For now I can not tell you if the app will be available for your device again in the future. For more information you may contact the developer of the app:
http://arlo.com
Unquote-
Lets hope us older kindle users (old kindles not users 😕 ) can use the app again
cindyo10
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi ElaineM,

Unfortunately, I have not found a solution yet. I am no longer able to use my Amazon Kindle or my HTC phone (Android 4.0) to access my Arlo system. At one time there was a web page that allowed Arlo users to sign on directly from a browser, but the link is no longer active. Netgear should reactivate that option to provider users with older technology an alternate log in method. That would solve the problem and not leave us with an very expense yet unusable security system.

cindyo10

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

cindyo10,

The Arlo mobile app requires Android 4.1 or higher, this is likely why it no longer works on your HTC/kindle devices.

You should still be able to log in via web client? Are you using this address to get to the login page: https://arlo.netgear.com/#/login

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation